OM Lx 4.0 does not work with TV Monitor

I am disappointed that we did not catch this in testing. We need to add testing for dual monitors and TV’s as monitor to our testing for graphic package stack and for ISO testing. I will attempt to get this done.

Also I wish I could promise faster results on a solution for users but I’m being realistic. Right now a majority or our developers are buried by their day jobs or other life events and there just isn’t much person power available for problem solving. With OM I seem to observe that out problem solving goes in spurts where a lot gets done for a period of time and lulls where not much happens for a while. If users can be patient (not easy for me to do) we should be able to get this fixed it’s just a question of when.

omv-bug-report.log.txt (426.9 KB)
This is my report.

Can it be useful ?

Bug Report started.

1 Like

I am able to get this to work on my notebook and my desktop with this workaround. Whether this is something @zaivala can use we shall see.

For @alangea in your case we should wait and see what you get after you straighten out your Storage drive partition tables and reinstall you system with one set of repositories only.

@Colin is away for 4-5 days. We will get back to work on trying to find a cause for this at some point. At present no other developers have any time available to problem solve this.

I have purchased a MiniDisplayPort-to-HDMI adapter for my laptop, and will check to see if I still have the issue shortly. I hope not.

I’ve re-installed system and put all to the right terms. Now: What I can try to see (and listen) things from my PC on TV monitor, connected by an HDMI cable ?

What really happens is, when I reboot with TV connected by an HDMI cable, initially both Monitors (that are in different rooms) are visible, then TV monitor shows the desktops, the PC monitor sticks on the initial view. Soon a window pops up on the TV monitor, that apparently should allow switching to one monitor or another, or both (this I understood from the showed monitors sketch) but, since the keyboard and the mouse are in the other room, I cannot do nothing; as well mouse seems not to have any effect on what eventually happens on TV monitor.
Of course, I neither could look at the monitor settings, whether another display except the PC one was available. Even after having seen the TV monitor activated (with th PC one locked), once disconnected the TV no information was registered on the kscreen file about the TV.

As well , NO audio I heard on TV. This is another issue. I think that developers should cope these issues, on the basis of the bug report mentioned by Ben. On my side, I don’t know what to do, since the TV and PC monitors are in different rooms. Unless Ben could suggest anything to insert in the kscreen file, (but I don’t know information about TV), or something else.
Practically, I’m in stand by.

@alangea thanks for reporting. There has not been any work on this recently. The best person for this problem has been unavailable due to personal issues.

I followed suggestion by Ben:

• Connected HDMI (as HDMI-1)

• Typed xandr -q and HDMI-1 was connected

• Typed xrandr --addmode HDMI-1 “1920x1080”

• In the file present in ./local/share/kscreen there were information about TV monitor, but TV monitor was disabled

• Enabled TV monitor (enabled:true) then shuttted down system.

• When system booted up, TV monitor was visible, PC monitor not, but command and mouse were active. So I executed the command for the system settings, and in monitor and video section I unified exits (both monitor were present).

• Now BOTH monitor were visible BUT: NO AUDIO on TV.

• I went in the multimedia section of system settings; in the audio devices were active both audio analogical internal stereo and GF108 HD Audio Controller Digital stereo (HDMI-2 ) ! Why ? Should be HDM1 !

Suggestions ?
I hope my report will be useful to developers to fix this annoying bug. After all, we are on the right way on…

P.S.: I cannot show you a snapshot of the audio settings interface, because screengrab crashed, because of lack of a library (screengrab: error while loading shared libraries: libuploader.so.1.0.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
Is there a way to get around this inconvenient, or another graphical capture tool I could use instead ?

Spectacle is KDE screen shot utility. Installed by default with OM Lx 4.0

1 Like

OK Spectacle works. I’ll open a specific thread for the audio problem, waiting for news about the definitive resolution of the dual monitor issue.

OK, right now we may not have anyone available to work on this. The reasons are different for each individual but right now about half our devs aren’t available.

This one reason why progress in OM comes in spurts sometimes and slows to a crawl sometimes. Just nature of an all volunteer and very small group. I doubt anyone likes this.

Help ! I tried to type the xandr command on bash console, and system tells it cannot be found !
Yesterday was working…nothing changed in the system !

You mean this:

OMG!

Post-edit: There is a workaround.

xander ? I meant xandr.

Neither is correct.

You still don’t get it?

The command did not disappear. How would that happen? Evaporation?

You are not typing the correct command. That is what the link is for. To show the correct command.

Sorry, you were right. I typed xandr, my sight is sweeping away.
Dont’ understand why the command xrandr see HDMI-1, but the sound card signals HDMI-2.
Is this one the reason why, when I connect TV at HDMI-1, and unifify exits, I can see display on TV, but cannot hear on TV ?
I tried, of course to connect TV at HDMI-2 port, but xrandr didn’t catch it, and I couldn’t use your workaround.

1 Like