Nvidia drivers and OM Lx 4?

My question is do any users/testers of OM Lx4 have drivers from nvidia working?

itry with dnfdragora or command dnf ( started with nouveau )
i have added non free and i686 depot and restricted

i see 3 versions 304 , 340 or 387
each time i select one version error on 387 doc html , and proposal rpm -Va returns

( video card is gtx970 )

I get

ERROR: The Nouveau kernel driver is currently in use by your system.  This driver is incompatible with the NVIDIA driver, and must be
       disabled before proceeding.  Please consult the NVIDIA driver README and your Linux distribution's documentation for details on
       how to correctly disable the Nouveau kernel driver.

WARNING: One or more modprobe configuration files to disable Nouveau are already present at:
         /usr/lib/modprobe.d/nvidia-installer-disable-nouveau.conf, /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia-installer-disable-nouveau.conf.  Please be
         sure you have rebooted your system since these files were written.  If you have rebooted, then Nouveau may be enabled for other
         reasons, such as being included in the system initial ramdisk or in your X configuration file.  Please consult the NVIDIA
         driver README and your Linux distribution's documentation for details on how to correctly disable the Nouveau kernel driver.

ERROR: Installation has failed.  Please see the file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' for details.  You may find suggestions on fixing
       installation problems in the README available on the Linux driver download page at www.nvidia.com.

run .run files with it. Not much documentation how to dissable

file
 /usr/lib/modprobe.d/nvidia-installer-disable-nouveau.conf,

content:
# generated by nvidia-installer
blacklist nouveau
options nouveau modeset=0

That is not what I’m asking about. I am asking about nvidia drivers from:

The drivers in non-free repo don’t work for cooker or Lx 4, we have told people not to use them to try the drivers from nvidia web site. OpenMandriva has not built any nvidia drivers for cooker or OM Lx 4. None. Whatever is in non-free repo is there for Lx 3 and should not be used in Cooker or Lx 4. nvidia drivers are kernel specific, meaning they have to be built for specific kernel versions.

So to explain further look at the dates on the packages here:

http://abf-downloads.openmandriva.org/cooker/repository/x86_64/non-free/release/

18-Jan-2018 11:58
10-Mar-2016
14-Apr-2017

So the most recent nvidia driver package there is 16 months ago. The kernel version (5.1.3) we are using is from this month so there is zero chance those drivers will work.

Those drivers most likely do work in Lx 3 if you have an old enough and matching kernel version.

If you followed that instruction it would have led you to:

http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/430.14/README/index.html

Which I suspect is enough to keep you busy for a while.

I will ask developers if there are any “special” settings to disable nouveau in OpenMandriva and if there needs to be a change to modesetting in kernel command parameters.

Post-edit: For disabling nouveau: Chapter 8. Common Problems

Also there is nothing more valuable or illuminating than reading the log when you have any kind of failure.

I can’t do step by step help for nvidia because I don’t have the hardware.

it’s not a simple script to do to have theses drivers nvidia
1 there is 3 drivers 304 , 340 , and latest is 418 ( manjaro )
2 need to have a blacklist
blacklist nouveau
blacklist ttm
blacklist drm_kms_helper
blacklist drm

3 need change xx-gpu-config in X11 for nvidia , you cannot get nvidia-settings before drivers are loaded and fully recognize for the kernel ( need special id kernel with nvidia drivers ) on
name product , Id PCI model , any wrong name or id will be load and unload driver nvidia ( fail )

4 and now the troubles arrives
fort latest desktop video cards ( 1 or 2 months ) it will work without any trouble , some models 10xxti may nor work ( based on Id pci video vendor product video card inside the drivers nvidia)

for series 340 is for laptops with modesetting and previous gen models cards ,
and for serie 304 what can be use for fermi

the 2 olders videos driver are NOT updated in time , only few maintain , and any change in kernel serie for ABI & Qt or Xorg means it can breaks

very older cards more than 5 to 7 years may required only nouveau , change fo this cases starts this beginning year with Xorg minor version and olders 6xx Geforce versions which are not Femi

and i dont speak about fallback , and recognize others drivers in order to be ok at end …

5 how to change drivers nouveau to drivers nvidia
you will have to go in TTY in order to unload all nouveau drivers , add blacklist nouveau drivers and adding drivers nvidia with config for X11 matching with kernel signed , if anything is wrong here , you have no message error for get this all works and reboot

Thanks but I already know that. We’ve been told what’s wrong plenty of times. I’m trying to find someone that knows how to do this correctly so we can explain it to other users. One reason why is that historically OM has never built nvidia drivers for Cooker and I don’t see that changing.

I just checked in Lx 3 and there the nvidia drivers are more up to date with the most recent builds being Nov. 26, 2018. That is more recent than what is in cooker repo but that is still considerably out of date.

But can you help me with this?

sudo sh ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-430.09.run -add-this-kernel
Verifying archive integrity... OK
Uncompressing NVIDIA Accelerated Graphics Driver for Linux-x86_64 430.09

Welcome to the NVIDIA Software Installer for Unix/Linux

Detected 16 CPUs online; setting concurrency level to 16.
Performing CC sanity check with CC="/usr/bin/cc".
Kernel source path: '/lib/modules/5.1.3-desktop-1omv4000/source'
Kernel output path: '/lib/modules/5.1.3-desktop-1omv4000/build'
Copying kernel module sources to temporary directory.
Performing Compiler check.
Performing Dom0 check.
Performing Xen check.
Performing PREEMPT_RT check.
Performing vgpu_kvm check.
Cleaning kernel module build directory.
Building kernel modules
  : [##############################] 100%

ERROR: An error occurred while performing the step: "Building kernel modules". See /var/log/nvidia-installer.log for details.

The command `cd /tmp/nvidia-3816; /usr/bin/make -k -j16  NV_EXCLUDE_KERNEL_MODULES=""
SYSSRC="/lib/modules/5.1.3-desktop-1omv4000/source" SYSOUT="/lib/modules/5.1.3-desktop-1omv4000/build"` failed with the following
output:

make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/src/linux-5.1.3-desktop-1omv4000'
make[2]: Entering directory '/usr/src/linux-5.1.3-desktop-1omv4000'
SYMLINK /tmp/nvidia-3816/nvidia/nv-kernel.o
SYMLINK /tmp/nvidia-3816/nvidia-modeset/nv-modeset-kernel.o

Compiler version check failed:

The major and minor number of the compiler used to
compile the kernel:

gcc version 9.1.0 20190503 (OpenMandriva) (GCC)

does not match the compiler used here:

clang version 8.0.1 (branches/release_80)
Target: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
Thread model: posix
InstalledDir: /usr/bin

It is recommended to set the CC environment variable
to the compiler that was used to compile the kernel.

The compiler version check can be disabled by setting
the IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH environment variable to "1".
However, mixing compiler versions between the kernel
and kernel modules can result in subtle bugs that are
difficult to diagnose.

*** Failed CC version check. Bailing out! ***

make[3]: *** [/tmp/nvidia-3816/Kbuild:181: cc_version_check] Error 1
make[3]: Target '__build' not remade because of errors.
make[2]: *** [/usr/src/linux-5.1.3-desktop-1omv4000/Makefile:1575: _module_/tmp/nvidia-3816] Error 2
make[2]: Target 'modules' not remade because of errors.
make[2]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-5.1.3-desktop-1omv4000'
make[1]: *** [Makefile:169: sub-make] Error 2
make[1]: Target 'modules' not remade because of errors.
make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-5.1.3-desktop-1omv4000'
make: *** [Makefile:79: modules] Error 2
Checking to see whether the nvidia kernel module was successfully built
  : [##############################] 100%

ERROR: An error occurred while performing the step: "Checking to see whether the nvidia kernel module was successfully built". See
       /var/log/nvidia-installer.log for details.

The command `cd /tmp/nvidia-3816; /usr/bin/make -k -j16 NV_KERNEL_MODULES="nvidia" NV_EXCLUDE_KERNEL_MODULES=""
SYSSRC="/lib/modules/5.1.3-desktop-1omv4000/source" SYSOUT="/lib/modules/5.1.3-desktop-1omv4000/build"` failed with the following
output:

make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/src/linux-5.1.3-desktop-1omv4000'
make[2]: Entering directory '/usr/src/linux-5.1.3-desktop-1omv4000'

Compiler version check failed:

The major and minor number of the compiler used to
compile the kernel:

gcc version 9.1.0 20190503 (OpenMandriva) (GCC)

does not match the compiler used here:

clang version 8.0.1 (branches/release_80)
Target: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
Thread model: posix
InstalledDir: /usr/bin

It is recommended to set the CC environment variable
to the compiler that was used to compile the kernel.

The compiler version check can be disabled by setting
the IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH environment variable to "1".
However, mixing compiler versions between the kernel
and kernel modules can result in subtle bugs that are
difficult to diagnose.

*** Failed CC version check. Bailing out! ***

make[3]: *** [/tmp/nvidia-3816/Kbuild:181: cc_version_check] Error 1
make[3]: Target '__build' not remade because of errors.
make[2]: *** [/usr/src/linux-5.1.3-desktop-1omv4000/Makefile:1575: _module_/tmp/nvidia-3816] Error 2
make[2]: Target 'modules' not remade because of errors.
make[2]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-5.1.3-desktop-1omv4000'
make[1]: *** [Makefile:169: sub-make] Error 2
make[1]: Target 'modules' not remade because of errors.
make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-5.1.3-desktop-1omv4000'
make: *** [Makefile:79: modules] Error 2

ERROR: The nvidia kernel module was not created.

ERROR: Unable to add a precompiled kernel interface for the running kernel.

Note: No guarantee this will work because I can’t test this myself. But maybe. Please let me know either way.

First do you have kernel devel installed? If you are using kernel-release-desktop you need to have installed kernel-release-desktop-devel. Also I think you need dkms installed.

$ sudo dnf install kernel-release-headers kernel-release-desktop-devel dkms

The version for kernel-release-desktop-devel must match the kernel you are using. Check by running"

$ rpm -qa | grep kernel-release-desktop

Then maybe this will work:

$ sudo CC=gcc-9.1 sh ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-430.09.run

Post-edit: Just added dkms to install list. And removed -add-this-kernel.

Post-edit-2: We keep trying things until we get this to work. What I want is to end up with a “How To” for this.

:monkey:

Still get:

Last metadata expiration check: 0:32:54 ago on Thu 23 May 2019 11:16:26 PM CEST.
Package kernel-release-headers-1:5.1.3-1.x86_64 is already installed.
Package kernel-release-desktop-devel-5.1.0-1.x86_64 is already installed.
Package kernel-release-desktop-devel-5.1.1-1.x86_64 is already installed.
Package kernel-release-desktop-devel-5.1.3-1.x86_64 is already installed.
Package dkms-2.6.1-7.noarch is already installed.
Dependencies resolved.
Nothing to do.

[larsmartin@PC2 ~]$ rpm -qa | grep kernel-release-desktop
kernel-release-desktop-devel-5.1.0-1.x86_64
kernel-release-desktop-5.1.3-1.x86_64
kernel-release-desktop-devel-5.1.1-1.x86_64
kernel-release-desktop-5.1.0-1.x86_64
kernel-release-desktop-devel-5.1.3-1.x86_64
kernel-release-desktop-5.1.1-1.x86_64

[larsmartin@PC2 ~]$ cd /home/larsmartin/Nedlastinger
[larsmartin@PC2 Nedlastinger]$ sudo CC=gcc-9.1 sh ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-430.09.run
Verifying archive integrity... OK
Uncompressing NVIDIA Accelerated Graphics Driver for Linux-x86_64 430.09

Welcome to the NVIDIA Software Installer for Unix/Linux

Installing NVIDIA driver version 430.09.

ERROR: The Nouveau kernel driver is currently in use by your system.  This driver is incompatible with the NVIDIA driver, and must be
       disabled before proceeding.  Please consult the NVIDIA driver README and your Linux distribution's documentation for details on

WARNING: One or more modprobe configuration files to disable Nouveau are already present at:
         /usr/lib/modprobe.d/nvidia-installer-disable-nouveau.conf, /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia-installer-disable-nouveau.conf.  Please be
         sure you have rebooted your system since these files were written.  If you have rebooted, then Nouveau may be enabled for other
         reasons, such as being included in the system initial ramdisk or in your X configuration file.  Please consult the NVIDIA
         driver README and your Linux distribution's documentation for details on how to correctly disable the Nouveau kernel driver.

ERROR: Installation has failed.  Please see the file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' for details.  You may find suggestions on fixing
       installation problems in the README available on the Linux driver download page at www.nvidia.com.

sudo dnf install dkms
Last metadata expiration check: 0:38:57 ago on Thu 23 May 2019 11:16:26 PM CEST.
Package dkms-2.6.1-7.noarch is already installed.
Dependencies resolved.
Nothing to do.

Um, so what do you want me to do? Read the error messages for you? You can’t install nvidia drivers if your system is using nouveau. Read the documentation.

Its better if i get description what i need to do, because this guide is not the easy part.
I did not think everthing that is needed to get it to works, or i think i should wait to get guide so i did not messing this system to give xorg boot failed.

But LX4.0 before its use XFDRAKE to set gpu.
I did not know what LX4.0 will use?
so YouTube

May i need blacklist on grub2?
xorg.blacklist=

you should check

grep -r "blacklist\|install\|options" /etc/modprobe.d/ /etc/modules-load.d/ /usr/lib/modprobe.d/

and add blacklist nouveau in /etc/modprode.d/
*** be very careful , it will stops nouveau on GUI login ***
if you do that , you will be in TTY only !

the script nvidia will check all component nouveau ( drivers , files ) and do not ending until you have removed them , also Xorg drivers nouveau

I still need help, its look that is passed but still get:

Installing NVIDIA driver version 430.09.

And it did not want to boot longer, because nouveau drivers is dissable.
I use NVIDIA DRIVERS Linux x64 (AMD64/EM64T) Display Driver

ERROR: The Nouveau kernel driver is currently in use by your system.

One of those statements is incorrect. And as always read the:

Please consult the NVIDIA driver README and your Linux distribution's documentation for details on how to correctly disable the Nouveau kernel driver.

I’ve already asked our developers and as far as anyone knows the instructions in the README are accurate for OM. As I remember it installing the drivers from nvidia isn’t hard once you figure out what mistakes you are making.

If you continue to have problems check here to see if your problem is already discussed if not then ask them.

Attempt to just state facts:

@Colin is attempting to build nvidia driver package for OM Lx 4 but so far there are problems.

If you look in OM repositories you will see that last time nvidia drivers were built was Nov. 2018.

Now the following is my opinion not fact.

Possible conclusion: If one owns nVidia hardware and wishes to use OM Lx 4.0 first try using nouveau. If this works for you great, it is open source software and OM can support that.

If nouveau does not work for you it would seem to be a wise use of your time to learn how to install the drivers from nvidia. Based on past history there is one OM developer that will try to make some nvidia drivers available. Also based on past history don’t expect that these will always be up to date.

Just for context. Opinion from the inventor of Linux.

so in order to really understand

• nvidia driver are blocked on version december 2018
    that means * NO NEW CARDs NVIDIA * will be recognize ( as new card march 2019 as example )
  • for laptops is worse , avoid bumblebee state & hybrid , prefers optimus-switch ( by videos cards & logout )
    Call for testing: optimus-switch - Manjaro Development - Manjaro Linux Forum
  • Manjaro has tried to stay on year 2015 -2016 with more stable videos cards , but you may still have
    – bug with Xorgs , or Mesa or OpenGL or ABI Kernel ( required by Qt5 ) , in this case it cant be always solved
  • no nvidia will means no games from Wine ( or any like Wine ) & Steam

so are you sure that have any other video card in case of Nvidia ?

nvidia drivers check always

• name video cards , pci id vendor and id product
    if one is missing , the driver nvidia will not be loaded

What are you talking about? Blocked by whom?

The way you write your post it seems to imply that nvidia cards are blocked by OpenMandriva or something like that. If so that is not correct at all.

Edit: I’m not sure what @stephane meant but there are no graphics cards blocked by OpenMandriva. Another-edit: And I’m aware that I may be misunderstanding what is written. Maybe I should say I think it most likely that I’m misunderstanding what was written.