Updating to OMV 2014.2

Hi all.
I have a question.
I want to update my system to 2014.2. I believe that it’s 2014.1, but some time ago, after some old bug, I was forced to change some config file so my system is now catalogued as 2014.0.
/etc/release says my system is 2014.1:

$ cat /etc/release
OpenMandriva Lx release 2014.1 (Phosphorus) for x86_64

But almost all files installed are 2014.0 (or have “2014.0” in their names), except very very few of them:

$ rpm -qa | grep 2014.1
python-javapackages-3.4.2-3.1-omv2014.1.noarch
javapackages-tools-3.4.2-3.1-omv2014.1.noarch
distro-release-common-2014.1-0.16-omv2014.0.x86_64
distro-release-OpenMandriva-2014.1-0.16-omv2014.0.x86_64
TiMidity++-2.14.1-0.20140127.1-omv2014.0.x86_64

This cause some problems (for example, with distro-release), as I already put in the old (?) forum (see https://forums.openmandriva.org/en/discussion/comment/4695/#Comment_4695).
The “release notes” page in OMV site (2014.2/Release Notes - Wiki [en] OpenMandriva) says that I can update to 2014.2 using:

# urpmi.removemedia -a

# urpmi.addmedia --distrib --mirrorlist 'http://downloads.openmandriva.org/mirrors/openmandriva.2014.0.x86_64.list'

Why the last command says “2014.0” instead of “2014.2”?

Lord have mercy. :astonished: You haven’t done this yet!!! I’m concerned that if you don’t update as instructed in the old forum you may break your system. You need to get:

$ rpm -qa distro-release-common

distro-release-common-2014.0-0.24-omv2014.0.x86_64

To answer your question. Because it’s a URL for the repository. The repository is called 2014.0. It is the only repository for 2014.x. Example 1: 2013.x is a different operating system from 2014.x.

Example 2: 2014.0, 2014.1, and 2014.2 are the same operating system at different points in time. They all use or used the same repository.
:scream:

1 Like

However that “.0” may be misleading.
Why not simply 2013, 2014 (or omlx2), 2015 (or omlx3), aso…
I might be wrong, but isn’t just matter of a directory rename?

rugyada, as always, you make good sense of the matter. The operating system should be called simply 2014 or what ever. Then in OMA syntax the .x is always just a time point.

And you are correct about the problem Sirius is having. It is a result of a directory rename or package rename some time ago. At one point in time I did as did some other OMA users updated the packages manually with rpm -e and rpm -ihv. It didn’t break anyone’s system.

I just did this on my system and nothing broke. :mask:

# rpm -e distro-release-common distro-release-OpenMandriva --nodeps
warning: /etc/sysconfig/system saved as /etc/sysconfig/system.rpmsave

# rpm -qa | grep distro-release

The above shows my system with no ‘distro-release-foo’ packages. :anguished:

# cd /home/ben79/Downloads

# ls
distro-release-common-2014.0-0.24-omv2014.0.x86_64.rpm  
distro-release-OpenMandriva-2014.0-0.24-omv2014.0.x86_64.rpm

# rpm -ihv *.rpm
Preparing...                ##################################### [100%]
   1:distro-release-OpenMandriva#...#####################[100%]
   2:distro-release-common  ##################################### [100%]

distro-release-OpenMandriva-2014.0-0.24-omv2014.0.x86_64

Problem solved - Enjoy :smiley:

Note: Packages are in OpenMandriva 2014.0 Main Updates repository.

Edit: If anyone notices there were a lot of edits to this post… Well hows about Y’all just don’t even worry 'bout that… :disappointed_relieved:

Happy new year to all !

Some answers:
Ben says: “You haven’t done this yet!!! I’m concerned that if you don’t update as instructed in the old forum you may break your system”
No, I didn’t do it. Why? Because my system works. So I don’t see the need of fix it so urgently, as the “problem” is not serious and I’m able to use and work with my PC.
Why I want to update it now. Because I think that having the 2014.2, being the “very last” stable version, it’s better at the time of detect and fox errors and problems. As already was said on the old thread, I know that there’s some risk trying to change things in the way that Ben says, and I barely understand that (the Ben’s proposal) it’s probably the better way to change that.

HOWEVER, note that my question was only: why it says “2014.0” instead of “2014.2”. I’m not asking about the change from 2014.0 to 2014.1. I’m taking about change to 2014.2. Then, the point of my question was “catched” by @rugyada. Is it just a matter of a directory name? And the original question remains: WHY I should use 2014.0 when I want to update to 2014.2???

Now the new data: I follow the step that the Release Notes says: erase all previous repositories (using urpmi.removemedia) and added the (supposedly) new ones (using urpmi.addmedia --distrib…), using the command WITH “2014.0”. As @Ben said, the directory is “2014.0”. There’s no “2014.2” option.

I just reboot my PC. Guess what? Nothing to update !!!

$ su -
Contraseña: 

# LC_ALL=C urpmi --auto-update --download-all --noclean
medium "main" is up-to-date
medium "main updates" is up-to-date
medium "Main32" is up-to-date
medium "Main32 Updates" is up-to-date
medium "contrib" is up-to-date
medium "contrib updates" is up-to-date
medium "contrib32" is up-to-date
medium "contrib32 updates" is up-to-date
medium "non-free" is up-to-date
medium "non-free updates" is up-to-date
medium "Non-free32" is up-to-date
medium "Non-free32 Updates" is up-to-date
medium "restricted" is up-to-date
medium "restricted updates" is up-to-date
Packages are up to date

# uname -a
Linux mypc.omv 4.1.12-nrjQL-desktop-1omv #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun Nov 15 14:42:41 UTC 2015 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

# cat /etc/release
OpenMandriva Lx release 2014.1 (Phosphorus) for x86_64

I REALLY THINK that something of the folloging is (or are) wrong:
Or the command propossed in the “Release Notes” to update to 2014.2
Or the “/etc/release” file
Or the way files are named in the repositories
Or the way that OMV subversions (the “.0” or the “.2”) are established

The “final mix” is that, at least apparently, my system as a lot of 2014.0 files, the “release” file says I have the 2014.1, and if I trying to update to 2014.2 nothing happens, so I have the most updated (2014.2?) version, even after apply what “Release Notes” says to update to 2014.2.

As a clue, I have the “The Scion” wallpapers loaded (I didn’t loaded manually, they appear after some update several months ago), so I think that I have the 2014.2 in some way.

Do you think that it really worthwhile trying to change “distro-release-common” (from 2014.1-0.16 to 2014.0-0.24)? (I must apply the “risky” proposal by @Ben). To my limited knownledge, it’s much more easy to create a 2014.1-0-24 RPM file in the repository.

And now another question: Why /etc/release doesn’t says “2014.2” if I did what “Release Notes” says to update to 2014.2? Is it because of distro-release-*?

I insist: why distro-release-common-2014.1-0.24-omv2014.0.x86_64.rpm is not created after all? (note the 2014.1 after “common-”, but not after “0.24-omv”).

How the OMV subversion number (or why) is used?

I did it too.

“Aftermath”:

distro-release-OpenMandriva-2014.0-0.24-omv2014.0.x86_64

Yeap, the “distro-release” problem is solved !

But the filenaming-system/subversions-of-OMV/names-of-directories-in-repos is not solved :wink: So the original question remains unanswered (why the directory is called “2014.0”).

And I “downgrade” my system even when I was trying to upgrade !!!:

# cat /etc/release
OpenMandriva Lx release 2014.0 (Phosphorus) for x86_64

Before applying the “risky recipe” /etc/release said my system was 2014.1. Now it says is 2014.0. Now I have a “Scion” screen, supposedly a 2014.2 system, but commands (cat /etc/release) and filenames (a lot of 2014.0 files) says it’s 2014.0, and my system is “very up-to-date”:

# LC_ALL=C date
Fri Jan  1 15:52:31 ART 2016

# LC_ALL=C urpmi --auto-update --download-all --noclean
medium "main" is up-to-date
medium "main updates" is up-to-date
medium "Main32" is up-to-date
medium "Main32 Updates" is up-to-date
medium "contrib" is up-to-date
medium "contrib updates" is up-to-date
medium "contrib32" is up-to-date
medium "contrib32 updates" is up-to-date
medium "non-free" is up-to-date
medium "non-free updates" is up-to-date
medium "Non-free32" is up-to-date
medium "Non-free32 Updates" is up-to-date
medium "restricted" is up-to-date
medium "restricted updates" is up-to-date
Packages are up to date

I hope that you understand that my system works well and the naming problem seems to have no serious consequences, but I think that it would be better for all if there are more “consistency” between versions and naming and all. A novice user can follow the steps that appear in “Release Notes” and finish with a system that says 2014.0 when he/she wants a 2014.2.

OK, looks like I may have overreached in my last post. I apologize for that, and apologies if I offended in any way. Not my intention. And you do have a fair point about the confusion in the package/release naming. Why it’s that way I don’t know.

Hi Ben.
I didn’t offend in any way !
Sorry if I wasn’t clear. But I’m not English native and maybe I’m making disasters trying to say what I’m trying to say.

My final guess is that my system is really a 2014.2. But it doesn’t say that in any place. And now, it doesn’t say it’s 2014.1 even ! It’s a mix, and it can be very confusing. But my system works, and that’s enough !! :wink:

No problem whilst I have the most updated version and bugs and problems I may have are not due I have a previous OMV version.

Sirius you do just fine with English. And you’ve brought up a point where the naming of packages and release versions is confusing. Hopefully it can be corrected in OMLx 3… If not in 2014.

anyway with

cat /README
you have this result:
 OpenMandriva Lx 2014.2 final.Welcome to OpenMandriva Lx 2014.2, an update release.

This final release of OpenMandriva Lx has received QA testing 
and is thought to be stable.
The release support UEFI booting, but on some machines
it may be necessary to turn off UEFI in the machine's BIOS.

We hope you enjoy  our work.

Well now. That’s some good information.Thanks jojodu34.

Yes, it’s 2014.2 (there’s a little typo in your message, @jojodu34):

$ cat /README
OpenMandriva Lx 2014.2 final.

Welcome to OpenMandriva Lx 2014.2, an update release.

This final release of OpenMandriva Lx has received QA testing 
and is thought to be stable.
The release support UEFI booting, but on some machines
it may be necessary to turn off UEFI in the machine's BIOS.

We hope you enjoy  our work.

Is not easier than “.0” and “.1” are used for the most-updated-ISO filename only, while maintaining simple file and directory names in repositories (i.e., without “.0” or “.1”)?
Then, files and directories would be called with “omv2014” and “omv3” (or “omvlx3”) in their names instead of “omv2014.0”. I’m with @rugyada in this !

Maybe it was a trivial choice at the very beginning, maybe it will be easy to fix. Or it has/had some unknown (at most of us) technical reasons.
I’ll ask devs and try to get more info on this, and if possible to have it fixed.

Life is short, let’s make it easy :slight_smile:

Me too.

see, in 2014, the answer which TPG made me in the same problem

Continuando la discusión desde Updating to OMV 2014.2:

To fix the “problem” in 2014 can be dangerous (it already was, really) or tedious.
To design the new directories tree and file name conventions for OMV Lx3 is much more easy in my opinion, because Lx3 was not launched yet.

Wait… let’s not mix the stuff.

One thing is to speak about rename a directory - or folder if you like more.
Quite another matter is to change the suffix (or what name developers call it)

If we speak of the “2014.0” in some-name-package-omv2014.0.x86_64, then it’s a no-no!

Here there are some serious technical reasons for which it would not be sane at all to make such a change.
We should not care of suffix, it’s just a part of filename.rpm.

yes don’t mix the stuff !

anyway for 2014.2 it’s too late, and it’s a good reason not to make the same mistakes.
the history(at least I think) :
in abf you have a repo named 2014.0, but after some time appeared the 2014.1 version, then the 2014.2 release. But everything was put in the same directory.which led to have false files of version.This is not trivial, it creates confusion for users and leads to the malfunction of some programs.
for instance inxi and om-welcome. for om-welcome the workaround was to abandon the command lsb_release -d | cut -d":" -f2 for read the file /README created for this.

therefore retain the lessons of previous versions.
a directory named 2015 ,omvlx3, whatever with the cooker *2015.rpm inside.
think before making a Version .1

just my opinion (may be all that is not feasible) :grinning:

One question: the Beta of OMV Lx3 already have the “.omv2015.0” suffix.

Is it too late to change that to “omvlx3” or similar for the Final Release?