OM Lx 3 running a little hot lately? (CPU temp)

Hello,

• OpenMandriva Lx version:
    OM Lx 3 on 2 different partitions one is fully updated with standard repos and the other is fully updated with testing repos. Both show high temps. As best I can tell this has occurred for 2 weeks of less.

• Desktop environment (KDE, LXQT…):
    KDE/Plasma5

• Description of the issue (screenshots if relevant):
    Screenshot shows reading of sensors with Konsole, Quassel, and Firefox open and not much else going on. This is more than 20-25 degrees C higher than readings I used to get on OM Lx 3 say a month or more ago. To be fair the readings keep going up and down and this is the high end of what I’ve seen. The lowest temp readings are still up 5-10 degrees C compared to what I used to see in Lx 3 and what I still see in other Linux partitions (openSUSE, Manjaro).

• Relevant informations (hardware involved, software version, logs or output…):
    This is on a hardware system on a multi-boot computer. I will post a screen shot from another partition on same computer to demonstrate difference.

Hardware info:

$ inxi -F                                                                                                                                                 
System:    Host: ben79-pc Kernel: 4.15.18-desktop-1omv x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.10.5                                                                           
           Distro: OpenMandrivaLinux 3.0 Einsteinium                                                                                                                        
Machine:   System: ASUS product: All Series                                                                                                                                 
           Mobo: ASUSTeK model: H97M-E v: Rev X.0x Bios: American Megatrends v: 2702 date: 03/28/2016                                                                       
CPU:       Quad core Intel Core i5-4590 (-MCP-) cache: 6144 KB                                                                                                              
           clock speeds: max: 3700 MHz 1: 3512 MHz 2: 3563 MHz 3: 3580 MHz 4: 3562 MHz                                                                                      
Graphics:  Card: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller                                                                                
           Display Server: OpenMandriva X.org 119.6 drivers: (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)                                                                                         
           Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz                                                                                                                                    
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Haswell Desktop GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 17.3.9                                                                                        
Audio:     Card-1 Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor HD Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel                                                                    
           Card-2 Intel 9 Series Family HD Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel                                                                                           
           Card-3 Logitech HD Pro Webcam C920 driver: USB Audio                                                                                                             
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.15.18-desktop-1omv                                                                                                
Network:   Card: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver: r8169                                                                            
           IF: enp3s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: 78:24:af:3c:ea:b3                                                                                        
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1500.3GB (9.4% used) ID-1: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD1002FAEX size: 1000.2GB                                                                         
           ID-2: /dev/sdb model: Crucial_CT500MX2 size: 500.1GB                                                                                                             
Partition: ID-1: / size: 20G used: 7.5G (41%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sdb5                                                                                                       
           ID-2: /home size: 9.8G used: 586M (7%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sdb6                                                                                                   
           ID-3: swap-1 size: 5.37GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sdb2                                                                                               
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 51.0C mobo: 27.8C
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 0
Info:      Processes: 193 Uptime: 52 min Memory: 1355.5/15917.2MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.2.27

I forgot to ask my questions.

1. Does anyone know of any changes in OM Lx 3 recently that would account for higher CPU temperature readings?

2. Are any other users regularly monitoring ‘sensors’ (also ‘hddtemp’) and if so has anyone else seen this temperature increase in Lx 3?

FWIW I don’t see elevated readings with ‘hddtemp’. Another point is that when I see higher CPU temps my computer fans get louder as they run faster. Also if it were something like bad sensors I would see the same readings in other Linux distros but I don’t see that, other Linux distros show consistently cooler readings.

Below is screenshot of what I was used to on OM Lx 3 and still see on openSUSE and Manjaro partitions.

I have tried with different 4.15.x kernel versions and that does not seem to be the issue unless issue predates kernel 4.15.x. I doubt this or I would have seen the problem sooner.

One obvious question would be if there are any runaway processes using a lot of CPU or 100% of a core or something like that. No these readings are observed with CPU usages in 1-5% range.

Edit: Also no excess memory usage or network or anything else I’ve thought to check so far.

I’m running at 32.2 c with a lot of graphics , that’s pretty normal …then again I’m in the basement where it’s cool .

1 Like

Thanks for the input @jimmyc. If you are using Lx 3 and fully (or close enough to it) updated and running at 32 C then my problem may partly be related to hardware like a Haswell processor (Intel i5 4590). But it can’t be totally hardware or my system would not run cooler in Manjaro or openSUSE partitions. Or so I’m thinking.

Here the range is beetween 32*C and 50°C with omvLX 3.0 fully updates and MATE desktop. I can see 60°C only with CPU at 100%

1 Like

I think this is a partly hardware issue related to Intel CPU’s and maybe only some Intel CPU’s. Like mine.

:persevere:

Bug report.

:see_no_evil::speak_no_evil::hear_no_evil:

1 Like

Progress on this. With the help of Gabriel Craciunescu on IRC (#openmandriva-cooker) we found that the way OM Lx 3 is configured cpupower was not working. To check your own:

# systemctl status cpupower

and if it isn’t running try:

# systemctl start cpupower

# systemctl status cpupower

so we (actually Gabriel) created 4 files that included some custom settings and also allow CPU power management to be controlled by cpupower and other stuff to be controlled by tuned.service. In the past in OM Lx 3 tuned.service controlled all of this. What we found is that with OM’s way if user runs:

# cpupower frequency-info

then the “current CPU frequency” would always be at or very near the max for the CPU. The custom settings allow for the “current CPU frequency” to be controlled by cpupower resulting in much, much lower “current CPU frequency” which translated to a cooler running CPU.

This corrected my elevated CPU temps at idle or with desktop just sitting around.
:monkey_face:

Postedit: Note: This issue has been with me for at least 6 weeks. I’m by no means and expert with Tuned but I did play (a lot) with Tuned settings and nothing in that regard ever had any affect on my CPU temps. It is not like I did not try anything else before coming to this conclusion for this issue.

1 Like

Thanks @jimmyc and @mandian for you input. Thanks Gabriel Craciunescu for getting me to this point with this issue. Now I can “hang out” in OpenMandriva Lx 3 again instead of my openSUSE or Manjaro partitions.
:monkey:

Here you may find some useful info about CPU frequency scaling also referred to Intel processors. I remember for some kind of processors the only usable choice was to use performances governator, but this highly depends on the specific processors are you using.

1 Like

From journalctl -xe

– L’unité (unit) cpupower.service a échoué, avec le résultat RESULT.
juin 11 20:35:04 localhost.localdomain tuned[7677]: Exception in thread Thread-1:
juin 11 20:35:04 localhost.localdomain tuned[7677]: Traceback (most recent call last):
juin 11 20:35:04 localhost.localdomain tuned[7677]: File “/usr/lib64/python3.4/threading.py”, line 911, in _bootstrap_inner
juin 11 20:35:04 localhost.localdomain tuned[7677]: self.run()
juin 11 20:35:04 localhost.localdomain tuned[7677]: File “/usr/lib64/python3.4/threading.py”, line 859, in run
juin 11 20:35:04 localhost.localdomain tuned[7677]: self._target(*self._args, **self._kwargs)
juin 11 20:35:04 localhost.localdomain tuned[7677]: File “/usr/lib/python3.4/site-packages/tuned/daemon/daemon.py”, line 175, in _thread_code
juin 11 20:35:04 localhost.localdomain tuned[7677]: if self._full_rollback_required():
juin 11 20:35:04 localhost.localdomain tuned[7677]: File “/usr/lib/python3.4/site-packages/tuned/daemon/daemon.py”, line 126, in _full_rollback_required
juin 11 20:35:04 localhost.localdomain tuned[7677]: return re.search(r"\b(shutdown|reboot|halt|poweroff).target.*start", out) is None
juin 11 20:35:04 localhost.localdomain tuned[7677]: File “/usr/lib64/python3.4/re.py”, line 170, in search
juin 11 20:35:04 localhost.localdomain tuned[7677]: return _compile(pattern, flags).search(string)
juin 11 20:35:04 localhost.localdomain tuned[7677]: TypeError: can’t use a string pattern on a bytes-like object
juin 11 20:35:04 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: Stopped Dynamic System Tuning Daemon.

I wonder if this isn’t related to the last cpupower update:

cpupower-4.16.13-1-omv2015.0.x86_64 Thu Jun 7 13:41:58 2018

1 Like

It seems like both cpupower and tuned may be broken or not quite configured correctly:

https://issues.openmandriva.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2350

https://issues.openmandriva.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2352

https://issues.openmandriva.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2354

1. Note that my reports are against tuned packages that are or were at the time I posted in Main-Testing repo.

2. Based on those packages tuned packages seems to not have all dependencies working.

3. Someone needs to check packages in Main-update repo for the same issues.

4. Someone probably needs to open a bug report against tuned itself. I should but I’m kind of “bugged out” at the moment.

That’s a good catch by the way @jclvanier!

OK, I’ve checked my own logs in freshly installed system with no testing packages (only packages from release and updates repos). System is fully updated. There have been no changes or customizations to system package. No changes to cpupower or tuned. And I have that exact output as well. It occurs as the system is shutting down so I don’t believe this indicates that tuned isn’t working. As far as I know tuned is working on my system.

Some of the relevant packages:

$ rpm -qa | grep tuned
tuned-2.9.0-2-omv2015.0.noarch

$ rpm -qa | grep kernel
kernel-firmware-extra-20180531-1-omv2015.0.noarch
kernel-firmware-20180531-1-omv2015.0.noarch
kernel-release-desktop-devel-4.16.13-1omv-1-1-omv2015.0.x86_64
kernel-release-headers-4.16.13-1-omv2015.0.x86_64
kernel-release-desktop-4.16.13-1omv-1-1-omv2015.0.x86_64
kernel-release-desktop-latest-4.16.13-1-omv2015.0.x86_64
kernel-release-desktop-devel-latest-4.16.13-1-omv2015.0.x86_64

$ rpm -qa | grep microcode                                                                                                                                
microcode-intel-20180425-1-omv2015.0.noarch

This show tuned working on the system mentioned in my last post:

$ systemctl status tuned
● tuned.service - Dynamic System Tuning Daemon                                                                                                                              
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/tuned.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)                                                                                      
   Active: active (running) since Wed 2018-06-13 11:07:10 CDT; 4h 52min ago                                                                                                 
     Docs: man:tuned(8)                                                                                                                                                     
           man:tuned.conf(5)                                                                                                                                                
           man:tuned-adm(8)                                                                                                                                                 
 Main PID: 3623 (tuned)                                                                                                                                                     
    Tasks: 5 (limit: 4915)                                                                                                                                                  
   Memory: 19.0M                                                                                                                                                            
   CGroup: /system.slice/tuned.service                                                                                                                                      
           └─3623 /usr/bin/python -Es /usr/sbin/tuned -l -P                                                                                                                 

Jun 13 11:07:07 ben79-pc systemd[1]: Starting Dynamic System Tuning Daemon...                                                                                               
Jun 13 11:07:10 ben79-pc systemd[1]: Started Dynamic System Tuning Daemon.

Post edit: And:

# tuned-adm verify
Verfication succeeded, current system settings match the preset profile.
See tuned log file ('/var/log/tuned/tuned.log') for details.

# tuned-adm active
Current active profile: balanced

Also tuned has it’s own logs in ‘/var/log/tuned/tuned.log’.

The only thing I see amiss with the package in updates repo is the command:

# tuned-adm recommend
DBus call to Tuned daemon failed
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/sbin/tuned-adm", line 94, in <module>
    result = admin.action(action_name, **options)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.4/site-packages/tuned/admin/admin.py", line 81, in action
    res = action(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.4/site-packages/tuned/admin/admin.py", line 285, in _action_recommend_profile
    print(self._cmd.recommend_profile())
  File "/usr/lib/python3.4/site-packages/tuned/utils/commands.py", line 435, in recommend_profile
    matching = self.process_recommend_file(path)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.4/site-packages/tuned/utils/commands.py", line 391, in process_recommend_file
    if not re.match(value, self.execute("virt-what")[1], re.S):
  File "/usr/lib64/python3.4/re.py", line 160, in match
    return _compile(pattern, flags).match(string)
TypeError: can't use a string pattern on a bytes-like object

does not work. It is supposed to work, I think it is anyway. I wish it did.

:monkey:

Maybe this from ‘/var/log/tuned/tuned.log’ has something to do with my elevated CPU temps with desktop at rest:

2018-06-12 20:28:31,755 WARNING  tuned.plugins.plugin_cpu: unable to run x86_energy_perf_policy tool, ignoring CPU energy performance bias, is the tool installed?
2018-06-12 20:28:31,755 INFO     tuned.plugins.plugin_cpu: intel_pstate detected
2018-06-12 20:28:31,762 INFO     tuned.plugins.plugin_cpu: ignoring governor 'conservative' on cpu 'cpu0', it is not supported
2018-06-12 20:28:31,763 INFO     tuned.plugins.plugin_cpu: ignoring governor 'conservative' on cpu 'cpu1', it is not supported
2018-06-12 20:28:31,763 INFO     tuned.plugins.plugin_cpu: ignoring governor 'conservative' on cpu 'cpu3', it is not supported
2018-06-12 20:28:31,763 INFO     tuned.plugins.plugin_cpu: ignoring governor 'conservative' on cpu 'cpu2', it is not supported
2018-06-12 20:28:31,763 INFO     tuned.plugins.plugin_cpu: setting new cpu latency 100
2018-06-12 20:28:31,764 ERROR    tuned.utils.commands: Error when reading file '/sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_method': '[Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_method''
2018-06-12 20:39:41,842 INFO     tuned.plugins.plugin_cpu: setting new cpu latency 1000
2018-06-12 20:40:01,844 INFO     tuned.plugins.plugin_cpu: setting new cpu latency 100
2018-06-12 20:41:11,850 INFO     tuned.plugins.plugin_cpu: setting new cpu latency 1000
2018-06-12 20:41:21,852 INFO     tuned.plugins.plugin_cpu: setting new cpu latency 100

I don’t know myself. Here’s the entire log:

tuned.log.txt (30.9 KB)

Post edit: And remember that my initial problem is CPU temps but it has been demonstrated that the likely cause is that the CPU frequency stays at or near max all the time. As shown by ‘cpupower frequency-info’ in this line:

hardware limits: 800 MHz - 3.30 GHz
current CPU frequency: 3.25 GHz (asserted by call to kernel)