Congrats on the new Plasma rolling release

Welcome @Locutus to the OpenMandriva forum.

1 Like

OK first bit of feedback Installed using BTRFS. Had to do manual partitioning cause OM Rome wanted to use the boot partition on my nvme drive instead of creating one on the drive it was being installed to. Next after landing on the desktop and doing updates, tweaking the Plasma settings, and configuring Dolphin I was presented with not being able to add rootactions directly in Dolphin from the context menu section on top of a ton of items in the context menu section that should of been already been checked that were unchecked. Next I installed GParted without issue, but when I went to install Disk (gnome-disk-utility) I got a dependency error. One should never get a dependency error installing Disk. I’ll go back in later and attempt both Disk and rootactions again and post the error messages here.

In the meantime can someone please let me know which repositories I should enable? Thanks

Don’t know what other people should do. I do this:

There is a brief description of each repository in that application. There is more about repositories in Release Plan and Repositories.

General user info: If you or any users believes there is a bug please report those here. You or any user may also talk directly to OpenMandriva developers and other contributors at OpenMandriva Chat.
There is information and tutorials in the English forum Resources section and in OM Wiki. As a Community distribution of Linux we depend on community members to help solve issues and make things better in OMLx.

1 Like

Apologies, I heavily edited this post after first writing.

Not sure what is meant by adding rootactions. Adding rootactions service menu here does not work:

As I recall that has not worked for a long time. Bug report may be in order. Not sure where this problem would be but I suspect it would be with the software author kubicle or with KDE.

Here almost everything under context menu was checked by default:

No sure what is wrong with that. There is also KDE Partition Manager which is installed on ROME Plasma systems.

I hope this was helpful.

1 Like

Not sure I understand this one.

Is this with using Partitioning>Erase disk? Are you referring to EFI System Partition or /boot/efi? That is separate from the /boot directory that is part of the operating system, it is a complete separate partition with some kind of fat (fat32, fat16, vfat) file system.

EFI is designed with multi-booting in mind, normally there is no need for more than one /boot/efi. It is specifically designed to be used by multiple operating systems. FWIW On a 300 MB /boot/efi with 3 operating systems I show 99% of space free.

$ df -T
Filesystem     Type      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/nvme1n1p1 vfat      300M  452K  299M   1% /boot/efi

But I am not sure what our Calamares installer does with Erase disk if it recognizes an existing /boot/efi.
Or what it should do.

1 Like

Also descripted here.

1 Like

OK let me start with Rootactions. Looks like OM is one that adding rootactions from within Dolphin doesn’t work. That’s actually not a surprise since it depends on the OS(some it works fine, others you have to use their software search tool), that said it did install from DNF Dragon.

Now for the repos I added 3 that matched the closely the name of the one installed. When I go back into OM I’ll edit this and add their names.

Now for disk I did it after adding those repositories and this time it installed without issue.

As for the items not being checked under the context menu I will have to take a look since I did a reinstall using the other ISO. I’ll edit and post the name once back in OM.

Ben I’m referring to boot/efi. my second SDD I wiped, and chose erase disk and it wanted to use the whole drive for the BTRFS partition and just use the boot/efi partition on the main drive. I know it’s not really a issue, just use to when I go to install a OS on the second drive it normally wants to created both a boot/efi and BTRFS partitions. I prefer it just incase I decide to wipe the main drive or something should go wrong with the main drive then I don’t have to go in, partition, create a boot/efi, and then point grub to it. This way if the one drive for whatever reason isn’t available I can still boot into OM without any added effort.

Anymore questions or more clarification fom me just ask. Thanks for all the feed back.

sudo dnf install --enablerepo=rolling-x86_64-unsupported kde-rootactions-servicemenu

I did not find any problem, the servicemenu is immediately available, and it works as intended here.

1 Like

It is perhaps easier to open Konsole and run this command dnf repolist and post the output here as code. Example:

$ dnf repolist
repo id                                                                                          repo name
rolling-znver1                                                                                   OpenMandriva Rolling - znver1
rolling-znver1-restricted                                                                        OpenMandriva Rolling - Restricted - znver1
rolling-znver1-unsupported                                                                       OpenMandriva Rolling - Unsupported - znver1

Another way is to use Spectacle to post a screen shot. Example:

The most important point is that if you intend to have a ROME system all OpenMandriva repos have rolling in the name. Sometimes users want to add cooker repos which will cause problems or break things.

1 Like

The 3 repos you listed from your output and one other are what I checked. I made sure they matched what I was running.

For the second time I’ve launched dnfdragon, file, repositories, and checked and applied rolling-znver1-non-free, rolling-znver1-restricted, rolling-znver1-unsupported on top of the rollingznver1 that was already checked. Even when I check dnfdragon and see that all 4 are checked the command keeps saying.

Finally figured out that I needed Software Repository Selectror

@Locutus you can’t find and will never read anywhere in official documentation to manage repositories from dnfdragora (or discover).
Never :grin:

^^^^^^

This standard recommendation applies to all versions of OpenMandriva Lx. Current versions are:

• Cooker (development branch for people that like dealing with problems.)
  • ROME the new rolling release of OMLx (best choice for most users)
  • Rock the release for servers and folks that do not like much change (infrequent updates)

Do not use dnfdragora or Discover to upgrade your system. To be safe and thorough use this in Konsole (terminal):

$ sudo dnf --refresh dsync

For a better GUI package manager use DnfDrake. DnfDrake is available for install in the OM-Welcome module. You may find other useful items in the OM-Control Center module.

Yea Discover along with KGet and KTorrent go shortly after any OS install. As for doing updates I only use the GUI to see whats there and aways do the actual update through terminal. Much less chance of something breaking. Thanks for pointing me at DnfDrake, I’ll have a look.

Hey if my post in the one nVidia driver thread was a bit harsh it wasn’t meant to be. It’s just that I ran across a issue that most Linux OS’s that had it fixed it, and that would be using rootactions to take ownership of secondary partitions without messing up the same ownership in other OS’s. I booted in to OM and mounted my data partitions and drives to folders I created in /mnt/ after rightclicking in /mnt/ and giving active user ownership using rootactions. I go into Garuda and Arch and suddenly various items mounted the same way I have to take ownership of again. This is a issue with something being off with base permissions in the last OS that was added. In this case OM. I know cause Garuda made the same mistake awhile back and has since addressed it.

Now as for the nVidia proprietary drivers I get people not wanting to use them, but the OS should not have to have any files much less the kernel rolled back to work correctly with them.

That said there is also the fact that even with the 3 additional repositories I still had to add a separate repos for both Chrome and Brave, and will have to hunt down how to install vivaldi and other apps I use cause they’re not in the repos I added like appimagelauncher is missing. I hate to say it but OM is proving to be a pain to get up and running to my liking including apps that should run with out issue like Deluge.

Don’t worry you did nothing wrong.

Actually the nvidia topic is talked about since longtime, and recently subject of more wide and intensive discussion.

On one side we promote free and open source software and as consistent and by belief there are just maybe a couple of contributors running nvidia drivers, mostly in a secondary piece of hardware and/or for testing purpose.

On the other hand we do understand that to install the nvidia drivers looks like one of the most common desire/need. Thus we are working more today than yesterday to provide the best possible experience to current and future users.

OpenMandriva is designed to be a Community Linux distribution. It has no employees and consists of a small group of all volunteer, unpaid, part-time, developers and other contributors.
It means that something may take longer to get it done than we want it to.

1 Like

Thanks for the info and letting me know my post is ok. That said happy to report nVidia drivers installed without issue even without rolling back the kernel. Now as for Deluge this is what I get in Konsole.

[locutus@Unimatrix-Zero ~]$ deluge
Gtk-Message: 06:10:38.864: Failed to load module "xapp-gtk3-module"
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/deluge", line 33, in <module>
    sys.exit(load_entry_point('deluge==2.1.1', 'gui_scripts', 'deluge')())
             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/deluge/ui/ui_entry.py", line 140, in start_ui
    ui.start()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/deluge/ui/gtk3/__init__.py", line 45, in start
    from .gtkui import GtkUI
  File "/usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/deluge/ui/gtk3/gtkui.py", line 24, in <module>
    from twisted.internet import defer, gtk3reactor
  File "/usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/twisted/internet/gtk3reactor.py", line 22, in <module>
    from twisted.internet import gireactor
  File "/usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/twisted/internet/gireactor.py", line 24, in <module>
    import gi.pygtkcompat  # type: ignore[import]
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/lib64/python3.11/site-packages/gi/pygtkcompat.py", line 9, in <module>
    from pygtkcompat import (enable,
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'pygtkcompat

No pb.

Feedback is very useful too. Thanks.

It would be helpful for other users if separate topics were posted separately. Otherwise other user won’t be able to find an existing issue.

This particular issue should get a bug report.

General user info: If you or any users believes there is a bug please report those here. You or any user may also talk directly to OpenMandriva developers and other contributors at OpenMandriva Chat.
There is information and tutorials in the English forum Resources section and in OM Wiki. As a Community distribution of Linux we depend on community members to help solve issues and make things better in OMLx.
OpenMandriva consists of a small group of all volunteer, unpaid, part-time, developers and other contributors. There are no employees.

1 Like

How to submit bug report to Github Issues