Elisa crash on Rock

Hello,

I am a new OpenMandriva user, I am having a problem with Elisa
The program crashes at launch

I am on OMLx4.1 on the Rock channel
The only package available seems to be 1:19.12.1-1 so I can not test on previous or updated versions without leaving the channel
The issue happens on a clean install of OM and I have re-installed OM twice trying to find a solution to this problem.
I would like to provide more information so that this issue can be fixed, so please instruct me on what to do to help.

$ elisa
QCommandLineParser: already having an option named "h"
QCommandLineParser: already having an option named "help-all"
QCommandLineParser: already having an option named "v"
qrc:/qml/NavigationActionBar.qml:248:32: Invalid property assignment: string expected - Assigning null to incompatible properties in QML is deprecated. This will become a compile error in future versions of Qt.
<Unknown File>: QML QQuickLayoutAttached: Binding loop detected for property "preferredHeight"
org.kde.elisa.indexers.manager: Local file system indexer is inactive
org.kde.elisa.indexers.manager: Baloo indexer is unavailable
org.kde.elisa.indexers.manager: Baloo indexer is inactive
KCrash: crashing... crashRecursionCounter = 2
KCrash: Application Name = elisa path = /usr/bin pid = 13348
KCrash: Arguments: /usr/bin/elisa 
KCrash: Attempting to start /usr/lib64/libexec/drkonqi from kdeinit
sock_file=/run/user/1001/kdeinit5__0

[1]+  Stopped                 elisa
Unable to start Dr. Konqi
[1]+  Segmentation fault      (core dumped) elisa

Interestingly Dr. Konqi also fails to start

I am running everything on a Fujitsu A555 laptop, Intel i3 5005u, 8GB RAM and a 250GB SATA SSD.

1 Like

Welcome @CasualRascal

I just checked in a Rock hardware system and Elisa opens and plays music here. So I was unable to reproduce the issue here.

If you could post the file created by this command:

$ journalctl -b > journal.txt

That will create a file journal.txt which you can post here with the help of the Up arrow (for upload).

If you are curious at looking at this yourself just run:

$ journalctl -b

and look for entries that say elisa like this:

Jul 23 14:38:46 ben-Lx41-64 elisa[2601]: QCommandLineParser: already having an option named "h"
Jul 23 14:38:46 ben-Lx41-64 elisa[2601]: QCommandLineParser: already having an option named "help-all"
Jul 23 14:38:46 ben-Lx41-64 elisa[2601]: QCommandLineParser: already having an option named "v"
Jul 23 14:38:46 ben-Lx41-64 elisa[2601]: qrc:/qml/NavigationActionBar.qml:248:32: Invalid property assignment: string expected - Assigning null to incompatible properties in QML is depreca>
Jul 23 14:38:46 ben-Lx41-64 elisa[2601]: <Unknown File>: QML QQuickLayoutAttached: Binding loop detected for property "preferredHeight"
Jul 23 14:38:46 ben-Lx41-64 elisa[2601]: org.kde.elisa.indexers.manager: Local file system indexer is inactive
Jul 23 14:38:46 ben-Lx41-64 elisa[2601]: org.kde.elisa.indexers.manager: Baloo indexer is unavailable
Jul 23 14:38:46 ben-Lx41-64 elisa[2601]: org.kde.elisa.indexers.manager: Baloo indexer is inactive
Jul 23 14:38:46 ben-Lx41-64 elisa[2601]: org.kde.elisa.baloo: Baloo indexer has been configured to be deactivated. Disabling Elisa support for using Baloo indexer.
Jul 23 14:38:46 ben-Lx41-64 elisa[2601]: org.kde.elisa.indexers.manager: Local file system indexer is active
Jul 23 14:38:46 ben-Lx41-64 elisa[2601]: org.kde.elisa.indexers.manager: trigger init of local file indexer
Jul 23 14:38:57 ben-Lx41-64 elisa[2601]: "Could not convert argument 0 at"
Jul 23 14:38:57 ben-Lx41-64 elisa[2601]:          "onFilesToEnqueue@qrc:/qml/FileBrowserView.qml:51"
Jul 23 14:38:57 ben-Lx41-64 elisa[2601]: "Passing incompatible arguments to C++ functions from JavaScript is dangerous and deprecated."
Jul 23 14:38:57 ben-Lx41-64 elisa[2601]: "This will throw a JavaScript TypeError in future releases of Qt!"
Jul 23 14:39:15 ben-Lx41-64 kdeinit5[2643]: Qt: Session management error: networkIdsList argument is NULL
Jul 23 14:39:16 ben-Lx41-64 dolphin[1717]: Cannot initialize model with data QJsonObject() . missing: QJsonValue(string, "urls")
Jul 23 14:39:16 ben-Lx41-64 kdeinit5[2687]: kf5.kio.kio_tags: tag fetch failed: "Failed to open the database"
Jul 23 14:39:16 ben-Lx41-64 kdeinit5[2687]: kf5.kio.kio_tags: "tags:/" list() invalid url
Jul 23 14:39:23 ben-Lx41-64 elisa[2601]: org.kde.elisa.database: artistsAdded 1
Jul 23 14:39:23 ben-Lx41-64 elisa[2601]: org.kde.elisa.database: albumsAdded 1
Jul 23 14:39:23 ben-Lx41-64 elisa[2601]: org.kde.elisa.database: tracksAdded 1
Jul 23 14:39:33 ben-Lx41-64 elisa[2601]: qrc:/qml/HeaderBar.qml:94:9: QML Image: Failed to get image from provider: image://icon/error
Jul 23 14:39:33 ben-Lx41-64 elisa[2601]: qrc:/qml/HeaderBar.qml:60:9: QML Image: Failed to get image from provider: image://icon/error
Jul 23 14:39:46 ben-Lx41-64 kdeinit5[2718]: kf5.kio.kio_tags: tag fetch failed: "Failed to open the database"
Jul 23 14:39:46 ben-Lx41-64 kdeinit5[2718]: kf5.kio.kio_tags: "tags:/" list() invalid url
Jul 23 14:39:46 ben-Lx41-64 elisa[2601]: kf5.kio.kdirmodel: No node found for item that was just removed: QUrl("file:///home/ben79/Music/Celestial Aeon Project - Angel's Redemption.mp3")
Jul 23 14:39:46 ben-Lx41-64 elisa[2601]: kf5.kio.core: "Could not enter folder tags:/."

Your entries will be different from mine since one of us has a working Elisa and one of us does not. The command journalctl is the system log for your OM system.

Explanation of the commands: The option -b simply limits what it posts in terminal to most recent boot. Depending on how long you have been logged in to OM Lx 4.1 and how active there could be thousands of lines. So a way to make this a bit easier is to add the -e option which will automatically go to the end of the log:

$ journalctl -b -e

Then use the up arrow key on kbd to find you elisa entries.

1 Like

I have a new install of OM Lx 4.1 KDE Zen Rock, and I hadnā€™t attempted to start Elisa before I read this thread. It started up and found my music with no issues. Wish I could be of more help than that, but figured I would confirm that it isnā€™t an issue on my hardware.

Ryzen 3 1300x, 16 GB DDR4 3200 RAM (A-XMP), MSI B450 motherboard, Sapphire Nitro+ SE RX 580 8 GB

2 Likes

Thanks it does help to know if other users do/do not have the issue someone reports. So in this case it is starting to look like a problem specific to @CasualRascalā€™s hardware or some other problem on that computer.

I have asked for help from developers on IRC. If you want to contact them directly they are at #openmandriva-cooker on Freenode IRC. There is also a user channel on IRC #openmandriva.

1 Like

@CasualRascal, just to be sure, after you did the fresh installation, did you do a ā€˜sudo dnf updateā€™?

1 Like

can you activate baloo indexer ?

balooctl enable
1 Like

@dave_leitz Yes, currently I am up to date but still experiencing the issue. Thank you for sharing your hardware setup.
@stephane Yes I can enable the indexer with that command, although I am not sure what baloo does

1 Like

@ben79 I would like to speak to them yes, I hope I can help so other people will not come across the same problem. I really enjoy OpenMandriva so far and I hope I can help improve the project. I did not know of that command, thank you for the explanation, I truly appreciate it.

I am attaching the file, the output is huge.
I have not edited it, you can see the entire output, but I looked through it and it seems there is only a systemd-coredump with the entry Elisa
journal.txt (296.4 KB)

P.S. I would have replied to you in my previous post but there is a 2-mention limitation for new users

1 Like

In your journal log just after this line (line # 2165):

j`ul 24 21:06:40 lifebooka555 systemd-coredump[3416]: Process 3378 (elisa) of user 1001 dumped core.

Stack trace of thread 3378:`

is a stack trace. That is exactly the kind of information a developer would need to figure out why Elisa is crashing.

I canā€™t get a hold of the developers on the irc channel, I have logged on a few times to try to speak to them but I was unlucky I guess.

Somebody did suggest me to install a different build of Elisa but that didnā€™t solve the issue.
I would like to get this problem solved.

We are very sorry you have encountered this issue. This forum is mostly, mainly, primarily, users helping other users with problems. Developers donā€™t tend to hang out on this forum.

Developers are on IRC but they are not sitting there waiting for people to talk to. Most devs are very, very, busy people involved in multiple projects so you have to go on IRC and be patient and work with some one until you get to a solution. Keep mind also that OpenMandriva is a small, all volunteer, all unpaid, group.

Your issue is likely to be difficult since most users are reporting that Elisa does work so this seems something specific to your computer. Unknown whether that is something to do with the hardware or if something has corrupted your system or desktop software.

My suggestion is to log in on IRC (#openmandriva-cooker) and post your question and stay logged in until someone responds. When they respond if you are available then you can work together towards a solution. As one might imagine it can take some time before there is a developer available with time for your issue at the same time you are available. Again that word patience. In this instance it is really true ā€œPatience is a virtueā€.

Iā€™ve gotten used to this process and I tend to forget that it can be very frustrating to someone not used to how long this sometimes takes. That is unfortunately an aspect of an all volunteer, unpaid, group of developers/contributors.

IIRC Elisa was known in the past to have some issues on start while indexing music files at first launch.
After, the problem seemed as fixed (upstream).
These are the reason why Elisa was first removed from ISO packages list and afterward added again, respectively.

Testing Elisa in virtualbox I never hit any issue to be honest.
OTOH my Music folder was not full of filesā€¦

I think you could start OMLx in live mode, add a few songs, and see if it works properly in such a case.

Aside, from a quick search looking at KDE Bugtracking System one can assume itā€™s not like Elisa is really bug-free app :slight_smile:

Postedit

I think Iā€™ve got a lead on whatā€™s wrong:

Elisaā€™s dependencies are missing.
Installed VLC and magically Elisa works properly*.

I do not want VLC installed though. How do you figure out which dependency is missing in such cases? I am trying to learn

I would sit and wait in the channel but I donā€™t have the time to do so. I thought that forums exist to solve this issue, I donā€™t think itā€™s realistic to expect people to be online at the right place and the right time to report a bug.

I want to help and I am going out of my way to get in contact with the community already, going even further out of my way to get a message to the developers is very demanding, and in my case almost impossible (if whenever I go there I canā€™t find anyone).

* the volume control in Elisa is also busted: it seems to set global volume when fiddled with and does not operate independently, it is a very weird behavior.
Iā€™ll stick with mpv but if Elisaā€™s dependencies are fixed then other users will not run into this problem in the future.

1 Like

Hi, if I remember correctly, you wrote on freenode#openmandriva-cooker that you donā€™t have VLC installed. Can you tell me, did you manually remove VLC or it was not automatically installed?
As far as I know, VLC should be installed automatically.

Anyway, Elisa to play audio require library ā€œlibvlc5ā€ - so VLC is needed (well, part of it). So thats why music not working for you and when you installed vlc then music start working again.
Look at dependency list (from upstream), line 41:

I tried to fix this for you by forcing library (only library, not full VLC) as dependency for Elisa.

Fixed Elisa is available in Cooker and in stable Rock 4.1 in Testing repo. So enable testing repo and install/update elisa. Or download rpm manually from here: https://abf.openmandriva.org/build_lists/811050

and please back with feedback

2 Likes

Thankfully it seems @AngryPenguin has found the cause and the solution to your issue.

Yes I can see your point. Sorry you were disappointed. The answer to this is for more people to become OM developers but unless and until they do we can only do what a half dozen part time devs can do. I was attempting to explain how to make our IRC work for you and other users as our IRC actually functions at this time. A better response on my part would have been to suggest:

Users can file bug reports. You can file a bug report here. Keep this in mind for future use.

For any users needing command to install the latest build of Elisa:

x86_64:

$ sudo dnf upgrade --enablerepo rock-testing-x86_64 elisa

zenver1:

$ sudo dnf upgrade --enablerepo rock-testing-znver1 elisa

I did a quick test in VirtualBox VM and it seems working OK.

Yes, you remember correctly, VLC was not automatically installed when I installed omlx4.1 on my system, however it was installed when I tested it in a virtual machine, thatā€™s how I guessed what the problem was.

Yes I believe adding the needed library to the dependencies would prevent headaches like this. Thank you for your work