OMA 4.2 will not install on System76 Kudu 3

Hello,

• OpenMandriva Lx version:
    4.2 Rock

• Desktop environment (KDE, LXQT…):
    KDE

• Description of the issue (screenshots if relevant):
    I go through the entire installation process, and at the end get an Installation Failed message

• Relevant informations (hardware involved, software version, logs or output…):
    System76 Kudu 3, i7, 16 Gb RAM, 1 Tb SSD Silicon Power.

Hello.
@zaivala Can you please report the issue against OMLx 4.3 (currently RC) ?
I’m not sure developers are going to fix issues in 4.2 given upcoming new stable release.

recheck info in your UEFI

• disable secure boot
  • disable fastboot
  • disks on AHCI
  • no legacy
  • no CSM
  • UEFI only or others ( not windows )

you should see
UEFI < USB vendor name > < patrition 1 > → boot in EFI

before launch install ,
open a terminal and check

sudo dnf install inxi
inxi  -Mxa ( check for UEFI only , not UEFI[legacy] or Bios )
test -d /sys/firmware/efi && echo efi || echo bios

Fastboot and Secure Boot are disabled. This is a Linux-first machine, originally shipped with Ubuntu. I have only Linux distros installed on it, there are 5 distro partitions and a 6th I’m using as my Timeshift drive.

I don’t know how to install to a system which is not itself installed. Maybe my brain is not working right, I do have a medical condition which is affecting me in various ways. Would it help to run inxi on one of the distros which is working?

zaivala@zaivala-Kudu:~$ sudo inxi -Mxa
[sudo] password for zaivala:
Machine:
  Type: Laptop System: System76 product: Kudu v: kudu3 serial: N/A Chassis:
  type: 10 serial: N/A
  Mobo: System76 model: Kudu v: kudu3 serial: N/A UEFI: American Megatrends
  v: 1.05.02RSA3-1 date: 09/09/2016
zaivala@zaivala-Kudu:~$ test -d /sys/firmware/efi && echo efi || echo bios
efi

Yes. As long as it is the same computer. Or you could simply boot the ISO to Live environment and open Konsole and run the command there.

Edit: OK, either I’m slow or I just missed something as @zaivala has already posted this…

I was just trying to speed it up a bit. IF inxi just needed to be run on the same computer, then I did so. Hope it helps understand things.

I think it’s odd that OMA42 will not install on a 2016 Linux-based laptop with an i7 but it installs and runs fine on my desktop, a 2010 Z800 Workstation with dual quad-core Xeon processors.

OK, a multi-boot computer with other Linux operating systems

And this is clearly a UEFI computer not Legacy (or BIOS) boot.

When you use Calamares installer at partitioning you want to use “Manual Partitioning”. When you open the “Manual Partitioning” window you locate the /boot/efi partition and select the mount point /boot/efi. You do not need to format this partition.

Not sure but I doubt the problem is with you hardware.

@zaivala there is this article that describes what user can do if they encounter problems installing OM Lx. The most important part of that is this:

For more technical errors developers will want the installation log. This is basically the terminal output of running the installer manually from Konsole (KDE terminal app). This is an easy one step command. Open Konsole and run this:

$ pkexec calamares -d | tee /home/live/calamares-installation-log.txt

Then follow all the installation steps as you normally do until process either completes or errors out. This will create the file ‘calamares-installation.log.txt’ which one can easily attach to their bug report (or forum post). Remember you are in a ‘Live’ environment which won’t save that file so you can temporarily store the data to an image hosting service for screen shots and a pastebin or similar service for code/terminal output. Or you can transfer the files and screen shots to a flash drive or DVD/CD depending on your set up. You can also send files and screen shots in a e-mail.

And if you combine your ‘calamares-installation.log.txt’ with screen shots you will make it much easier for a knowledgeable contributor or a developer to help resolve your issue.

1 Like

At this point, I would have to repeat the installation. I’m not sure how I look at a log when I can’t log into the system. I will leave this for another time.