Virtual box not working

1. To be safe run this in Konsole as root:

# grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

All that does is rebuild your grub boot menu. I prefer to do this after installing kernel headers and kernel devel packages.

1. Then reboot.

2. Now remove virtualbox and dkms-virtualbox packages.

# urpme -v virtualbox dkms-virtualbox

then:

# urpmi -v virtualbox dkms-virtualbox

copy and paste the output of this and save it to a file in case there is a problem or if the same problem persists. ‘dkms-virtualbox’ builds the virtualbox kernel modules. The error reported indicates that may not have been done correctly before. So we are hoping the up to date kernel headers corrects this.

1. Then reboot again and check virtualbox however you normally do.

Um, no it isn’t. That is a xz compressed bug report log. It is something that is to be attached to a bug report.

And you are showing an up to date kernel headers package:
kernel-release-headers-4.11.3-2-omv2015.0.x86_64

so if have had this all along and are still seeing this problem then I’m afraid a bug report is necessary.

In attach you can see the kernel update and the virtualbox uninstall and re-install bue after the reboot nothing change
vbox.txt (42,8 KB)

1 Like

Open bug 2209

For alangea and Mila: please insert your comment in this bug if neccesary

thks

1 Like

Just for your information. You say “after kernel install”. You did not install a kernel. If you read the output it tells you that:

I pacchetti kernel-release-desktop-devel-4.11.3-2omv-1-1-omv2015.0.x86_64, kernel-release-headers-4.11.3-2-omv2015.0.x86_64 sono gi installati

that’s telling you those are already installed. Then it installs:

$MIRRORLIST: media/main/updates/kernel-release-desktop-devel-latest-4.11.3-2-omv2015.0.x86_64.rpm
installazione di kernel-release-desktop-devel-latest-4.11.3-2-omv2015.0.x86_64.rpm da /var/cache/urpmi/rpms
In preparazione...               ####################################################
      1/1: kernel-release-desktop-devel-latest

‘kernel-release-desktop-devel-latest’ isn’t a kernel package. It is a holder that ensures that when there is the new (-latest) ‘kernel-release-desktop-devel’ the new package is installed automatically. That’s all it does it has nothing to do with the function of your system. Hope this makes sense.

Thanks for filing the bug report.

Totally OT: how can I remove old and unused Kernel?

1 Like

It is unfortunate that this didn’t correct the virtualbox issue but it is important that you now have an up to date kernel-release-headers. And I’m sure you see the bug report started by albpanig.

To all sorry I wasn’t able to be of more help.

When I get some time all answer this in English support forum. The reason being that if something like this is buried in a post with a completely different topic other users can’t find it.

Should get to it later today. (It’s still afternoon where I am).

J’ve got the same diagnostics when unistalling and reinstalling the virtual box. Virtual box is still not working.

1 Like

Please follow and update the bugs that I opened

1 Like

Ive just sent a report- bug

I might be wrong about this. Don’t be the person that finds out.

You didn’t see that albpanig already filed one?

https://issues.openmandriva.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2209

Sorry. No so expert in formal reporting.

1 Like

I confirm that urpmi doesn’t remove a working kernel: that’s all right !

1 Like

That’s OK.

Good to know.

alangea and Mila and anyone else with this problem. To follow or contribute to the bug report on this go to it and if necessary set up a bugzilla account. Then open the bug report and check the box that say something like “cc me to this bug report”.

If anyone with this issue has a virtualbox install log please attach it to the bug report.

Edit: When problem solving issues like this logs are frequently the most important information for developers to defining the cause of a problem.

Hi,
I have followed the last hint from the bug report.
It works.

Great.

2 Likes