Lx 3.03 Release Imminent - User Testing Needed

I haven’t found a smart way to achieve this goal, however

First boot the ISO, chose install mode and wait until the Calamares window is displayed. Then you may follow the following steps:

1. minimize Calamares window

2. open a terminal (right click on the desktop to show the menu)

3. copy system openbox configuration file inside the user (which in this case is root) home:

mkdir -p /root/.config/openbox
     cp /etc/xdg/openbox/rc.xml /root/.config/openbox/

4. if you aren’t a vi expert and you have a connection you may install some other (simple) editor, for instance nano, as usual:

urpmi nano

5. add the following lines (the explanation of which is contained inside the file itself) into .config/openbox/rc.xml, at the end of applications section, (i.e. just before lines containing < /applications>):

<application name="calamares"
                 class="Calamares"
                 title="OpenMandriva Lx Installer"
                 type="normal">
      <decor>no</decor>
      <focus>yes</focus>
      <fullscreen>yes</fullscreen>
      <!--maximized>true</maximized-->
    </application>

6. reboot openbox

openbox --replace &

Well, here is the result:

The main Calamares window is maximized and undecorated but all other windows and child windows still have a normal aspect. And does not matter what resolution is in use (the screenshot was taken with 800x600)!

4 Likes

Can you add this config to openbox package?

1 Like

Putting this config into openbox packages will affect all Desktop Environment will use openbox as window manager, for instance LXQt, so I try to put this configuration directly into calamares-install-setup

I made a pull request here:

If you like this alternative solution I will merge into the repo.

4 Likes

Thanks. I’ve merged your pull request. New calamares is building now.

3 Likes

:thumbsup:

Notes:
Calamares properly displayed and all screens are usable.
Also, once entered the system, because of previous display size (install procedure), the screen is at more convenient 1024x768 resolution. At this time users just need to set the vbox virtual screen size at their preference.

Well done @mandian & @TPG and everyone.

4 Likes

+1

2 Likes

Are we ready to give it a GO?

1 Like

I discover this just now. Open Firefox and write a valid url at address bar, then hit Enter and nothing happens. Clicking on the arrow Firefox starts to upload the page. Tested with ISO #1588 in live mode.

Yes, GO vote happened late Sunday afternoon. Colin is getting things moving.

Congratulations @TPG and everyone involved for making this an excellent release. And thanks for you patience while we had all those things to fix in the last few weeks. (I know I lost my patience a few times.)

3 Likes

I checked this with ISO 1588 on hardware and in VBox and it works OK for me.

On the i586 ISO 1587 both on hardware and in VBox Firefox doesn’t work well at all ( :poop: )but otherwise ISO worked OK as far as I tested it which was a “just barely” test. :dizzy_face:

I would close this thread if the release was actually released. Wonder what happened?

Yes, I’m being impatient. :smiling_imp:

2 Likes

Same here. I thought we have it a GO? No blog post, no update on our site, no updates in social media channels.

2 Likes

As for blog post and related media dissemination all is ready to go.
But there are other tasks needing to be attended such as upload ISOs at SF and create torrents.

Unless we want to give direct links to abf downloads.
In this case I just have to add links and push “Publish” button, even right now.

2 Likes

No, this us bad idea. We must use sf.net.
Well there are couple of people who can upload it, right?

2 Likes

As far as I know Colin contacted all the people needed to do the actual release Sunday evening. I don’t know for sure who those people are except for @rugyada who does have announcement/blog post ready. As I remember it is maybe @jclvanier or @raphael that upload the ISO’s and checksums to SF and @john that produces the torrents.

Are there any other tasks needing doing?

2 Likes

Done.

Postedit:
Torrents and mirror links coming soon.

Postedit2:
Torrents and mirror links added.

5 Likes

Awesome, thanks @rugyada and everyone.

3 Likes

I’m thinking we can close this now. Thanks again everyone. :grinning:

Special thanks is due also to @ben79 for his commitment on bugs to be brought to devs’ attention and get solved.

3 Likes