When install bbswitch and configure it, that not work

Hi all! I’m fairly new to OpenMandriva and after installing it, I ran into a few problems, which is probably due to my lack of knowledge of the system. The most important thing for me is to save power on my laptop, so I try to always disable the discrete Nvidia graphics card with bbswitch. I’ve set everything up as needed, but still, bbswitch seems to not be loaded at all during boot. I created files in /etc/modules-load.d, and in /etc/modprobe.d with the bbswitch configuration. Is anyone able to help me?

Welcome @matadrox to OpenMandriva Community and this forum.

OpenMandriva is a Community distribution of Linux. Contributors are all part-time, unpaid volunteers.

I do not know anything specific about your issue. I thought that bbswitch was obsolete and people were using something called Prime. Something like Optimus Prime.

Do know dkms-bbswitch was last touched 3 years ago. bbswitch upstream has not been touched since Dec. 2013.

I also know you won’t find anything about this in OM Wiki.

1 Like

Well indeed you are right. It may not be wise to use such a package. In that case, I will try to use prime for switching and will let you know. Thank you for your response and interest.

Wish I could be of more help.

If you can figure how to use prime or something else for this we could use a “How To” post or article.

I know Arch Linux has some good documentation on this. See these Fedora docs about Bumblebee and this about Optimus. But to do this in OMLx will probably require some uniques steps or additional tweaking.