Scanner requires root password

Ben,
these are minor issues; I would like to fix them just for convenience.
os-prober returns nothing and mounting the Windows partition makes no difference.
As for permissions, my scanner runs fine as a user only after I do ‘su root’ and set chmod o+rw /dev/bus/usb/001/007
Putting this command in rc.local seems useless. Is there a way to run this command automatically at boot?

Post-edit: This is good general information for all users posting about technical issues in this forum.

To get answers in this forum post a new thread for each issue with a descriptive title and enough detailed information that someone else has something with which to problem solve the issue. Using internet search can help to discover what information to provide. Like this for the Windows not recognized issue:

Using Startpage for search and this for search term “Linux windows partition is not found” the first entry I found is:

fix-ubuntu-not-detecting-windows-10-partition-during-install

While the article references Ubuntu everything in it is pretty generic to most Linux distros.

As far as the scanner issue we don’t even know what software you are using that does that. Here Skanlite does not require a root password for scanning. Try doing an internet search of something like “Linux <some_scanner_software> requires root password”. Be creative and think up other search terms if needed.

Again using Startpage and search term “Linux scanner requires root password” the first entry I find is:

scanning-only-works-under-sudo-ubuntu

In both cases above I publish a link to very first article listed. However don’t make the mistake of only looking at first few articles listed or the first page only. You keep looking and if necessary changing search term until you find answers that fit your issue.

Don’t be surprised that a lot of the first articles you will see reference Unbuntu or other popular distros. That does not mean these are not valid answers to a lot of issues with Linux operating systems in general. I find a lot of answers in documentation for Fedora, and Arch LInux as well as (Gasp!!!) Ubuntu. YMMV.

1 Like

@Ben,
we are responding this thread almost at the same time…
Just a little update in case it may be helpful to others.
I read a lot about sane and user permission issues, but nothing was really useful for my case.
I confirm that adding a chmod line in rc.local is totally useless.
Instead, I solved by editing the file: /lib/udev/rules.d/50-udev-default.rules and changing the line that contains permissions for USB devices
SUBSYSTEM==“usb”, ENV{DEVTYPE}==“usb_device”, MODE=“0664”
into:
SUBSYSTEM==“usb”, ENV{DEVTYPE}==“usb_device”, MODE=“0666”

As for missing dual boot, I’ll try and focus on this issue now.
Since os-prober does not return anything, I just hope it is not related to uefi in some ways.

Good work on that. Looking forward to what you find about Windows not recognized issue.

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Login after re-installing root partition only

To reinforce my point about detailed information.

Is this the scanner?

If is is then you can see here that it is listed as unsupported. I do not know if the Sane project: Supported Devices list is up to date but that is what it says.

I also see that OM’s sane packages are out of date.

I’m using skanlite and it does not require any root password.

1 Like

Same here. And neither did xsane in OM Lx 4.1 last time I tested. Don’t if this could be different for different hardware like @Marco’s device.

I confirm my scanner (a Nortek myscan 1200 which is managed as a Plustek S12) is quite old, but it still works great with Sane.
Anyway, I have read many people have user permission issues with scanners, but cases are quite different between them.