Using OMV Lx3, my PC sometimes seems a F1 car and sometimes a turtle

Hi.

Well, the title says almost all.

After yesterday I downloaded and burnt the last OMX Lx3 cooker available, and after a successful test on a Compaq notebook, I put the USB pendrive in my box, and reboot.

The result: WORKS !

It boot up almost flawlessly. My nVidia GTX 650 card was recognized and I enjoy Plasma 5 at 1920x1080 (full resolution for my monitor). A little difference with the Compaq: during boot the Compaq (Intel integrated graphics) shown an animation, but my box (nVidia card not integrated) only shows three little boxes in text mode.

As I boot from a USB drives, the boot elapsed time is loooooong. It took years to read the drive. But after 3 or 4 minutes (I didn’t take times, but it seems that last a lot; it was a long boot on the notebook too), the KDE desk appeared and I was able to use it.

As ever, no plasma panel. Activated via right click.

But then I begun to do some things. One real temptation was the installation of plasma-applet-weather-widget for Plasma 5. As the package site says (GitHub - kotelnik/plasma-applet-weather-widget: Plasma 5 applet for displaying weather information from yr.no server.), I should install it by hand. A total challenge to me. But step by step, and after installing 391 packages (a lot of them related to cmake, gcc and some qt5 devel libs, almost old Chinese to me !!), I was able to make the widget appear in the desk !!! I’m very happy with that, specially with the fact I was able to deal with the dependecies missing only reading the console screen and using urpmq and urpmf to find what package I should install for almost all the 391 packages (counted !; the exception was the first dependency I had to deal with: cmake; nothing that Google cannot resolve anyway).

The surprise: every time I installed a new dependency, the PC was running fast !!! I know is probably due the live system lives in memory and probably due I was using CLI too. But it was burning fast, and I was really surprised how fast my PC is. The compilation of the widget was very fast too. And the download of packages was faster than in OMV 2014, even when I’m using the very same wired connection to Internet. At least apparently.

Then, only by chance, I run the “inxi” command, and here comes the surprise, the “F1 car” of the title:

$ inxi -C
CPU:       Quad core Intel Core i5-3340 (-MCP-) cache: 6144 KB 
           clock speeds: max: 3300 MHz 1: 3293 MHz 2: 3297 MHz 3: 3268 MHz 4: 3289 MHz

OVERCLOCKED ???!?!?!?!?!

Under OMV 2014, the output is something like:

$ inxi -C
CPU:       Quad core Intel Core i5-3340 (-MCP-) cache: 6144 KB 
           clock speeds: max: 3300 MHz 1: 3099 MHz 2: 3100 MHz 3: 3099 MHz 4: 3099 MHz

I didn’t touch anything !!!

Does OMV Lx3 overclocked my PC ??

Supposedly, my system should run at 3100 MHz.

Now, the “turtle”.

While I was using the PC, it appeared the classic sign saying I should update the system. Logical. It’s a 14 days old cooker. Clicking on the sign, the system entered in a very sloooooooooow state, maybe reading from the internet which package should be updated. Actually, I didn’t know was the system was doing. Nothing in the screen, except the arrow moving in circles indicating that I must wait. Not a single word saying something like “searching packages to update” or better “xxx packages needs to be updated and searching for more”, or some sort of “%-of-advance”. Nothing. After 8 to 10 minutes, the screen informed that more than 400 packages should be updated. Why it lasted so much ? I know that they are a lot of packages, but it was a long time without any trace of what the system was doing.

The next step is to install the Lx3 in the box. I left a reserved partition when I partitioned the disk long time ago, so it’s time to fill that partition !

A note: I’m writing this from OMV Lx3 in Live mode ! :wink:

Hi @Sirius
several things you describe are bug already reported in bugzilla

try this to see all bugs identified in isos