OpenMandriva Lx 4.3 and kernel 5.16

Hello,

• Lx 4.3:

• KDE:

Good day. Sorry for the stupid question. I would like to ask about the kernel. OpenMandriva Lx 4.3 using kernel version 5.16.

As far as I know, this kernel version is EOL. As I understand it, this version will no longer receive any security updates. So I have a question. Is this kernel version supported by OM developers? If not, what to do?

Hello @Isolrubin_BK1975

for the users who need or want the most updated software it would be better our rolling release ROME.

Version upgrade is possible, there are some guides at the forum.
Fresh install is always the best choice though.

Thanks for the reply. I don’t think choosing Rome is the right decision (for me). It’s strange that long term kernel for the Rock wasn’t chosen. By the way, it doesn’t matter. Since stability and security are very important to me, I chose another distribution - Debian 11.

Yes Rock is basically a snapshot with the most up-to-date software at the time of release. After, it will receive just a few updates.
Debian 11 can be a good choice for you.

As far as the kernel OpenMandriva builds it’s own kernel packages based on source packages at kernel.org. So our devs can add whatever packages or bug fixes the deem necessary whenever they need to. I believe it works like this: the longterm designation at kernel.org is not relevant to OM kernel packages. More about releases at kernel.org.

As far a Rock kernels one of the OM kernel devs said:

If we do have to provide a kernel update for rock when its kernel is no longer supported, we’ve traditionally never been scared of just using a newer kernel version

My understanding is Rock kernel support does not end until a particular version of Rock is EOL. So support for kernels in 4.2, 4.1, 4.0 is over. kernel in 4.3 is supported until 4.3 is EOL. (EOL is typically only about month or two after a new Rock release.)

I suppose what constitutes stability and security is in the eyes of the beholder. ROME has been just as stable as Rock in about 1 and half years of extensive testing. ROME would be more secure because of more up to date packages.

1 Like

Forgive me, perhaps there is a simpler way to say what I meant in above post.

If you are using kernels from kernel.org then their designation of longterm means something.

If you are using kernels built by OpenMandriva it does not.

Edit: Of course user can cheat and do this: