M$ fonts for OM Lx

Hello,

• OpenMandriva Lx version:

Perhaps all

• Desktop environment (KDE, LXQT…):

Perhaps all

• Description of the issue (screenshots if relevant):

If user believes they have some need or want for M$ fonts.

• Relevant informations (hardware involved, software version, logs or output…):

Edited 2020-06-10 to add required packages: This seems to work. I’ve done in Lx 4.1. First be sure curl, cabextract, and fontconfig are installed.

$ sudo dnf install curl cabextract fontconfig

They also list xorg-x11-font-utils as a requires but OM does not have that so I installed this with ‘rpm -ihv --nodeps’.

$ sudo rpm -ihv --nodeps https://sourceforge.net/projects/mscorefonts2/files/rpms/msttcore-fonts-installer-2.6-1.noarch.rpm/download

Post-edit: Please do remember this is 3rd party software not OM software. Anytime a user installs 3rd party software this becomes the users responsibility. As such OM is not responsible for any consequences of installing this or any 3rd party software. Does not mean we won’t help with issues if we can just that it is not our code so we are limited as to what we can do.

Report on my test in OMLx 4.1:
With this command the process did stuck after a while, console had to be closed by forcing closing and it left an ‘rpm’ instance running preventing the normal user to logout the desktop or poweroff the system.

Worked OK here. Be sure curl, cabextract, and fontconfig are installed. They also list xorg-x11-font-utils as a requires but OM does not have that so I installed this with ‘rpm -ihv --nodeps’. Edited first post to include the requires.

This is an installer package so it has to download each font from internet then install each one to system so it does take a bit of time and there is a point where it will appear stuck but it is actually “extracting fonts from PowerPointViewer.exe directly into /usr/share/fonts/msttcore”. This is the entire output on a notebook computer here of this install: mscorefonts-installer.txt (10.2 KB)

Also I do not know what consequences there may be to doing this without the xorg-x11-font-utils.

$ rpm -qa|grep curl
python-pycurl-7.43.0.3-2.x86_64
curl-7.68.0-1.x86_64
lib64curl4-7.68.0-1.x86_64

$ rpm -qa|grep cabextract
cabextract-1.9.1-1.x86_64

$ rpm -qa|grep fontconfig
lib64fontconfig1-2.13.1-5.x86_64
fontconfig-2.13.1-5.x86_64

Yep IIRC it got stuck at the line:
extracting fonts from PowerPointViewer.exe directly into /usr/share/fonts/msttcore

however I believe some hours were enough to officially declare the process ‘stuck’ :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Well then we can say it did not work well for you and thus may not work well for everyone. So users beware.

This should be obvious but whenever user installs something with --nodeps there could be problems usually whatever you are tying to install simply does not work.

1 Like

More info: OMLx 4.1 2020.05 live mode

[live@localhost ~]$ rpm -qa|grep fontconfig
lib64fontconfig1-2.13.1-5.x86_64
fontconfig-2.13.1-5.x86_64
[live@localhost ~]$ rpm -qa|grep cabextract
cabextract-1.9.1-1.x86_64
[live@localhost ~]$ rpm -qa|grep curl
python-pycurl-7.43.0.3-2.x86_64
curl-7.68.0-1.x86_64
lib64curl4-7.68.0-1.x86_64
[live@localhost ~]$

I have downloaded the .rpm file from SourceForge, then installed.
Console output (success)
msttcore-fonts_output.txt (8,6 KB)