Rolling users > major distribution upgrade

Our Rolling release is currently also OM Lx 4.3.

Copying cooker repos to rolling repos is done. Now is the time for users to do the distribution upgrade. Do not use Discover or dnfdragora to do this upgrade, they will not do it correctly. It is strongly recommended to do this from terminal (Konsole). This is the basic command string:

$ dnf clean all ; sudo dnf clean all ; sudo dnf distro-sync

if you have any third party repositories disable them before doing this. If you have any additional software installed some packages may give an error. chromium-browser-stable is an example of this. If you have chromium-browser-stable you will have to remove it. Unfortunately you won’t be able to replace it until a new version is available. Current alternative browsers in OM Lx are the default Falkon and Firefox. Post-edit: Developers are working on a new version of chromium-browser-stable.

At the end are some scripts that will ask questions. This is from a x86_64 Rolling system I upgraded:

For Configuration file '/etc/sane.d/dll.conf' I select the default action to keep the current file. To do this press the Enter key.

For Configuration file '/etc/sddm.conf' I select to use the new file. To do that press Y or I then press Enter. You will have to reset any custom preferences in SystemSettings>Startup and Shutdown>Login Screen (SDDM). Why do I do this? SDDM starts up your Plasma desktop, an old sddm configuration file may not do everything newer KDE/Plasma packages require.

Last in my list was Configuration file '/etc/shadow'. /etc/shadow contains all your user information and passwords. If you want to keep the same users and passwords then you need to keep this file. In this case this is very easy as they set: The default action is to keep your current version.. To accept the default action you just press the Enter key on your keyboard.

Post-edit: It seems pulseaudio-server is being removed during this distro-sync process. If you are using that for audio you will need to re-install it:

$ sudo dnf install pulseaudio-server

After doing this dnf distro-sync you need to reboot your system for the new kernel and other much more up to date software.

Note: On a fairly basic x86_64 Rolling system I had 2293 packages downloaded and either upgraded or reinstalled.

1 Like