Telegram desktop stopped working

Hello,

• OpenMandriva Lx version:
    Lx 4.2

• Desktop environment (KDE, LXQT…):
    KDE

• Description of the issue (screenshots if relevant):
    Previously working Telegram desktop installed from dnfdragora will not complete loading process. Launching the program from menu = tab with icon appears momentarily with spinner, then disappears with no further explanation.
    I have tried removing & reinstalling with dnfdragora, same result.
    The program did load previously and was in use for several months, no known changes initiated.

• Relevant informations (hardware involved, software version, logs or output…):
    Telegram desktop 2.4.8 from package repository (dnfdragora)
    |10/28/21 2:51 PM|systemd|Started Telegram Desktop - Telegram Desktop.|
    |—|—|—|
    |10/28/21 2:51 PM|systemd|app-telegramdesktop-efbf4f2eb53a42339e257ddfa7ffabad.scope: Succeeded.|
    |10/28/21 2:51 PM|kwin_x11|qt.qpa.xcb: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 3 (BadWindow), sequence: 59744, resource id: 10486391, major code: 18 (ChangeProperty), minor code: 0|
    |10/28/21 2:51 PM|plasmashell|file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.kicker/contents/ui/ItemListDialog.qml:51: TypeError: Cannot read property ‘separatorCount’ of null|
    |10/28/21 2:51 PM|plasmashell|trying to show an empty dialog|
    |10/28/21 2:51 PM|plasmashell|trying to show an empty dialog|
    |10/28/21 2:52 PM|kernel|[UFW BLOCK] IN=enp1s0 OUT= MAC=01:00:5e:00:00:01:94:10:3e:f7:ba:12:08:00 SRC=192.168.2.1 DST=224.0.0.1 LEN=28 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=1 ID=0 DF PROTO=2 |
    |10/28/21 2:52 PM|kernel|[UFW BLOCK] IN=enp1s0 OUT= MAC=01:00:5e:00:00:fb:c0:d2:f3:f3:87:92:08:00 SRC=192.168.2.2 DST=224.0.0.251 LEN=32 TOS=0x00 PREC=0xC0 TTL=1 ID=0 DF PROTO=2 |

That is probably a typo, you should have v. 2.5.8.

UFW would be your firewall. Perhaps something changed with your firewall?

Edit: There have not been any software changes to Lx 4.2 from OpenMandriva in recent past that would affect this.

Typo it is, sorry…
…actually version 2.5.8, as corrected.

Name search in dnfdragora shows the following installed:
firewall-config 0.9.3
firewalld 0.9.3
nx-firewall 0.4.1

firewall-config launch from desktop start menu fails: failure to connect to firewalld

“Configure your firewall” launched from OM Control Center shows:
Firewall enabled
Default Incoming Policy: Deny.

I have never touched these settings.
Is this the default?

Your system is probably using ufw not firewalld. This is what I found on OM Lx 4.2 systems I have:

# systemctl status firewalld
Unit firewalld.service could not be found.

# systemctl status ufw
● ufw.service - Uncomplicated firewall
     Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/ufw.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
     Active: active (exited) since Thu 2021-10-28 22:03:56 CDT; 3min 32s ago
       Docs: man:ufw(8)
             man:ufw-framework(8)
             file://usr/share/doc/ufw/README
    Process: 640 ExecStart=/usr/libexec/ufw/ufw-init start (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
   Main PID: 640 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

Oct 28 22:03:55 vbox-Z-3767 systemd[1]: Starting Uncomplicated firewall...
Oct 28 22:03:56 vbox-Z-3767 systemd[1]: Finished Uncomplicated firewall.

I thought the default was supposed to be Allow for Incoming and Outgoing but my systems were set to Deny also. I have asked developers about this on IRC.

You could try setting incoming to Allow and see if Telegram works again.

Yes I am wondering if I was wrong and there was some software update that changed firewall settings.

I checked my Lx 4.2 systems and there was no change or update to ufw since 2021-02-12 when I installed them in VBox.

Edit:
Maybe these will help someone:

UFW Essentials: Common Firewall Rules and Commands

UFW Allow and UFW Deny

My reply was different.
Here’s what I got:

# systemctl status firewalld
● firewalld.service - firewalld - dynamic firewall daemon
     Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/firewalld.service; disabled; vendor preset: enabled)
     Active: inactive (dead)
       Docs: man:firewalld(1)

Here is the UFW status:

# systemctl status ufw

● ufw.service - Uncomplicated firewall
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/ufw.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: active (exited) since Thu 2021-10-28 14:39:15 PDT; 6h ago
Docs: man:ufw(8)
man:ufw-framework(8)
file://usr/share/doc/ufw/README
Process: 781 ExecStart=/usr/libexec/ufw/ufw-init start (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Main PID: 781 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

From a quick look at the links you provided, deny incoming is default.
To my knowledge, I have not intentionally changed the default settings, and the Telegram desktop program was working successfully since the most recent installation of the OM LX 4.2 O/S.

I’m curious and concerned about possible adverse effects of re-setting the default to allow, and also how this was changed to become non-functional.

Also, gufw - the GUI front end is not available in repository, any ideas if this might be included in the future?

Changed Incoming from Deny to Allow, made no difference, Telegram launch still fails in same manner, so I reset to Deny

I got this from one of our developers:

Telegram might have done something that disables old clients – may be worth trying to install the telegram-desktop package from cooker

Edit: The telegram-desktop package in cooker will not install in OM Lx 4.2 so that option won’t work.

The idea about the firewall was a guess. And not necessarily a very good guess because OM has not done anything to the firewall that I know of since Lx 4.2 was released.

Here telegram-desktop in OM Lx 4.2 does not open with this output:

$ telegram-desktop

(process:1848): Telegram-WARNING **: 12:27:01.105: GTK integration was disabled on build or in runtime. This will lead to clipboard issues and a lack of some features (like Auto-Night Mode or system window cont
rols layout).

(process:1848): Telegram-WARNING **: 12:27:01.106: Application was built without embedded fonts, this may lead to font issues.
telegram-desktop: symbol lookup error: telegram-desktop: undefined symbol: SHA1, version OPENSSL_3.0.0

Edit: So something to do with openssl may be the culprit. If that is so then it won’t be fixed in OM Lx 4.2 but will be fixed for Lx 4.3.

Thank you!

I have not installed from cooker before.
I will look into that as a possible pre-OM 4.3 solution.

I really appreciate your help, Ben.
Take care, friend.

The cooker package won’t install in OM Lx 4.2 because of dependencies.

As workaround you can try upstream Telegram binary package.

This pre-build binary: https://telegram.org/dl/desktop/linux

or flatpak: Flathub—An app store and build service for Linux

Hi,
you may try to launch telegram-desktop from a terminal and post here results.

My guess it’s a problem of openssl version.

Thanks for the reply.
Here is result:

[root@michael-ms7721 bin]#                                 telegram-desktop

(process:31665): Telegram-WARNING **: 15:03:41.419: GTK integration was disabled on build or in runtime. This will lead to clipboard issues and a lack of some features (like Auto-Night Mode or system window controls layout).

(process:31665): Telegram-WARNING **: 15:03:41.422: Application was built without embedded fonts, this may lead to font issues.
QStandardPaths: runtime directory '/run/user/1001' is not owned by UID 0, but a directory permissions 0700 owned by UID 1001 GID 1006
QStandardPaths: runtime directory '/run/user/1001' is not owned by UID 0, but a directory permissions 0700 owned by UID 1001 GID 1006
telegram-desktop: symbol lookup error: telegram-desktop: undefined symbol: SHA1, version OPENSSL_3.0.0
[root@michael-ms7721 bin]#

infact this means that it is not compatible with openssl v3.0.0.

but maybe the culprit may be tg_owt library.

Thank you for the reply.
Do you have any suggestion or recommendations to get this program to run on this system again?

For now just wait: openmandriva devs are at wokr to fix it, when done just get updates and telegram will work again.

Ok, thanks for your help.