DigiKam does not allow to create new albums

• OpenMandriva Lx version: is 4.1
    Desktop environment (KDE, LXQT…): is Kde
    Motherboard is MSI Intell and it has 4 Gb memory.
  • Description of the issue (screenshots if relevant):

I used dnfdragora and intalled DigiKam and started to download pictures from my digikam. I have not used that program before. As much as I understand one shall first create an album. But the program does not allow me to do that. For ex, Album > New the “New” is grey and neither does Ctrl+N help me :frowning:

But now, while writing this sad story to you I started DigiKam again. And NOW IT WORKS. eVERYTHING SEEMS TO BE o.k. :slight_smile:

Living with EDP is ineteresting. Thank’s for reading this!

Welcome @fossiili

Huh? digiKam is installed by default in OM Lx 4.1 no need for user to install it manually.

Me too. I had to install it manually by dnfdragora. I installed OM LX 4.1 by USB device installed .iso.

Can you please tell which ISO have you installed? (link)
DigiKam is in ISO packages list, and should be installed in default installation. It is for sure available (and working afaik) in live mode.

1 Like

Live mode:

Installed system:

1 Like

OM Lx 4.1 Zen Rock KDE install here. I hadn’t used digiKam (or even thought about it) before now, but out of curiosity I looked for it in the menu. I launched it and did the setup. All seems to be working.

2 Likes

@dave_leitz Thanks for confirming.
It’s odd 2 users reporting the same issue which does not make any sense (the issue, I mean). I’d like to know what happened and why.

1 Like

BTW, Welcome @fossiili ! I’m new here too and it is a good place to be!

@rugyada both users with issues reported installing via dnfdragora. I have only used that program to search for available and installed programs and dependencies. I only use 'sudo dnf install ’ to actually install anything on my system. I also haven’t used any ‘autoremove’ command in the way I used to do so (sudo apt autoremove) on Debian/Ubuntu systems. IIRC, ‘autoremove’ could cause dependency issues in OM, or am I wrong about that?

Then again, could there be a difference between the Zen and other ISOs? They did not specify using the Zen ISO…

2 Likes

:+1:
:boom: :champagne: :tada:

No. Better safe than sorry. imho.

But the main question is: why? Why digiKam program should not get installed?

PS>
The ISO packages list is the same for x86_64 iso and znver1 iso

2 Likes

Welcome to everybody.My DigiKam was installed straight out of the bat from latest DVD iso…still getting my head around dnfdragora, as was so used to urpmi in LX3…sigh! Could the problem be that DigiKam 7.0.0 is a beta1 as came with the install iso rugyada?

@toerag Welcome.

99.99999999% no, as long as it installs and works for everyone else.
The users report digiKam not present in installed system, while there isn’t any reason why it should have happened.

Until and unless they explain step by step how they came to this situation I tend to consider this as invalid report.

Forget dnfdragora and Discover, use it just to search for available and installed programs and dependencies [cit :stuck_out_tongue: ].
Use dnf in CLI instead, that should not be hard to learn as you already are familiar with urpmi
DNF commands references

2 Likes

I just tested the latest version of this package in testing repos and it works for me. Tested in znver1 VM and x86_64 hardware systems. All packages install. Was able in both to add a “New Album” to Albums>Pictures. I think that was the original issue here.

I pushed these digikam packages to main/updates repository for all users.
The fixed digikam packages are:

lib64digikamdatabase7.0.0-7.0.0-2
lib64digikamcore7.0.0-7.0.0-2
digikam-7.0.0-2
lib64digikamgui7.0.0-7.0.0-2
showfoto-7.0.0-2

I suspect these are more likely people that removed digikam and forgot about it. Anyone that has what they think is OM Lx 4.1 installed and it did not have digikam installed by default could have a corrupted install or corrupted download, or worse. They should re-download, check checksums, and re-install after verifying the checksums are correct. (If it is my computer I darn sure am doing this a system missing a default package could have other, bigger problems.)

As a tester I do lots (like 100’s) of installs from OM ISO’s and I have never seen a system installed that was missing a package in the package list for that ISO. I strongly suspect that the Calamares installer would instead issue an error message if this happened. Perhaps @abucodonosor could enlighten us on this. I’ll ask on IRC.

Welcome @fossiili

Same suspect here…
For this reason:

Only IF and WHEN the users reporting the ‘’‘’‘issue’‘’’ will reply and answer I’d consider invalid report.

BTW Calamares prints a log while installing. If any package gets removed you will find relevant bits in cala log. But except usual (decided) packages I’ve never seen whatever unexpected got removed by calamares…

1 Like

I did confirm this with @abucodonosor on IRC and yes there would be an error and you would not be able to finish the installation. The Calamares installer installs OM Lx by unpacking squashfs files. If one squashfs file did not unpack there would be an error. That is how it works folks.