OM Lx 4.0 does not work with TV Monitor

My computers all have Intel graphics this one has:

$ inxi -G
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics driver: i915 v: kernel 
           Display: x11 server: OpenMandriva X.org 1.20.5 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Haswell Desktop v: 4.5 Mesa 19.1.0

The above post were done on my desktop where I can unplug my regular monitor. I try this on a notebook and it does not work well at all. So my above posts are meant to show that some part of this is working but there are clearly some issues with this also.

You all should know by now I’m a user in terms on knowledge not a developer. However I’m starting to wonder if this is not somehow related to how systemd and graphics work together? Or not, just wondering.

It seems then that this is related to the (VGA) TV screen. Since you have installed Lx4 and it boots right up to the point of display detection. Ben points out that it took a which to stabilise have you tried giving it some time?
Getting more diagnostics is important for us to have any chance of finding out what is breaking.
To do this you will need to first boot the INSTALLED sytem to the point when the display appears to lock up. I have a feeling this might be something quite simple. Most laptops have key combination that switches the display output from the integral screen to an external screen. It could be that on that there is a race between the activation of these key combinations and the screen selection program.
Have you tried manually switching back to the laptop screen using the key combination. Can you reactivate the laptop screen?
If this does not work try pressing alt+ctrl+F2 does this switch either display to console mode (command prompt). If it does then we can get some diagnostics immediately.
This command:-
sudo journalctl -b --nopager >bootlog.txt
Will create the file bootlog.txt in your home directory please attach this file to the bug report.
Please also attach the file .local/share/sddm/xorg-session.log from your home directory.
If you are unable to activate the console mode with alt+ctrl+F2 then reboot the machine without the TV screen connected and run this slightly changed command to get the info required.
sudo journalctl -b -1 --nopager >bootlog.txt
Again please attach the the file .local/share/sddm/xorg-session.log from your home directory.
I would encourage you to file a bug report for this problem so that all developers on the team get to view the problem. This may prompt additional responses.

2 Likes

At the present time, now that I have the system (OM4) installed, it boots up, shows the flowered screen, plays the music, and while the music is playing the screen blanks. I have waited several minutes and nothing else happens. I have a black screen with a mouse pointer, which moves freely as directed, but nothing else.
I believe my next move is to attempt to get out of KDE, I believe the keystrokes are Ctrl-Alt-F3… am I correct? Without this, there is no way to get to a terminal, except to reinstall (without telling OM4 to use the external monitor, hurting my eyes) and then run whatever commands would be wanted from Terminal.

They are called VTs or Virtual Terminals. You are correct in how to access them. To be specific the keys Ctl>Alt>F2-6 should all go to a VT. To return to desktop is Ctl>Alt>F1. If you can do that using the TV and gather the information that will be awesome. Otherwise follow what @Colin suggests as he is a developer and I’m not. In a VT you should be able to do anything you would in Konsole or any other terminal on your desktop.

And I do realize this is not exactly easy for you. It will be helpful for OM the distro if we can find what is wrong and get it corrected so your efforts are much appreciated.

Continuing the discussion from OM Lx 4.0 'LIve' ISO does not work with TV Monitor:

I just ran my phone with video for a seven-minute boot process, at the end of which I did Ctrl-alt-f3, got to a terminal, and created the bug report you requested. My only difficulty now is accessing that bug report and sending it to you. I suppose I could display it on the screen and take a photo but it may be larger than the photo.

OK, I’m back on my desktop continuing this. The phone version of Firefox was harder than I thought it would be to use in this forum.

Education time: How do I get to my OM4 partition and copy the bug report I just created? Those are usually hidden files, and I have yet to successfully access them on a different partition than the one I’m on. I will go try and see if I can get it before waiting for the help just requested.

Update: I managed to get into there. But the report is not there. /usr/bin/omv-bug-report.sh is what I believe I’m looking for… Oops was looking on the wrong partition.

Moderator: Removed script. Please attach things like that as a .txt file. Anything longer than 20 lines should go in a .txt file and attach the file here.

Is it accurate to say I did not find the log, but the script? That’s the only omv-bug-report.* I can find. So sorry that I’m not more qualified to do this stuff, but if we keep going I may be yet LOL.

Trying to add video…

Yes, you have to run the script.

$ sudo sh omv-bug-report.sh

That will create a compressed file ‘omv-bug-report.log.xz’ and you would attach that here.

In the same folder? I did not find one.

Yes it would create the file in the folder where you run the script unless you tell it to do otherwise.

Output would look like this:

omv-bug-report.log.xz (63.3 KB)

YAYYYY I’m rapidly getting less stupid.

It actually was in /home/zaivala, not /usr/bin

1 Like

Yes that is it. If you want to see what is in it do this:

$ unxz omv-bug-report.log.xz

Then it will be simply omv-bug-report.log and you can open a read it with kwrite or kate.

Post-edit: The Systemd boot log (line 3961) and /var/log/Xorg.0.log (line 4858) are most likely where you would see something related to this issue. Now we need @Colin or other developer to look and see if they see anything.

:roll_eyes:

1 Like

kdeinit5[1306]: kscreen.kded: Failed to find a matching mode - this means that our config is corruptedor a different device with the same serial number has been connected (very unlikely).Falling back to preferred modes.
This looks a likely candidate.
Please upload the file created by this command.
tar czvf kscreeninfo.tar.gz ~/.local/share/kscreen/
After you have uploaded the file you could try to clear the files in tar czvf kscreeninfo.tar.gz ~/.local/share/kscreen/ and reboot. There is a small chance that this may resolve the issue.

1 Like

Hello,
I installed OMLx-4. When I connect my TV by HDMI cable, it let me see through the TV monitor, but the PC is black. It seems not recognizeing more than one monitor. Nothing changed in tho hardware. Of course, in LX3 it was all OK.

Reported here.

At the end:

• Have I to wait for future improvements? (I know well that OMA human resources are limited)
  • Which command may help to detect my problems ?( Maybe there are trivial patches I could do myself).

Consider my TV is in a room far away the computer, so I can’t use the keyboard and watch TV monitor at the same time.
Still, it is strange to me that Lx 3.01 had never shown such problems. Even with the Sound card, there is only analogical media, no Digital one in LX4.

How could I get information on my hardware ?

Yes, so far I haven’t been able to get any developer to look at this besides @Colin and he is to busy with other things to expect any resolution for a least a few weeks. FWIW several other developers are to busy with their day jobs and/or life events to do much with OM at this time.

Read this and this.

Someone needs to file a proper bug report on this issue. The bug report needs to include the omv-bug-report.log.xz file. Also if needed will be the information requested here and here.