Did I Roll too far?

Hello,

I am working on my Z800 Workstation. I have a full installation of Lx 4.2 Rock. I attempted to convert to Rolling. The only instructions I could find were for converting from 4.1 Rock to 4.2 Rolling, rather than from 4.2 Rock to 4.2 Rolling. I followed the directions there.

Everything was fine until I was done getting everything installed, upgraded, reloaded, etc., and ran the terminal commands listed to be done after converting but before rebooting.

( $ sudo rpm --rebuilddb -vvv; $ sudo dnf autoremove; $ sudo dnf install plasma-workspace-x11; $ sudo dnf reinstall distro-release-theme)

It didn’t look right and gave a few error messages. So I said, oh well, and rebooted. I opened Terminal and ran sudo dnf upgrade. I got this:

[zaivala@zaivala-FuzZ400 ~]$ sudo dnf upgrade [sudo] password for zaivala:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/bin/dnf”, line 57, in
from dnf.cli import main
File “/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/dnf/init.py”, line 30, in
import dnf.base
File “/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/dnf/base.py”, line 29, in
import libdnf.transaction
File “/usr/lib64/python3.9/site-packages/libdnf/init.py”, line 12, in
from . import conf
File “/usr/lib64/python3.9/site-packages/libdnf/conf.py”, line 13, in
from . import _conf
ImportError: libicuuc.so.68: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[zaivala@zaivala-FuzZ400 ~]$

So now what do I do?

I guess nothing is idiot-proof, and I’m just the idiot to prove it.

I clicked on the menu button to reboot to something else, and got an error. It says it copied the error message to my clipboard. Here goes:

file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.kicker/contents/ui/main.qml:27:1: plugin cannot be loaded for module “org.kde.plasma.private.kicker”: Cannot load library /usr/lib64/qt5/qml/org/kde/plasma/private/kicker/libkickerplugin.so: (libicuuc.so.68: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)

Try this:

# ln -s /usr/lib64/libicudata.so.69.1 /usr/lib64/libicudata.so.68.2
# ln -s /usr/lib64/libicui18n.so.69.1 /usr/lib64/libicui18n.so.68.2
# ln -s /usr/lib64/libicuuc.so.69.1 /usr/lib64/libicuuc.so.68.2
$ rpm -qa|grep ufw
$ rpm -qa|grep firewall

remove ufw if found present.

Open your mind and look also in other languages forum, it may help sometimes

Another maybe interesting reading

1 Like

[zaivala@zaivala-FuzZ400 ~]$ ln -s /usr/lib64/libicudata.so.69.1 /usr/lib64/libicudata.so.68.2
ln: failed to create symbolic link ‘/usr/lib64/libicudata.so.68.2’: Permission denied
[zaivala@zaivala-FuzZ400 ~]$ su
Password:
[root@zaivala-FuzZ400 zaivala]# ln -s /usr/lib64/libicudata.so.69.1 /usr/lib64/libicudata.so.68.2
[root@zaivala-FuzZ400 zaivala]# ln -s /usr/lib64/libicui18n.so.69.1 /usr/lib64/libicui18n.so.68.2
[root@zaivala-FuzZ400 zaivala]# ln -s /usr/lib64/libicuuc.so.69.1 /usr/lib64/libicuuc.so.68.2
[root@zaivala-FuzZ400 zaivala]# exit
exit
[zaivala@zaivala-FuzZ400 ~]$ rpm -qa|grep ufw
ufw-0.36.20200125-4.noarch
[zaivala@zaivala-FuzZ400 ~]$ rm ufw-0.36.20200124-4.noarch
rm: cannot remove ‘ufw-0.36.20200124-4.noarch’: No such file or directory
[zaivala@zaivala-FuzZ400 ~]$ rpm -qa|grep firewall
firewalld-0.9.3-3.noarch
plasma-firewall-5.21.5-1.x86_64

I would love to read other languages. I cannot.

I found ufw, could not remove it. grep told me it was there, but did not tell me where it was.

Attempting to prove I’m not a complete idiot, I just ran sudo dnf remove ufw. That apparently worked. Am I supposed to remove firewall? You didn’t say.

[zaivala@zaivala-FuzZ400 ~]$ sudo dnf upgrade
Last metadata expiration check: 8:57:13 ago on Mon 31 May 2021 12:45:41 AM EDT.
Dependencies resolved.
Nothing to do.
Complete!

file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.kicker/contents/ui/main.qml:27:1: plugin cannot be loaded for module “org.kde.plasma.private.kicker”: Cannot load library /usr/lib64/qt5/qml/org/kde/plasma/private/kicker/libkickerplugin.so: (libicuuc.so.68: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)

I still get this when I click on the Application Menu… and the only way to leave the system using GUI is hold the power button down… have not tried Terminal…

1 Like

There are plenty of useful tools on the web. Search online translators.
It’s what non native English speakers do every day.

Here it is clearly stated:

1 Like

OK, but… I did not upgrade from 4.1 Rock to 4.2 Roll. I upgraded from 4.2 Rock. At any rate, something is going on in Terminal and I’ll let you know if it’s working when I’m done.

1 Like

And it does work now. Thank you.

2 Likes

Glad that you sorted @zaivala

The command to upgrade Rolling system is:
$ sudo dnf clean all ; sudo dnf --allowerasing distro-sync

It is the only one command that rolling users must run in console to get their system update.
FYI: Do not use discover, do not use dragora, never. Or they will get into troubles for sure.

1 Like

I just posted this Upgrade OM Lx 4.2 to Rolling. Hope it helps some users.