Candidate ISO build 1082

I guess a good starting point is to use the “Mandriva 2010.2” version of translated licenses !

The only needed is someone that clarify the volunteers where changes were made in Licence from 2010.2 up to now.

2 Likes

I repeat what I said before: I guess this is not that much serious [problem], as 99,9999% of users will press “next” without reading the license !

2 Likes

D[quote=“ben79, post:40, topic:1194”]
Last person we had doing this went bye bye.
[/quote]

We also have problems with Transifex and their new licensing model. I thought we could migrate to Zanata (If I remember the name correctly of the open source alternative, hosted and maintained by RH)

1 Like

Good morning / afternoon for all.

My report, part 2.

I installed OMV LX 3.02 (b 1082) on a partition.

A note: all installation processes were started from a Live boot of OMV Lx3 (in a previous build of Lx3, I tried to install directly from the grub menu option and it didn’t work, so now I always try to install from inside a running Live mode).

First test was a fail. I used “use an existing partition” option to install OMV, but after all the unpack of the big file, an error appeared saying something about the partition (sorry, I didn’t write it !!), and installation failed.

Then I tried again, but using the “manual partition” option, without formatting anything. I don’t know why it failed again. Installation finished well in this case, but after a reboot, and selecting the right option at grub menu, start up process stopped trying to do something with root. I really didn’t care too much. I rebooted into my 2014.2, formatted the future root partition of Lx3, started again the installation process, installation finished, and reboot works well. Now, I have a Lx 3.02 system working.

I still didn’t try to install the nVidia proprietary driver (from non-free or testing repo).

Checklist OMLx 3.02 development ISO build 1082, continued:

INSTALLED SYSTEM in VirtualBox: NOT TESTED

INSTALLED SYSTEM in Hardware
Does login for user works - YES -
Does default graphical desktop shows after login - YES -
Does default graphical desktop is usable (basics, like menu, file manager, web browser) - YES -
Plymouth: I don’t remember. I’ll see this next time I boot in Lx 3.02

INSTALLATION in Hardware
“Use an existing partition” option didn’t work, but I’m not so sure the problem was really that option. I managed to finally install a working system formatting the partition from outside and then using the “manual partitioning” option.

Reported by others: “calamares appears for a short while and suddenly closes”
This happened to me if I try to launch the installation process from a Live session more than once. It works the first time, but a reboot is needed to launch the installation again (after, for example, cancelling the first installation attempt).

KMail (affected by a known bug) was not tested.

4 Likes

Yeap. It seems very interesting. Of at least two things are strictly needed (imo):
– a real structured team
– a way to add the translated texts to the isos in coordination with cooker. I’m a total newbe in that matter and I have no idea how to proceed.

3 Likes

@ben79: I didn’t found nVidia drivers here (Index of /3.0/repository/x86_64/non-free/testing/) nor there (Index of /3.0/repository/x86_64/main/testing/).

I found a nvidia proprietary rpm here: Index of /3.0/repository/x86_64/non-free/updates/

Versions: current, 340 and 304, along with some others non-free packages (like Skype and Flash Player).

Can those packages be used on Lx 3.02?

Yes.
Edit: The packages probably got moved and maybe no one announced they were doing so? Any way if packages are in 3.0 repos they can be used in 3.02 or any other Lx 3 system. Lx 3.02 is just a new spin of Lx 3 with updated packages.

1 Like

My report, part 3 A.

INSTALLED SYSTEM in Hardware
Plymouth: No.
After text saying is using kernel 4.11.3, a text screen appears, showing all the modules are being loaded and finished during boot.

In OMCC, I launched the graphic card configuration, the nVidia card was recognized, and system “offered” to install the proprietary drivers. I accepted. Drivers version 378.13-3 were installed. I’m going to reboot now to see if system boots in graphic mode.

2 Likes

My report, part 3 B.

After installing the proprietary driver of my nVidia card, via OMCC, reboot, and I’m here again !

It works !!

$ lspci -v [...] 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK107 [GeForce GTX 650] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller]) Subsystem: eVga.com. Corp. GK107 [GeForce GTX 650] Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 30 Memory at f6000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M] Memory at e0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M] Memory at f0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=32M] I/O ports at e000 [size=128] [virtual] Expansion ROM at 000c0000 [disabled] [size=128K] Capabilities: Kernel driver in use: nvidia Kernel modules: nvidiafb, nouveau, nvidia_drm, nvidia_current

A note: Plymouth still DOESN’T APPEAR. Still the text screen with modules loaded and finished. But now, in a lower resolution (less lines per screen). In 2014.2 it was the same. I guess nVidia driver doesn’t allow to use the full resolution at that point. It’s not a problem to me, but I prefer to have a plymouth “welcome”.

2 Likes

Well. Now with the nVidia at full speed, here goes my report, part 4.

First point: still some glitches in screen !!!. Much less than with nouveau, but there are some glitches. Is this a Plasma related problem???

I tested some programs. They all can be launched and used without problems:

• LibreOffice
  • Firefox. Audio in YouTube videos work. HTML5 automatically configured. In www.youtube.com/html5, all options (HTMLVideoElement, H.264, WebM VP8, Media Source Extensions, MSE & H.264, MSE & WebM VP9) are enabled by default.
  • Konsole
  • OMCC (it ask for my user password, not root password; but I’m the first user of the system)
  • Added some widgets: analog clock (it comes with Plasma), and yr.no meteorological forecast (downloaded and installed)
  • Stellarium (installed via OMCC)
  • GIMP (I really REALLY need GIMP 2.9 or later, because they can handle 16-bits per channel TIFF images)
  • kcalc
  • Clementine (I miss Amarok, but Clementine is not that bad)
  • Customization of hotkeys for some programs (via “Edit applications” in the “Start OMV” button). It can use, successfully, special keys like “Home”, “Browser” and “Search”. Rise and down audio volume can be directly used from special keys without configuring anything. GOOD POINT !
  • Configuration of mounting points for partitions (not defined during installation), even for FAT-32 and NTFS partitions, via OMCC.
  • Connection of a USB printer was detected !
  • Connection of a DSLR camera (Canon model) was detected and images could be downloaded.
  • Installed Aladin (aladin.u-strasbg.fr), an astronomy software. It requieres Java. I could install java 1.8.0, and use Aladin without problems.
4 Likes

I see :slight_smile:
However, as you have nvidia card it would be very useful to know if build 1108 works for you from ‘Install’ menu entry (or not). No need to actually install, just need to test if Calamares install process would start properly now, you can abort process at any time before partitioning.
Please read bug 2175.

I’ll try soon !

1 Like

Thank you.
Sorry, I forgot to add “if you have some spare time” - of course :grin:

1 Like