[cooker] 4.0 final candidate -- UI issues

Hi,
just pretended to be a "stupid" user looking around the 4.0 image (in live mode so far), there's a few things I think we may want to change:
* In the favorites on the left side of the K menu, there's a good chance people will have no idea what "Falkon" is - so they may go looking for a browser with little success. Maybe we should just change the desktop file to say "Name=Falkon Browser" or something similarly obvious? Or maybe patch the favorites bar to display the GenericName rather than the Name for the tooltip?
* In the menu, we have Education > Math and Education > Science -- this is good, but they both contain the exact same things. That makes it a little weird...
* Internet in the K menu is rather cluttered with things 99% of people will neither use nor understand and stuff most people will use only once. "Contact Print Theme Editor", "Contact Theme Editor", "KDE IM Log Viewer", "KMail Header Theme Editor", "KTnef", "lftp", "PIM Setting Exporter", "Sieve Editor" should probably all move to a submenu (maybe kget as well, given most people will use it indirectly?), and maybe KRDC and Krfb need a better description (again switch to GenericName?)
* Konverstation is there and kvirc isn't, when most people I've talked to prefer kvirc - should we switch?
* Office menu -> similar to Internet, too many not generally useful things like "Contact Print THeme Editor", "Contact Theme Editor", "KMail Header Theme Editor", "KTnef", "PIM Setting Exporter", "Sieve Editor"
* Settings -> dnfdragora and dnfdragora-updater in Settings? Wouldn't they fit better in Utilities?
* Lost & Found -- probably shouldn't be there unless people install stuff with bad desktop files -- the USB formatter that's there needs the desktop file fixed

Any thoughts on this? Should I fix them, or do people have objections?

ttyl
bero

Another potential UI issue: Does it make sense to have mpv in the K menu (Multimedia)? We currently do, but I'd think people who want to start it through the menu are better off starting it through smplayer (far more powerful UI).
Should we set the mpv menu entry to hidden?

ttyl
bero

Hi,
just pretended to be a "stupid" user looking around the 4.0 image (in live mode so far), there's a few things I think we may want to change:
* In the favorites on the left side of the K menu, there's a good chance people will have no idea what "Falkon" is - so they may go looking for a browser with little success. Maybe we should just change the desktop file to say "Name=Falkon Browser" or something similarly obvious?

Agreed on "Falkon Browser"

* In the menu, we have Education > Math and Education > Science -- this is good, but they both contain the exact same things. That makes it a little weird...
* Internet in the K menu is rather cluttered with things 99% of people will neither use nor understand and stuff most people will use only once. "Contact Print Theme Editor", "Contact Theme Editor", "KDE IM Log Viewer", "KMail Header Theme Editor", "KTnef", "lftp", "PIM Setting Exporter", "Sieve Editor" should probably all move to a submenu (maybe kget as well, given most people will use it indirectly?), and maybe KRDC and Krfb need a better description

+1

(again switch to GenericName?)
* Konverstation is there and kvirc isn't, when most people I've talked to prefer kvirc - should we switch?

From a "stupid" user POV, I prefer konversation.
Maybe the most people you talked with prefer kvirc because you are
talking mostly with other developers, who are known to prefer kvirc
afaik :smiley:

* Office menu -> similar to Internet, too many not generally useful things like "Contact Print THeme Editor", "Contact Theme Editor", "KMail Header Theme Editor", "KTnef", "PIM Setting Exporter", "Sieve Editor"

+1

* Settings -> dnfdragora and dnfdragora-updater in Settings? Wouldn't they fit better in Utilities?

+1

* Lost & Found -- probably shouldn't be there unless people install stuff with bad desktop files -- the USB formatter that's there needs the desktop file fixed

Lost and Found does not appear anymore when I locally fix the USB
formatter .desktop file. It's the only one needing fix so far.

Should we set the mpv menu entry to hidden?

IMO yes.

Agree on Falkon.

If I am to be honest, I liked the previous menu more than the current one (I mean this layout with the option more).

It was more readable to me. Especially when I have many additional applications installed.

Kvirc vs Konversation? It does not matter to me. Do as you think.

btw. we have also quasell and quaternion (matrix client)

However, with MPV I would leave as it is. Although it is mainly a engine, it also works well as a standalone app. Some may prefer it. Light and only with basic options.

with the other things I agree.

Here are my thoughts:

• Falkon

Falkon Browser is not clear about what it allows to browse. “Falkon Web Browser” sounds likes it says what it browses.

Second would be nice to mention about Falkon in announcement, oma- welcome (maybe allow to install Firefox from oma-welcome).

• Menu scheme is from 2010 and since that date nobody reviewed it either it fits current XDG standards or not.

I’d suggest to recreate menu schema from scratch.

• IRC client

Personally I prefer konversation.

Question is WHO is using IRC these days?

Do you know how many people who was born at the year when IRC was available for the first time, know what it is and will tend to use it, or even have preferences on IRC client?

Falkon browser is mentioned in announcement, and ff is in oma-welcome already

1 Like

Well I don't have to pretend.

Hi,
* In the favorites on the left side of the K menu, there's a good chance people will have no idea what "Falkon" is - so they may go looking for a browser with little success. Maybe we should just change the desktop file to say "Name=Falkon Browser" or something similarly obvious? Or maybe patch the favorites bar to display the GenericName rather than the Name for the tooltip?
* Internet in the K menu is rather cluttered with things 99% of people will neither use nor understand and stuff most people will use only once. "Contact Print Theme Editor", "Contact Theme Editor", "KDE IM Log Viewer", "KMail Header Theme Editor", "KTnef", "lftp", "PIM Setting Exporter", "Sieve Editor" should probably all move to a submenu (maybe kget as well, given most people will use it indirectly?), and maybe KRDC and Krfb need a better description (again switch to GenericName?)

Any thoughts on this? Should I fix them, or do people have objections?

ttyl
bero

--
Cooker mailing-list
https://www.openmandriva.org/lists

Mercy, I hate the way this is connected to forum because of stuff like this. OK. Try this post again. Hope it comes out right in the @#$% @#$%^ forum.

On 6/12/19 8:27 AM, Bernhard Rosenkraenzer wrote:

Hi,
just pretended to be a "stupid" user looking around

Well I don't have to pretend.

And it did not come out like I wanted. Cluck I give up.

Trying to come up with check list of changes since ISO's 2535/2541 for quicker testing and so we can collectively verify all changes happened as desired with no regression. Thus enabling us to get this ding dong release done for the benefit of all mankind.

Partly this is because I've been busy with an urban renewal project for last 3 days and have no doubt missed some things so I'm counting on my highly esteemed colleagues to catch me up. And just possibly such a list will benefit us all.

Here's what I have caught:

1. Check Falkon Home page for beautiful html page instead of ugly ass file page.

2. Checked what Falkon is labeled as in application menu. I think the pooh bahs and supreme leader want to see "Falkon Web Browser" right?

3. Help >>> ON the ISO pages the help pages are empty >>> I think that is intentional or is it? If so is this mentioned in Release Notes?

4. For multi-boot users potential error message about boot flags. Users may not know it but this is probably caused by a misaligned partition or other partition problem. If user chooses to go past this point and install, installation will most likely work but Calamares will have deleted and recreated the /boot/efi partition to get it properly flagged. Again if this isn't in Release Notes I need to get this it there. I believe there is a fix for this on forum that user will need to do before install in order to avoid this.

ben79 should test that fix during testing. Dad gum it.

5. Release Notes: Is the point made that for some printers user will need to install appropriate software before configuring printer. Like for me task-printer-hp. Maybe list the various task-printer-<whatever> available? I'm still not 100% sure what to tell users to expect or do regarding printers I just know it is different from what we have done in the past. (This has nothing to do with good or bad. Instead it goes to giving users accurate information on what to expect.)

6. Look for the various App Launcher changes mentioned in this thread.

7. That can't be everything can it? Really?

1 Like

3 posts were split to a new topic: Cooker category

Devs and QA folks may want to meet in IRC chan some time today in the
afternoon CEST to agree on GO for release.
wdyt?

afternoon CEST to agree on GO for release.
wdyt?

> afternoon CEST to agree on GO for release.
> wdyt?
>

I'm just now downloading the ISO's so that isn't enough time for me. The ISO's weren't finished building when I went to bed last night.

Previously I tested 'Live' ISO this time I tested in installed VBox from ISO 2543 (x86_64). Everything above seems to have been fixed as best I can tell. So good. Very good.

The KMail issue or issues Y'all know about by now and you should also know that the "Plugin library 'grantlee_defaulttags' not found" issue exists in Akregator as well. Whether this is a blocker I should leave to others as I am prejudiced against KMail myself. I am inclined to say that "broken KMail can't be a blocker because KMail always seems to be broken somehow or other for some users."

Another thing I noticed that should have been noticed and reported previously is that SimpleScreenRecorder has a H.264 codec selected by default. This can't be right because we don't have that codec on a default system so we should change that to some know working codec. For me in VBox using VP8 codec worked for instance. I do not consider this a blocker.

I know Colin keeps having trouble with VLC but for me it has been and continues to work just fine. Since the default in file associations is mpv and as far as I know there are no reports of it not working I don't see this as a blocker at all.

So I'm a failure. I just haven't found a last minute blocker. I would have no choice but to vote GO for this ISO.