I installed the new LXQt version of ROME to an old laptop for a change. It is light and snappy.
How to add virtual desktops? There is a Desktop Switcher widget but nothing to switch to.
I learned from the net that virtual desktops are managed by window manager OpenBox. How? I even installed obconf-qt but it does not work : “Failed to load an rc.xml. You have probably failed to install Openbox properly.”
Here is what you need to do for virtual desktops under kwin_x11.
Go into terminal and type kcmshell6 – list
There should be kcm-virtualdesktops or something like that, them type kcmshell6 kcm-virtualdesktops ( if that is what it is labeled) and then add your desktops from there.
My suggestion is to also add kglobalaccel
Sudo dnf in kglobalaccel
Then go back into kcmshell6 –list
Find kcmshell6 kcm-kwinattabox_x11(not sure of spelling) and click default when you open it, so alt-tab to switch between windows works
Openbox is only one of several common window managers to use with LXQt. OpenMandriva actually uses KWin for window management as the last poster was giving you information about. I assume you’re using the latest iso (or an equivalently updated system), since that’s what you’ve listed in your message. I’ve looked at what your system should have here since I’m actually testing the GNOME iso right now and can’t test LXQt this moment:
I see that yes, KWin is still used as it was last I looked, and also that kglobalacceld and related packages are installed. Given these things, I believe you should just be able to use Meta + W to open your Overview which will allow you interact with your Virtual Desktops in many ways, including adding them as you wish. If this doesn’t work for some reason, please reply back and we can take a look at why as I didn’t want to make this reply any longer than it already was for you to read lol.
Thanks. managed to do it. The module is
kcm_kwin_virtualdesktops_x11
LXQt’s Desktop Switcher has a minor bug. It does not respect the “Rows” setting but always shows the desktops at 2 rows. My 2 desktops align vertically but I wanted them side by side. Then the buttons would be a little bigger.
So it is KWin!
How to find out which window manager is used? Google’s AI told me it is OpenBox and I didn’t know how to check it.