What applications are missing in OM Lx 4?

(Ben Bullard) #1

Hello,

• OpenMandriva Lx version:
    Lx 4

• Desktop environment (KDE, LXQT…):
    All

• Description of the issue (screenshots if relevant):
    Handful of users seem to thing OM Lx 4 is “lacking application”.

• Relevant informations (hardware involved, software version, logs or output…):

A few users have mentioned that OM Lx 4 is “lacking applications”. Developers suggested that “lacking applications” is to generic of a statement. How could anyone fix that. Developers want to know specifically what applications are missing that our users or potential new users would like to see included in our repositories? So please if you think there is something missing let us know in this thread.

I also asked developers “What software have Y’all removed from repositories”. Answer other than drakxtools nothing comes to mind. So developers are well baffled by the “lacking applications”, they don’t understand what people think is missing.

The dropping drakxtools has been announced and pretty well covered previously and over time we hope to develop new software or backport software from other sources to replace these. That is a WIP (Work in Progress) that will continues after OM Lx 4 is released. The reason for doing this is that it has gotten to difficult to develop with up to date Linux tool-chain packages and keep the ancient, decrepit code of drakxtools working. In retrospect we probably should have done this a few years ago. But then hindsight is 20/20.

So the situation with both drakxtools and URPM is not something missing it is something being replaced. Granted in the case of drakxtools that is going to take some time but that is unavoidable with our current resources.

Drakxtools are basically system administration tools. Obviously one can do most things drakxtools could do a whole lot more from the command line. Now is the perfect time for users to weigh in on what they want in the way of GUI system administration tools.

And please be sure you have enabled all repositories before mentioning a missing application.

(Ben Bullard) #2

This is currently the command to enable all active repos in OM Lx4 Beta/Cooker. This will change rather soon when we do the OM Lx 4 RC release. (I"m intending to change this when that happens, if I don’t remind me to please.)

$ sudo dnf config-manager --enable cooker-x86_64-contrib cooker-x86_64-restricted cooker-x86_64-non-free cooker-x86_64

To disable replace --enable with --disable. To enable or disable a specific repo, well you can figure that out can’t you?

(rugyada) #3

Dear users, please read also this and this.
You are welcome to write your suggestions here below.

(rugyada) #4

See also the newly created category.