SystemSettings5>Application Style>GNOME Application Style (GTK) crashes

This is on 2 different hardware systems installed form most recent ISO # 2385 and fully updated.

First I tend to want a bit larger type font than the default. So I set this in SystemSettings5 both under Appearance>Fonts and Appearance>Application Style (for GTK apps). However in Firefox and Thunderbird I have the relatively tiny default font not what I set. Thus settings in SystemSettings5 appear to be not respected by the system for these GTK apps.

To make things more confusing for me in an older installation (on my desktop) from I think ISO #2348 but fully updated the fonts in FF and T-Bird are what I expect and what I set. How can this be?

What or where should I be looking to track down what is causing this? Any ideas why this occurs?

Maybe issue is related to this: Every time in SystemSettings5>Appearance>Application Style>GNOME Application Style (GTK) every time I make any change when I select “Apply” SystemSettings5 crashes with this:

(systemsettings5:1735): GLib-GIO-ERROR **: 21:59:09.045: Settings schema 'org.gnome.desktop.interface' is not installed
Trace/breakpoint trap (core dumped)

Entire Konsole output here: systemsettings5_crash.txt (1.5 KB)

Again in my older system this crash does not happen. Wondering now if there is some package installed in the older system that this one does not have? But I don’t know specifically what to look for.

I thought for sure ‘gsettings-desktop-schema’ would fix this but it doesn’t. I keep looking.

No sooner did I post the above then thought to:

$ dnf reinstall firefox

And that seems to have fixed problem. I thought of that because ‘org.gnome.desktop.interface’ was missing from /usr/share/glib-2.0 until installing ‘gsettings-desktop-schema’. After reinstalling firefox problem was corrected in both firefox and thunderbird. But I’ll reinstall thunderbird also because I’m a Bad @$$ Linux Monkey.

Post-edit: So I propose the workaround for this is:

$ sudo dnf install gsettings-desktop-schemas

$ sudo dnf reinstall firefox thunderbird 

The fix for this would likely be one or the other of:

1. Add gsettings-desktop-schemas to default package list. This would be preferred because without it that bucks up SystemSettings5>Application Style>GNOME Application Style (GTK) and makes it crash for just about anything user changes in there.

2. Or add package to FF, T-Bird and every other GTK packages that would need as a ‘requires’?

:monkey:

One step to add to the workaround for Firefox and Thunderbird you have to go back to SystemSettings5>Application Style>GNOME Application Style (GTK) and change the Font or whatever and select ‘Apply’ before anything changes. So actually that may be the necessary second step and the reinstall may be redundant.

Behold for before it was if I were blind but after the workaround now I can SEE!

:speak_no_evil: :hear_no_evil: :see_no_evil:

These problems persist on x86_64 OMLx 4.0 Alpha ISO # 2397. I’m told by a developer that the real solution should be not installing ‘gsettings-desktop-schemas’ but fixing other gtk related packages probably for this most likely ‘kde-gtk-config’.

We shall see what happens but I’m hoping for a permanent fix at some point.

@ben79

Try kde-gtk-config 5.14.90-2.

kde-gtk-config 5.14.90-2 seems to correct the problem of SystemSettings5>Application Style>GNOME Application Style (GTK) crashing.