OpenOffice menu item

I installed OpenOffice 4.1.4 and I’m trying to add related items to KDE main menu. Following OO instructions I use this command and I get an error message:

# rpm -i openoffice4.1.4-mandriva-menus-4.1.4-9788.noarch.rpm error: Failed dependencies: mandrake-release is needed by openoffice4.1.4-mandriva-menus-4.1.4-9788.noarch
This rpm never worked because of conflict with LibreOffice but now error has changed.
Any idea on how to solve it?

• OpenMandriva Lx version: 3

• Desktop environment: KDE 5

Hi,
were did you get this package (openoffice4.1.4-mandriva-menus)?

Is part of OpenOffice package.
I downloaded it from here but it should be present in any package of OO.
Usually you download a tar.gz file of around 150 MB. Expanding it you’ll obtain a folder that contain 41 rpm files to install and a folder “desktop-integration” containing rpm files that should install menù items.
Usually this file conflict with LibreOffice (soffice) but now problem seems changed.

Oops, didn’t notice.

1. download OpenOffice from Apache OpenOffice - Official Download
    you’ll get a file similar to
    Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.4_Linux_x86-64_install-rpm_it.tar.gz

2. expanding it I get the folder “it” as you can see in my Dolphin screenshot
    OO_1

3. then in my RPMS folder I have 41 rpm packages and 1 folder
    OO_2

4. and finally in “desktop-integration” folder I see

This is what I get installing OO 4.1.4 in italian.
I see that 4.1.5 is available now but I think installation procedure and file provided don’t change.

The file ‘/etc/mandrake-release’ exists:

$ cat /etc/mandrake-release
OpenMandriva Lx release 3.0 (Einsteinium) for x86_64

This is kind of a guess but I would suggest contacting OpenOffice devs and ask them why this doesn’t register with their packages?

Normally the first place to ask about problems with 3rd party software is not with the distribution your are trying to install it in but to ask the actual developers of the software.

Good idea given that “mandrake-release” exists.
If I’ll solve I’ll let you know.

1 Like

And I don’t mean to imply that OM developers won’t help if they can or should. Just as I read the problem it seemed likely that this is an OpenOffice issue. Maybe. I could be wrong.

I agree.
The bug is probably due to rpm that’s very old and, as I said, don’t worked in previous versions of OpenOffice.

1 Like

mandriva_release is provided by one of the following

$ urpmq --whatprovides mandriva-release
distro-release-common|distro-release-OpenMandriva

However LibreOffice official packages should work finer than a third package.

1 Like

Well these aren’t LibreOffice which are OM packages but OpenOffice which are 3rd party packages.

Edit: Duh, once I again I typed something before I fully absorbed what you meant. I believe you are saying that LO should work better than OO. And I agree. But I don’t really know from experience as I haven’t used OO in a long time.

1 Like

I am running the LO packages from here Download LibreOffice | LibreOffice - Free Office Suite - Fun Project - Fantastic People and they are fine.
If you are feeling courageous then V6.0-rc1 is available here Download LibreOffice | LibreOffice - Free Office Suite - Fun Project - Fantastic People

1 Like

It should but it’s not always true. At work using LO in OpenMandriva sometime part of the page you’re using “disappear” and it come back if you scroll. OO never had this nasty behaviour. I don’t filed a bug because this is not easily reproducible but it happens quite often.
And I can add more: see bug 2154 that affected LO only.
More 2: at present LibreOffice is almost useless because it hang when you try to save documents!

Did you try with:

urpmi openoffice4.1.4-mandriva-menus-4.1.4-9788.noarch.rpm --allow-force

?

Only good that we know that Berni Lomax (Mandrake 2012) 5 Years ago and this Distribution it’s a bit more modern… with lib’s and others…)
My advised is to use with Openmandriva Linux and Libre Office and not a rpmpacket who be compiled with an 5 years old Distribution.

By the way, someone had the Task to contact Virtualbox and other for an helping hand … but he did it not… :\ how ever…
the Mandrake Distribution is older as 5 Years and you should use Libreoffice imho.

best regards
Blacky

Sorry for delay in answer. Here’s the result. Now in menu I’ve all OpenOffice icons.

_ # urpmi openoffice4.1.5-mandriva-menus-4.1.5-9789.noarch.rpm --allow-force
ATTENZIONE: l’opzione --allow-force è in uso. Strani problemi potrebbero verificarsi

SICUREZZA: Il seguente pacchetto NON è firmato (OK ((none))): openoffice4.1.5-mandriva-menus-4.1.5-9789.noarch.rpm
installazione di openoffice4.1.5-mandriva-menus-4.1.5-9789.noarch.rpm
Installazione fallita:
mandrake-release is needed by openoffice4.1.5-mandriva-menus-4.1.5-9789.noarch
error while checking dependencies
Provo l’installazione senza controllare le dipendenze? (s/N) s
In preparazione… ##################################################################################################################################
Installazione fallita:
file /usr/bin/soffice from install of openoffice4.1.5-mandriva-menus-4.1.5-9789.noarch conflicts with file from package libreoffice-common-5.3.3-1.x86_64
Provo l’installazione in modo ancora più forzato (–force)? (s/N) s
In preparazione… ##################################################################################################################################
1/1: openoffice4.1.5-mandriva-menus
##################################################################################################################################

to Blackcrack

Please stop adding nonsense messages.
OpenOffice I’m using is few moths old and Virtualbox has no relation with it.

For a single package installation ou may also use the old rpm command directly. Foe example:

rpm -ivh --nodeps --force --replace-files openoffice4.1.5-mandriva-menus-4.1.5-9789.noarch.rpm

But take into account each time LibreOffice will be updated (version 6.0.1 is now in main repository) you will be notified for a packages conflict if you don’t remove one of them.

I know because already happened. Unfortunately menu items of LO and OO seems in conflicts that I solved manually creating a new menù item for OO.

Perhaps it is better to completely remove LO first before installing OO.
That is what I did in LinuxMint to get things installed without facing any difficulty.
You wanted to get rid of LO anyway (I think).