System upgrade problem Lx 4.2

Hello,

• OpenMandriva Lx version:

OM Lx 4.2 (Applies to any system upgrade whether with Discover, dnfdragora, or terminal/command line.)

• Desktop environment (KDE, LXQT…):

NA

• Description of the issue (screenshots if relevant):

User attempts to upgrade Lx 4.2 system and sees 600+ packages that will downgrade. Observant users will see that dnf is wanting to install kernel-5.10.10-1. Given that when released Lx 4.2 had kernel-5.10.14-1 this is incorrect. So do not do this. (However if a user does do this it is easy enough to correct.)

• Relevant informations (hardware involved, software version, logs or output…):

This is due to the recent issues with our ABF server and the step by step process of correcting this and getting our ABF system back up and functional.

Fortunatly there is a simple, easy, fix for this. Open Konsole and run this command:

$ sudo om-mirror-selector.sh -m

and select option 2 to use the distro.ibiblio.org/openmandriva/ mirror.

Now you will be using a mirror with the current OM Lx 4.2 packages.

I will post next what this does and some more for advanced users.

As always should you encounter any issues please ask us in a new thread with a title descriptive of your issue and some detailed information. Or ask us at #openmandriva @ Freenode IRC. For IRC matrix alternative select Chat here.

What this actually does is that the om-mirror-selector.sh -m command re-writes all the .repo files in /etc/yum.repos.d to use Index of /openmandriva/. Advanced user that know how to edit these files (it is actually fairly easy) will know they can then edit the .repo file they are using to use another OM mirror.

As far as the kernel-5.10.10-1 that should work just fine. A user would only be missing whatever changes kernel.org made between kernel-5.10.10 and kernel-5.10.14. Also OM uses the most recent kernel version by default so your system should automatically boot kernel-5.10.14. So for most users this is nothing to be concerned about.

What do I do if I did this upgrade which is more of a downgrade anyway?

This is untested but should work:

Fortunately there is a simple, easy, fix for this. Open Konsole and run this command:

$ sudo om-mirror-selector.sh -m

and select option 2 to use the Index of /openmandriva/ mirror.

Now you will be using a mirror with the current OM Lx 4.2 packages. Next run this command in Konsole to upgrade your system:

$ sudo dnf clean all ; sudo dnf disto-sync

That should bring everything back up to date with the current packages.

As always should you encounter any issues please ask us in a new thread with a title descriptive of your issue and some detailed information. Or ask us at #openmandriva @ Freenode IRC. For IRC matrix alternative select Chat here.

Obviously the ABF problem 10 days after we did a new release is a bit of a challenge. So if I made any mistakes they are mine only. Just let us know if you see anything incorrect.

I believe Infra and Developers are doing a rather excellent job of getting things back from the ABF server outage.

Impressive for a small all unpaid, volunteer group.