hello

i have to report something strange about iso and EFI
i use isousb ( dd command) to create iso OLX4
boot in bios i see 2 entry
USB and USB partition 2
i use partition 2 ( seems meaning EFI )

all options on boot is EFI , secure disable
on install OLX4 , i get a warning about flags and /boot/efi create

i checked with options offered by calamares on partitions , no flag boot and esp appears

i check after iso OLX4 usb with gparted that return MBR

in this case , calamarès think that starting on MBR USB iso means no EFI ,
so no flag boot / esp appears in this case and cannot be added
also missing gparted to do that in last ressort in this case

i have no error ending install EFI, i checked with inxi , full EFI , so it create /boot/efi and entry on efibootmgr
so it’ ending well here

but if in any case you want /boot/efi and there is no disk with flag /boot or /esp ,
you will have many returns on this kind fails install ( see forums manjaro ) if you really not boot Full UEFI ( legacy or csm activated or any option bios that change status UEFI for something else )

on 2nd point , i can’t tell if /boot/efi can be added on other disk , different from disk install , i cant select this for this reason

3rd point cant install any drivers nvidia 387 or 340 error on doc html (dnfdragora)

We need more information about ISO?
I have tested: OpenMandrivaLx.4.0-rc-plasma.x86_64.iso

This iso file works nice, but be carefull to select GTP disk (IF UEFI) is selected as boot.
UEFI boot most be 500 MB fat16 or fat32.
For me its install bootloader to this disk i have selected.
If you have select dual support of UEFI\BIOS support that can give some issue about bootloader for other system.

About nvidia drivers its still missing it on LX4, so i hope developer add it.

this is OpenMandrivaLx.4.0-rc-plasma.x86_64.iso

there is no inxi on the iso , but as i see in calamares.log no error on install grub EFI its ok after
but if you have only one disk with no flag boot & esp it will not boot …

as i says many come on forums manjaro because they can see 2 ways to boot ( 1srt partition is MBR ( mean no EFI) , 2nd is EFI )
on manjaro screen are different on selection boot

i checked with gparted it retuns mfsdata flag , as there is another boot/efi on another disk ,it can start on openmandriva /boot/efi

So you have more linux distribution installed, yes i think that is a bug, i have issue with ubuntu with other SSD its give ubuntu on bootloader, but boot did no works very good.
So best to only install with one SSD drives at time. So bootloader did not give wrong boot.
I guess its possible manualy to edit with grub customizer but did tryed it yet.

for check under USB install , before launching Calamarès

test -d /sys/firmware/efi & & echo UEFI || echo BIOS

–> check 2 options on USB boot returns UEFI , but calamarès did not see any other /boot/efi disk , and not on disk install selected ( no partitions , only GPT table )

it not offers option flag Boot & ESP --> bug calamares for OMLX4
( calamarès should check test -d /sys/firmware/efi & & echo UEFI || echo BIOS ,
if UEFI only GPT + grub-EFI , if UEFI[Legacy] * , IF BIOS , MBR only *
with flags ( if mixed is not good also , report errors should be useful )

Not sure I’m understanding what you are telling us.

I think how things are labeled in BIOS is dependent on the BIOS. On my desktop it will list USB Flash drives as UEFI <name_of_drive> or just <name_of_drive>. If user is going to do a EFI you must boot the ISO as EFI. If you wish to do MBR boot you must boot the ISO that way. If you are doing UEFI/EFI boot the partitioning must be GPT can’t do this with MBR.

This needs more explanation. Are you using “Erase disk”? “Replace a partition”? “Manual Partitioning”. You must be using EFI or it would not ask about /boot/efi but do you need to create a /boot/efi partition or do you have one existing?

There very well may be a bug here we have missed in a recent change to Calamares configuration. So I think I’m hearing that there is some possible way in partitioning where you get an error about missing boot or esp flags? Could you post screen-shots of how you are partitioning to get this error and another screen-shot of the error? That would be majorly helpful if you could. If not just a little more detail in the “description of the issue” might help me to understand.

FWIW: I was just saying to some other contributors a few days ago that our Release Notes section on EFI boot needs rewriting. What we have now sounds like it was written for something other than the Calamares installer. So I have an incentive to understand what you are telling us. Plus we all have an incentive to fix something if there is a bug.

for reply ,
i boot in UEFI USB partition 2 that appears under gparted as ESP
all option on boot is EFI secure disable
i use a disk sdb that was formatted as GPT , no partition ,
and select manual partitioning to create ( no redo a GPT formatted only add partitions)
/boot/efi and / ( no swap )

i get the warning that /boot/efi has NO flag Boot / ESP ,
i check on update partition , theses 2 flag DO NOT APPEARS
install go to the END , grub EFI install is OK , reboot also and checking by Gparted
only see flag msfdata

also on manual partitioning , i couldn’t change /boot/efi to go on sda , install have to be done on sdb

When you create the /boot/efi partition select the boot flag. The esp will then be automatically set.

and you won’t get that error.

Hint for all users: If you have a problem like this run Calamares (with -d) from Konsole and post the entire output as a .txt file here in your forum post. Like this:

$ pkexec calamares -d

And as example of how powerful screen-shots are for problem description and for showing solutions here is exactly how to run Calamares in debug mode from Konsole:

And here in the Konsole output we see the 300MB fat32 /boot/efi partition being created with flags:

And result: Installation completes with no errors.

Yes this has been tested. A lot.

i have repeated twice same result

1. on start dev/sda ( /boot/efi / and /home manjaro ) boot,esp
    and dev/sdb with GPT base

2. on select /dev/sdb ( and check under sudo calamares -d , not pkexec )
    if i select fat16 or fat32 /boot or /boot/efi NO option FLAG BOOT & ESP appears, all others yes

3. i try to chroot with mnt/boot/efi from sda1 , may be missing some lines directories to get the result ,
    i have /boot/efi/EFI and openmadriva present and missing /boot/efi components , i have copied /boot openmandriva in /boot/ manajro and do a udpate-grub

4. restart fails ( /etc/fstab or need more than grub2-install efi )

you may have others surprise with calamares and EFI

I can reproduce that error message but only if I do something wrong.

Post-edit: That particular error message is there to tell user “You just did something wrong go back and correct it.” And if I do go back and correct what I did then I don’t get the error message.

Post-edit-2: This seems like an important point. Can’t say if you are or are not doing something wrong because I still don’t know exactly what you are doing. So I hope I’m keeping my comments to what I do know. What I know is basically what I can and have done myself.

i have try 3rd time install , same thing appear no boot & esp flag appears
and there is no errors on efivar efibootmgr

so i think that this motherboard ( gigabyte Z170x-UD5 TH ) with last Bios updated , may have save vars flag boot & Esp in other place , that calamares - openmandriva can’t see

but it works after i can boot , calamares add msftdata for /boot/efi and i can boot with the bios

sudo parted -l

Modèle: ATA Crucial_CT500MX2 (scsi)
Disque /dev/sda : 500GB
Taille des secteurs (logiques/physiques): 512B/4096B
Table de partitions : gpt
Disk Flags: 

Numéro  Début   Fin     Taille  Système de fichiers  Nom        Fanions
 1      1049kB  211MB   210MB   fat32                /boot/efi  démarrage, esp
 2      211MB   26,4GB  26,2GB  ext4                 /
 3      26,4GB  500GB   474GB   ext4                 /home

Disque /dev/sdb : 500GB
Disk Flags: 

Numéro  Début   Fin     Taille  Système de fichiers  Nom  Fanions
 2      1049kB  53,5MB  52,4MB  fat32                     msftdata
 1      53,5MB  500GB   500GB   ext4

And then you post a “sudo parted -l” that shows exactly where they are:

Disque /dev/sda : 500GB
Disk Flags: 

Numéro  Début   Fin     Taille  Système de fichiers  Nom        Fanions
 1      1049kB  211MB   210MB   fat32                /boot/efi  démarrage, esp

See this and this. Or use internet search to find out more.

No you really can’t. There can only be one ESP and that’s in the spec. You can have multiple partitions each assigned as /boot for a different OS, but there can only be one ESP which is used by the firmware to store its settings, etc.

Post-edit: So the problem is you already have a /boot/efi partition flagged as esp which fits everything I said above. So just select that partition and set the mount point as /boot/efi and don’t format it.

with calamares
we can just sect one drive sdb ,
i cant tell to use /boot/efi from sda

i have also try with only / , adding /boot/efi from sda non success

and not forget
having only one flag /boot/efi flags is a limitation of Bios

on any apple disks all have a boot/efi in order to be launched in case

on sda there is no entry for openmandriva in this case

Is the “sudo parted -l” listed above taken from OpenMandriva?

no , come from manjaro , parted is not installed on opendmandriva

You’re losing me here. This is from OpenMandriva Lx 4.0 installed from RC ISO:

$ sudo parted -l
[sudo] password for ben79: 
Model: ATA WDC WD1002FAEX-0 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 1000GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt
Disk Flags: 

Number  Start   End     Size   File system  Name  Flags
 1      1049kB  500GB   500GB  ext4
 2      500GB   1000GB  500GB  ext4

Model: ATA Crucial_CT500MX2 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdb: 500GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
Partition Table: gpt
Disk Flags: 

Number  Start   End     Size    File system     Name  Flags
 1      17.4kB  538MB   538MB   fat32                 boot, esp
 2      538MB   5907MB  5369MB  linux-swap(v1)        swap
 3      5907MB  27.4GB  21.5GB  ext4
 4      27.4GB  38.1GB  10.7GB  ext4
 5      38.1GB  59.6GB  21.5GB  ext4
 6      59.6GB  70.3GB  10.7GB  ext4
 7      70.3GB  91.8GB  21.5GB  ext4
 8      91.8GB  103GB   10.7GB  ext4
 9      103GB   124GB   21.5GB  ext4
10      124GB   135GB   10.7GB  ext4
11      135GB   156GB   21.5GB  ext4
12      156GB   167GB   10.7GB  ext4
13      167GB   188GB   21.5GB  ext4
14      188GB   199GB   10.7GB  ext4
15      199GB   333GB   134GB   ext4

I did not install parted which means it is a system package. So it is part of a default install. So run that on your OpenMandriva installation and post the entire output including the command you used here.

If you really want to solve this problem let’s start over. Mount the ‘Live’ ISO and simply run:

$ sudo parted -l

and post the output here. That will tell us if the ISO system is recognizing all drives or not. You might also run:

$ sudo os-prober

to see what other operating systems the ISO system “sees”. And post that here also.

Post-edit: In retrospect we or I should have started with “Is OpenMandriva Lx 4 seeing all drives?” and then “If it is not, why not?”. But the first thing to establish from a problem solving perspective is simply are all drives recognized or not.

Post-edit-2: This above information applies to any user with a problem with a drive not being recognized or another operating system not being recognized. Any user is well advised to post screen-shots. Screen-shots eliminate a lot of confusion and misinformation.

Then the next step is to run the Calamares installer from Konsole so we can see logs. Then copy and paste the entire Konsole output including the command you used to a .txt file and attach that file here. To run Calamares in Konsole you do this ( the -d is for debug):

$ pkexec calamares -d

Then in the logs you would look for this:

That will tell for sure whether Calamares is or is not recognizing all drives it should. And post sceen-shots.

The above I am doing from ‘Live’ ISO myself.

Post-edit: Any user having any problems with Calamares installer is advised to run Calamares as shown above and put the entire Konsole output including the command you used in a .txt file and attach that to your forum post. Any user is well advised to post screen-shots. Screen-shots eliminate a lot of confusion and misinformation.

you should check more often