nVidia proprietary driver packages for OM Lx 4.2 and Rolling

Today OM upgraded OM nVidia proprietary driver packages with the goal of getting packages that work with most recent kernel versions for Lx 4.2 and Rolling. However I do not have nvidia hardware so I can not test if the packages work, I can test that they will install. And usually if a package willl build and install it will work. So I know the packages will install but we need you to tell us if they work. The Lx 4.2 packages install and should work with kernel v. 5.11.12. The Rolling packages install and should work with kernel v. 5.12.7. The packages are available for x86_64 and znver1 systems only.

The real credit for these packages should go to the person that did the most work developing these for OpenMandriva @Colin (aka: itchka). Thanks @Colin.

Basically we have nVidia “latest features” version (465.27) and one legacy version available (390.143).

Remember that nVidia propreitary driver packages are hardware specific, you must match the correct driver with your hardware. The nVidia propreitary driver packages are also kernel specific. This means the nvidia package you install will work with one kernel version only. New kernel means you’ll need a new driver package to match that kernel.

To install the packages first you need the non-free repos enabled then:

Install “latest features” version (465.27):

$ sudo dnf --refresh install nvidia

Or if you use clang kernel:

$ sudo dnf --refresh install nvidia nvidia-kernel-modules-desktop-clang

Install the legacy version (390.143):

$ sudo dnf --refresh install nvidia-390

Or if you use clang kernel:

$ sudo dnf --refresh install nvidia-390 nvidia-390-kernel-modules-desktop-clang

Then reboot your system.

Please let us know if the drivers do or do not work. If they do not work please be descriptive about what the issue is.

To enable non-free repository:

is kernel-znver1 a clang kernel ?

Not sure where that comes from? See this post.

so testing in wayland + kernel znver1 + nvidia 465xx ( Geforce970 video card) is ko
idem if i added clang
i lost gui after login ( blocked ) , no possibility to get tty ( Ctrrl+Alt+Fn do not work )

i have checked in console mode after , i see load driver nvidia red after nvidia-modeset , but nothing more in journalctl

Did you install nvidia-kernel-modules-desktop-clang?

There are specific modules packages for each kernel version:

nvidia-kernel-modules-desktop (For kernel-release-desktop)
nvidia-kernel-modules-desktop-clang (For kernel-release-desktop-clang)

Obviously they have to match. And package version numbers have to match.

Newer nVidia 470.57 packages available in testing repos as described here.

i have this version

sudo dnf search nvidia  
Dernière vérification de l’expiration des métadonnées effectuée il y a 0:00:14 le sam. 24 juil. 2021 07:49:22.
===================================================================================================================== Nom & Résumé correspond à : nvidia =====================================================================================================================
nvidia.znver1 : Binary-only driver for nvidia graphics chips
nvidia-32bit.znver1 : Binary-only 32-bit driver for nvidia graphics chips
nvidia-390.znver1 : Binary-only driver for nvidia graphics chips
nvidia-390-32bit.znver1 : Binary-only 32-bit driver for nvidia graphics chips
nvidia-390-kernel-modules-desktop.znver1 : Kernel modules needed by the binary-only nvidia driver
nvidia-390-kernel-modules-desktop-clang.znver1 : Kernel modules needed by the binary-only nvidia driver
nvidia-390-kernel-modules-server.znver1 : Kernel modules needed by the binary-only nvidia driver
nvidia-390-kernel-modules-server-clang.znver1 : Kernel modules needed by the binary-only nvidia driver
nvidia-440.znver1 : Binary-only driver for nvidia graphics chips
nvidia-440-32bit.znver1 : Binary-only 32-bit driver for nvidia graphics chips
nvidia-440-kernel-modules-desktop.znver1 : Kernel modules needed by the binary-only nvidia driver
nvidia-440-kernel-modules-server.znver1 : Kernel modules needed by the binary-only nvidia driver
nvidia-kernel-modules-desktop.znver1 : Kernel modules needed by the binary-only nvidia driver
nvidia-kernel-modules-desktop-clang.znver1 : Kernel modules needed by the binary-only nvidia driver
nvidia-kernel-modules-server.znver1 : Kernel modules needed by the binary-only nvidia driver
nvidia-kernel-modules-server-clang.znver1 : Kernel modules needed by the binary-only nvidia driver
========================================================================================================================= Nom correspond à : nvidia ==========================================================================================================================
lib64nvidia-egl-wayland-devel.znver1 : Wayland EGL External Platform library development package
lib64nvidia-egl-wayland1.znver1 : Wayland EGL External Platform library
======================================================================================================================== Résumé correspond à : nvidia ========================================================================================================================
ffnvcodec-headers.znver1 : FFmpeg version of headers required to interface with Nvidia codec APIs (NVENC)
gwe.noarch : GreenWithEnvy ia a system utility designed to provide information of NVIDIA card.

it should be 465 or 470 series not 440 series ( in rolling znver1 )

The nvidia-440 packages is a separate, older, and possibly obsolete package. I do not know why it is still in repositories. If you or any other user want an answer to that ask a developer on IRC. Most likely only @Colin (itchka on IRC) can answer this.

The nvidia package in “regular” non-free repos should install v. 465. The nvidia package in non-free/testing repos should install 470 package. And FWIW I have tested that this is what gets installed. I can test whether these packages install and what gets installed. I can not test whether the actual driver works because I do not have the hardware. The current scheme is that the nvidia package will contain the latest nVidia package OM has. Also we will attempt to have the most recent “legacy” nvidia package currently nvidia-390.

So at some point we will move the 470 package to “regular” non-free repos. This should happen approximately Tue. 2021-7-27. Unless we get some negative feedback on the nvidia (470) before then.