New version of xscreensaver for Lx 4.1

Hello,

OpenMandriva does not recommend using Xscreensaver due to security concerns. We do make this available and users may use but any security problems are the users responsibility.

• OpenMandriva Lx version:

OM Lx 4.1

• Desktop environment (KDE, LXQT…):

All

• Description of the issue (screenshots if relevant):

Few people complaing about this:

Screenshot_20210111_153607

• Relevant informations (hardware involved, software version, logs or output…):

That error message does not come from OpenMandriva. It is placed in that software by the xscreensaver developer. He even puts the URL in the error message so any complaints about this go there not to OpenMandriva.

I tested the xscreensaver package in Rolling and it seems as if this error message has been removed. Also the version in Rolling is newer 5.44 vs. 5.42 in Lx 4.1 so I built the package for Lx 4.1. As always with new packages it goes to testing repo first and then after testing will to to main/release repository.

Very Important Note: xscreensaver is no longer a part of OM Lx default installations as it is considered to much of a security risk. We do continue to make this available for users. Users with old CRT’s may actually need this to avoid “burn in” on their monitor. Anyone still using a CRT that does not have any burn in, congratulations, that is some sort of achievement. Users use this software at your own risk. *

To install the new xscreensaver package:

OM Lx 4.1 x86_64 system:

$ sudo dnf install xscreensaver xscreensaver-base --enablerepo rock-testing-x86_64

OM Lx 4.1 znver1 system:

$ sudo dnf install xscreensaver xscreensaver-base --enablerepo rock-testing-znver1

If you already have xscreensaver installed:

OM Lx 4.1 x86_64 system:

$ sudo dnf upgrade --enablerepo rock-testing-x86_64

OM Lx 4.1 znver1 system:

$ sudo dnf upgrade --enablerepo rock-testing-znver1

We can update xscreensaver to 5.45 and this warning should gone.

1 Like

If we can update it that would be great. I thought the warning was gone with v. 5.44, but I could be wrong.

Done for cooker.

1 Like

Thanks @AngryPenguin.

xscreensaver 5.45 built for Rolling/Lx 4.2 and Lx 4.1 and published to respective testing repos. To install for:

OM Lx 4.1 x86_64:

$ sudo dnf install xscreensaver --enablerepo rock-testing-x86_64

OM Lx 4.1 znver1:

$ sudo dnf install xscreensaver --enablerepo rock-testing-znver1

If you already have xscreensaver installed you will need to replace the install with upgrade in the command string.