System set-up recommendations to accomodate multiple device data sharing?

Continuing the discussion from Some questions about UIDs, GIDs, urpmi and auto-update after installation of OMa 4.3:

and, even earlier yet…

Continuing the discussion from Methods of sharing a common data location between multiple OS versions:

Hello,

• OpenMandriva Lx versions:
    ROME Plasma x86_64
    ROME Plasma znver1
    COOKER Plasma x86_64
    COOKER Plasma znver1

• Desktop environment (KDE, LXQT…):
    KDE

• Description of the issue (screenshots if relevant):
    Networking muliple machines to share access to the same data and backup drives

• Relevant informations (hardware involved, software version, logs or output…):
    4 desktop x86_64
    1 Ryzen znver1
    2 AMD laptops x86_64
    Several Android phones, notebooks, & tablets

The entire original post title does not generally reflect my interest exactly, but after searching previous discussions, the second one was slightly more familiar… and specific to address my concerns.

These were both posted and closed years ago; there are newer devices and newer software, and maybe newer methods.

I wondered if there is anything new to add to the previous excellent advice:

I am interested in sharing data and backup drives between these various devices, and I was curious to find what others experiences have led them to prefer.
Nothing particularly high security, and probably wouldn’t require communication beyond short range office intranet. Mobile devices could be sufficiently connected within near-office range.

I think I would like this:

• Separate OS’s on separate dedicated operating system drives, one OS per drive, each with only the boot information and choices related to that drive/OS combination, being booted by the boot drive selection hierarchy presettable to your preference in the BIOS, or via a BIOS boot override.

• All non-system (i. e., not replaceable with a fresh install) settings, data, backups, etc. automatically stored, or at least copied, on a separate dedicated storage drive, with another identical drive copy automatically continuously maintained for redundancy safety.

Any updates and/or further comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Mike

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.