Lx 3.03 Release Imminent - User Testing Needed

Here is a workaround:

1. minimize calamares window
  2. open a terminal (right click on the desktop to show the menu)
  3. xrandr -s 1024x768

If this solves the culprit is openbox.

2 Likes

Point 3 is:
xrandr -s 1024x768

fixed typo,
thanks @ben79

1 Like

After you minimize calamares window how can you get it back, I don’t see it and it isn’t in openbox menu?

There is not a menu openbox is just a window manager) You may use alt+TAB to scroll all opened windows.

2 Likes

Well I’ll be dadgummed. How about adding:

xrandr=1024x768

To boot paramaters on Linux line at end of line? Try that folks.

This works on ‘Live’ and ‘Install’.

2 Likes

Here’s something interesting and may indicate we still have a problem somewhere. If I set:

xrandr=800x600

I actually get a 1024x768 window in ‘Install’. Any of you who may have tried this by now may see that if you set:

xrandr=1024x768

You may actually see a window closer to 1280x1024. At least that is how it is working here.

Interesting. Wish I were smart enough to know what it means…

Postedit: Anyway IMO this qualifies as a “Workaround” for the issue.

2nd Postedit: Thanks to @mandian for discovering this workaround.

3 Likes

Or to start Calamares window maximized by default.

1 Like

Maybe virtualbox 5.2.0 could be used now.

+1

The following is opinion and not the official position of OpenMandriva Association or any associated or subsidiary organizations or any one speaking in an official capacity for OpenMandriva Association or any associated or subsidiary organizations:

The reason for not having VBox-5.2.0 is because it is borked. Not because of anyof OM’s ISO in VBox issues. We probably won’t update VBox till 5.2.2 or 5.2.4. (I’m trying not to say because upstream suggested to wait).

1 Like

Ben your discovery is interesting; the reason this happens is that the default resolution of the vboxvideo module is set to 1024 x 768 the module cannot satisfy your request for 800 x 600 so it sets it’s default. It seems that sending a resolution with xrandr kicks off the vboxvideo module.
We could do away with the window manager completely everything works without it. This would mean that we need not provide the modules in the kernel. This would make swapping between vbox versions quite a bit easier.

1 Like

Awesome catch. Thanks guys for finding a solution for this issue.

Anyways i think we can not use it by default. Users who will boot iso on real hardware will complain about low/bad screen resolution on theirs monitors.
These days common resolution is 1920x1080 and then when installer runs we changes resolution to 1024x786. Sounds preety unacceptable.

1 Like

@TPG, @Colin I just found a glitch with the xrandr=1024x768 workaround.
In a brand nes never booter VM it will not work until I boot into either ‘Live’ or ‘Install’ and open a terminal as root and do:

# xrandr -s 1024x768

then on subsequent boot will xrandr=1024x768 will work. This to weird for me to grasp.

Y’all will probably have to test this for yourselves. You have to start with a new, never booted, VM. Which is unfortunately where reviewers and new users will be starting from.

1 Like

Very good point. Some of us may have gotten tunnel vision regarding this issue. I guess someone should test this on hardware.

But this probably should be a manual, user applied workaround. Which was more what my intention was when I first found this. (@mandian is who first found this actually).

1 Like

Because vbox virtual machines “remember” virtual screen size (for that particular virtual machine).
Indeed if you run live mode for first, adjust virtual screen size at your preference, then reboot no matter if Live mode again or Install mode, it will keep the size you set before.

In a new never used virtual machine the screens sequence is the following:

ISO menu starts at 1024x768 (maybe because its size is fixed someway somewhere), then plymouth decrease at 800x600 and so the subsequent screens do.

3 Likes

Install mode screen is set to 1024x768 in Vbox.

@Colin I’ll revert your omv-build-iso commit with xrandr as it gives bad user experience, described by rugyada.

1 Like

Thanks for this rugyada. It explains a lot. I always start my testing with the live image when I set up a new machine so I suppose this is why the install option has always worked for me because long ago the resolution was set for this VM the first time I ran the live image…
It looks like we need to force a minimum resolution when in Virtualbox.

2 Likes

@TPG
I already did it having looked at the thread. Will you fix in Calamares startup files?

2 Likes

Maybe forcing the plymouth screen display bigger than current 800x600 could be an attempt.
Is there any way to do it ?

2 Likes

nope, because we use modesetting

3 Likes