Problems with kmail

Hello,

• OpenMandriva Lx version: 4.0

• Desktop environment (KDE, LXQT…): KDE plasma

• Description of the issue (screenshots if relevant): I’m having a problem with kmail where I can’t add a gmail account to kmail.
    Where a message appears saying that signing in with google is disabled for the app. I already checked my account and it seems that the problem is in kmail.

• Relevant informations (hardware involved, software version, logs or output…):
    I didn’t make a bug report because I’m not sure if the problem is with kmail or my gmail account.

1 Like

We need @Colin for this one. Yes the problem is very likely in KMail and may be specific to OpenMandriva also as I’m not sure we have KMail dialed in properly yet. That’s why we need @Colin. (I’ll make sure he knows about this one.)

So thanks for reporting. And hang on this one may take a bit of work and time to get right.

1 Like

Hi,
This is down to Google banning akonadi from contacting it’s servers.
You can fix it by going to your Google account via your web browser. Once in go to settings > security
Under “Change account settings” sewlect " " Other Google Account settings"
This will take you to another page. In the left panel of this page select “Security”
This will bring you to yet another page! look for " Less secure app access" it will be currently set to off. Use the link to set it to on; there’s a slide switch to the right of the entry when you get the new page, slide the switch to set it to on.
Exit all the pages and go to the configuration for your google account in kmail (settings > configure kmail)
Select the Google account and then select modify. Select the receiving tab and set password authentication to PLAIN.
After this your account should be active in kmail.
It took me much longer to write this than to perform this setup.
Best,
Colin

2 Likes