LXQt Rolling

Ben,

Thanks for the response. It seems I am not doing anything wrong this time, which is good. And I really appreciated your telling me how to update/upgrade Rolling.

I’m rather certain I picked all the right repos for updating, and look forward to updates.

My only complaint is that you moved my message to a closed string, so I couldn’t reply… hence this message.

I think I’m going to give 4.3 Rock Plasma a try again. I’ll keep the LXQt Rolling so long as I can keep it working. I hjust might have to report on it in next month’s Distrohoppers’ Digest (already made mention of it in this week’s Full Circle Weekly News).

I’ll keep showing up every few months until I can get some version to work for me the way I want it to. Then my posts will be more frequent… I did this with Bodhi, and eventually it got really good and I now donate to the distro. Since Mandrake was my first distro, I’m not going to give up, but I might let it go for a few months.

Moss

My Apologies. And that was a mistake on my part. I did not even notice the thread was closed.

I am moving your original messages here below this post.

I have installed Rolling LXQt. Installation was smooth as can be.

On boot, I get a message that my Screenshot program is way out of date, but I can’t find where to update it. In fact, I haven’t gotten any updates in 24 hours, and sudo dnf upgrade says nothing to do.

In fact, Discover says it can’t update, and is not connected to the internet (which it is – I used dnfdragora to install flatpak).

I selected all the 64-bit repos for this distro flavor (not source and not dev).

Moss

Hello, good to hear from you! And many thanks for the feedback, this is just what we need.

Glad the installation went smoothly.

The LXQt isos are a very new effort after not building them for a while. The Alpha part is the LXQt desktop. Obviously the system and tool-chain packages for Rock and Rolling have been in use for some time and have been stable.

I will endeavor to pass your findings along to developers.

For repos the most important thing is that if you use Rolling all the OM repos should say rolling. Likewise if you use Rock all repos should say rock. (It is easy to enable/disable repos using the Software Repository Selector.)

Rock example:

$ dnf repolist
repo id                                                                                         repo name
rock-updates-x86_64                                                                             OpenMandriva Rock - x86_64 - Updates
rock-updates-x86_64-restricted                                                                  OpenMandriva Rock - Restricted - x86_64 - Updates
rock-updates-x86_64-unsupported                                                                 OpenMandriva Rock - Unsupported - x86_64 - Updates
rock-x86_64                                                                                     OpenMandriva Rock - x86_64
rock-x86_64-restricted                                                                          OpenMandriva Rock - Restricted - x86_64
rock-x86_64-unsupported                                                                         OpenMandriva Rock - Unsupported - x86_64

Rolling example:

$ dnf repolist
repo id                                                                                          repo name
rolling-x86_64                                                                                   OpenMandriva Rolling - x86_64
rolling-x86_64-restricted                                                                        OpenMandriva Rolling - Restricted - x86_64
rolling-x86_64-unsupported                                                                       OpenMandriva Rolling - Unsupported - x86_64

Note: I do not use non-free repo so that is not listed. OMLx only uses updates repos in Rock.

More info about this if interested: OpenMandriva Release Plan and Repositories

We would need for an OM developer to update that. I’ll ask or see if I can do. May be a few days until something happens.

There probably have not been any. The way OM devs have been updating Rolling mostly involves at some point in time devs decide things in Cooker are stable enough and in good shape and the literally copy Cooker repos to Rolling. This results in a lot of updates at once and then periods of time when there are only a few individual packages updated. There is a plan we are working on to change this so Rolling gets much more regular updates like people expect a Linux rolling distro to function.

So far Rolling has been reported to be as stable as Rock. As far as security Rolling would be better because it gets more updated packages more frequently.

We always announce when we do the copy Cooker to Rolling in the forum so users know to expect large upgrade. Also we do this to include any specialy instructions that may be needed.

This one is very inportant: We don’t want users to upgrade Rolling with Discover or dnfdragora as they do not use the correct command for the way OpenMandriva devs do things. You really need to upgrade like this in terminal:

$ sudo dnf clean all ; sudo dnf dsync

I hope this is helpful information.