Wayland, KDE and AMD Radeon

Recently when reinstalling OpenMandriva Lx 3.03 (after accidentaly removing glibc library with the rm command on my previous OpenMandriva Lx 3.01 installation) I noticed that you could try KDE 5 with Wayland as the windowing system instead of the good old X.org X11. I decided that I should give this “brand new” technology a shot, so I rebooted my PC and selected “Plasma Wayland” instead of “Plasma session” on the login screen. Then I finally logged in. Everything seemed to work a lot faster and smoother at first until I tried to open Qt Creator (from download.qt.io, not from the repos) and Firefox. Just when I clicked on the Firefox icon, the screen turned black, the taskbar disappeared. It stayed like this for 10-15 seconds and then the KDE desktop restarted without any error message. And finally, a few seconds later, Firefox’s window appeared. And this happened with every single program that did not support Wayland. Maybe there is a solution to this problem.

My PC is an ASUS laptop with an AMD Ryzen processor and Radeon R5 video card. Here is some useful info for troubleshooting:

[tim@tim-pc ~]$ cat /proc/cpuinfo | tail -26
cpu family      : 22
model           : 48
model name      : AMD A8-7410 APU with AMD Radeon R5 Graphics
[other stuff about AMD-V virtualization extensions, processor features, etc]

OpenMandriva’s harddrake reports:

Identification
Vendor: ‎Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]

Description: ‎Mullins [Radeon R4/R5 Graphics]

Media class: ‎DISPLAY_VGA

Misc:
Module: radeon

Forgot to mention a few things:

• The video card’s model is actually AMD Radeon R5 M230.
  • Konqueror (the only browser which I got working while using Wayland) is really unstable and crashes. I can’t provide you with the backtrace right now, but in it there was one of the X11 libraries mentioned.

I would suggest you try to contact our developers at #openmandriva-cooker on Freenode IRC. Please don’t hesitate to go there and ask questions or ask for help. It is where the people that can actually fix things (developers) can be found. And be patient it can take some time to get someones attention. Our developer group is not large and developers tend to be busy people doing many things during the course of one day.

Also, unless I’m mistaken, Plasma Wayland is a work in progress and perhaps not ready for “Prime Time”. @TPG could inform us better on this.

Don’t mean to imply that a person can’t get help on forum but the OM forum is mostly users helping other users and your issue needs a developer.

The developer that probably knows the most about Wayland in Lx 3 is @TPG.

Welcome @mandrivauser2018 to OpenMandriva and the OM forum. Hope you enjoy your time here.

If you feel the wish to participate in any capacity there are many things we need help with.

Edit: I should have led with this perhaps… :roll_eyes:

Thanks for the reply and for the warm welcome message! :slight_smile: I’ll try asking on the IRC channel.