OpenMandriva should merge with Mageia

Hello everyone, I hope you all had a good Christmas ^.^

As a long time lurker and user of OpenMandriva, I just wanted to say thank you to everyone involved in this project. It has served me well, and given me much enjoyment.

However…I feel it is now time to discuss something that has been weighing on me for a while.

As I’m sure you all know, OpenMandriva has seen better days. It’s a far cry from how it used to be, and It is clear that the community is dwindling, with support of the distro…Well…Stagnating. And it looks like that’s not going to change any time soon. :\

Taking this into consideration, I feel the best possible course of action we can take, is to merge with the highly successful Mageia project. They still retain their Mandrake roots the same as us, but are able to deliver a more polished experience, fix bugs, and develop new features faster than we can ever hope to achieve.

If you really think about it, continuing OpenMandriva is more an effort in duplication than anything else. What exactly is the killer feature compared to competition?..I can’t think of anything.

Now you could say “But we can eventually fix OpenMandriva, and make it better!”, and I would simply ask: Why?

I could understand continuing OpenMandriva if there was simply nothing else like it, but that is not the case, as Mageia and OpenMandriva share the same goals and vision!

It just doesn’t make sense to try and beat Mageia, when we could instead be helping them.

“Are you seriously suggesting we abandon all of the years of work we’ve put into OpenMandriva?!”

Yes, I am.

OpenMandriva had a good run, but all good things come to an end. And this could be the start of a new beginning of a unified, kickass team! Mageia and OpenMandriva devs working side-by-side…With a combined team, the Devs productivity would skyrocket, which in turn would make Mageia even better, which would mean we the users would get the best distro ever!

As far as I can see, it’s a win-win scenario for everyone involved, and could be the start of something beautiful, similar to how LXDE and Razor-QT joined forces, giving us the superb LXQt DE.

Well…That’s all just my 0.02¢ anyway…Thanks for reading, and have a great day. ^.^

1 Like

What if Mageia joins OpenMandriva? I think OpenMandriva is a better name than Mageia, and OMLx colors/artwork/desktop are way prettier too. :smile_cat:

4 Likes

It wouldn’t really make much sense for Mageia to disband and join OpenMandriva, as they’re the bigger distro with better brand recognition, and it would mean re-branding all their tools, creating needless work. Look at it from their point of view, they’ve already got something really successful going on that a lot of people like, why would they suddenly throw it away to join us when we’re the ones that are struggling to stay afloat? If the positions were reversed, would you be OK with OpenMandriva disbanding to join a failing Mageia? :slight_smile:

As for the name, surely that’s not as important as the functionality of the distro itself?

However, I don’t see why we couldn’t bring our colors/icons/wallpapers with us to be integrated into Mageia. It could be an option you could select on install and within the theme menus, like ‘Mageia Style’ and ‘OpenMandrive Style’.

Plus we would be helping them create any future art in a joint effort, bringing the OpenMandriva touch to the project! ^.^

I wouldn’t look at it as the end of OpenMandriva, but the continuation of it into something better than either project could ever be separately. If we can both make good distros on our own, just imagine how epic of a distro we could make with our powers combined! :smiley:

1 Like

@VoiceOfReason
Are you trying to make proselytism here?

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone involved in this project.

Thanks for the thank you.

It has served me well, and given me much enjoyment.

Good to know. Happy for this.

And it looks like that’s not going to change any time soon. :\

Do you have the crystal ball?

share the same goals and vision!

I’m not so sure that’s true. Actually I believe it’s not.

try and beat

Uh?? What??

Who wants to beat anything/anyone?
This is the feeling only you and your distro fans have. Not OMA.
Enemy, fight, beat and the likes, I have read this kind of bad words only written by this people. Never at OMA.

but all good things come to an end.

Please speak for you.
OpenMandriva is alive and kicking.

devs working side-by-side

There are no chains here. Obviously and clearly people who stay and contribute at OpenMandriva today simply want to stay here.
Guess it’s not so hard to understand.
Others already made their choice time ago. Goodbye, and welcome back if they want to rejoin again.

It wouldn’t really make much sense […]

So if it wouldn’t really make much sense for them it should make for us?

If that distro is so great, highly successful, bug-free, new featured, bigger, better branded, blah blah blah, etc. why they should need us (poor, small, dying, bad and dirty) at all?

Other story is if they need our high skilled contributors.

In such a case the proper and only way to get it discussed is that OpenMandriva will receive an official request for help from the bosses there.

Personally, as for me: this will never happen.

Regards,

3 Likes

@VoiceOfReason
First you are making some errors, like “merge” equals to “join”. If you had on mind merge, then it must mean that two entities merges on equal rights, and new entity rises up with new name, new everything.

If you had on mind merge as “join”, then this is an idea far from anything good.

4 Likes

For past 3 months I could not boot OMA 3 in my PC. Because System Crash. I installed the OS coupe of times bust after update System Crash. I am thinking of selecting a new linux distro. If a System crash How can a user work on the system. How can they do work on a Production Environment?

Users or people need a bug free OS. Secure OS. That works with many apps. Users or people must have good learning materials. They like good eye catching polished Linux Distro. Linux Distro must works on Desktops, Laptops, Servers and Tablets.

I gave a Couple of suggestion in the past:

• Create a profitable company. So QAs and People can work to create a bug free OS.
  • Create partnerships with Software Companies, OEMs and Distributors
  • Good Coordination with Mageia, ROSA, OMA and other rpm, urpmi Linux Distros
  • Increase the OMA Community
  • Good High Quality OS and Learning Books and eLearning Courses with Recognition
  • Good Digital Marketing and Marketing Strategy
  • Understand customer needs, requirements and new Technology trends

There are issues in the Kernel, Nvidia Cards still selling around the world and Apps. Apps Crash.

1 Like

Excellent ideas. Perhaps they should be presented to OpenMandriva Council. Also you may be interested in standing for a position there in next election.

I see on Linkedin that you have a great deal of training and experience in computer software. We sure could use someone like you in our development group. Or on our QA-Team.

1 Like

Well if you set this as objectives we would need specific steps how to achieve these goals. As for example not every company is achieving profits just by its mere existence. How would you achive the profits that you are mentioning?

As for Mageia I won’t be joining Mageia.Org. When Mageia started they created a lot of hype around their new distribution and a lot of people jumped ship while Mandriva SA was working on a new release together with ROSA (2011 release). It was them who forked the distribution and split up the community. Do you really expect us to be coming back and beg becoming part of their team so that Anne can mention on what a big team she leads to foster her career? No way! At least for me.

I also think that the hype Mageia has experienced in the past is coming to an end. As for Germany their new releases aren’t mentioned in the media that often anymore.

2 Likes

Looks like people does not like Mageia…

For an example how other Commercial Linux Distros make money… we can do a research. We can think of new Ideas…
The customers are expecting a bug free good Performance OS, eye catching OS with grate stability. They must know how to work in it.

If customers are dissatisfied they will search for new Linux Distro. clock is ticking

1 Like

It boots for others (obviously, since there are people using it) - so we need more details to look at it.
Where’s the bug report? Backtrace? Special settings? Hardware?
It’s impossible to fix a “it crashes” report that is neither reproducable nor has any information on what triggers it.

Users obviously aren’t willing to pay for anything - so how would you go about creating a company that is profitable enough to even hire one part-time person?

Of course this is a good idea - but do you have the right contacts? We don’t, and most of those guys don’t like dealing with non-profits.

That actually exists (at least to some extent). e.g. the effort to get everything to work with OpenSSL 1.1 is shared between OpenMandriva, Mageia and even Fedora in a shared git repository.

As with many of your other points, obviously a good idea, but how? We know that we need to grow the community, but that’s much easier said than done.

I think we have the OS – books and courses don’t write themselves and right now we don’t have the right people to do it, so that goes back to having to find extra contributors.

Again comes back to the same thing – unless we make time by pulling people off working on the OS, who is going to do it? (And it’s not like developers usually make good marketeers…)
We need people to step up and do it.

I think we do – but as usual, we don’t always have the manpower to do everything we think is needed.

2 Likes

BTW
customers users

1 Like

Customer: A person who buys goods or services from a shop or business.

User: A user is a person who uses a computer or network service. Users generally use a system or a software product without the technical expertise required to fully understand it.

1 Like

Agree.
As we are a no-profit association we only have users :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

What distros make money? I can think of 2 possibilities Red Hat and SUSE. Are there any others? Does Canonical make money?

The biggest problem I see on this forum is constantly people expect us to be able to solve problems with little or no information. Users have responsibilities too.

Sometimes I get so frustrated with this I have to back off for a few days. Does no one bother to read this.

2 Likes

We too need this:

2 Likes

Can I triple like this post? Quadruple? :smiling_imp:

1 Like

Yeah, provide some detailed info so we can constantly raise quality of OpenMandriva Lx, in stead of bitching around :stuck_out_tongue:

Rugy,

you should not ever public your own personal pictures :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

best Regards
Blacky

1 Like

A friend haa a very old powerful software which can be installed easily in old Mandriva. But with Mageia, the problems are described below.

Can you please explain why linux mageia has those problems in Mageia ?

WHY MAGEIA IS GIVING PROBLEMS LIKE THIS ?

Choose KDE (GNOME will lock keyboard and mouth)

– search for “gcc”, and click to uninstall “gcc 4.82”

– search for “gcc” again and click “gcc3.3”(if nonexistent, then download other config media and updates )

– search for “tcsh” and install

– search for “ncurses” and click all the “libncurses*” and install

– search for “libx11” and click all “libx11-devel” and install

– install “ncftp” and “gnuplot”(which only Mageia 4 has) the same way

[ yewtaipan@yahoo.com ]