Long shutdown

Virtual OpenMandriva 5.0 LXQt takes too long to shut down. Help me find the reason, please.
Host Xubuntu 22.04. VirtualBox 6.1.38.
I also encounter long shutdowns in other virtual Linuxes, so maybe VirtualBox on the host could be the cause.

Likely.

I use various OMLx systems on various OMLx hosts. I only see long shutdown “sometimes”. To avoid this I tend to shutdown from terminal with poweroff command.

The cause of the long shutdown is ususally some systemd stop job that is misbehaving. The screen-shot you posted shows one of these. These misbehaving stop jobs usually have a time out of 90 seconds or 3 minutes.

Yes, the reason is VirtualBox guest addons.

Jan 14 15:43:15 openmandriva systemd[1]: Started plymouth-poweroff.service - Show Plymouth Power Off Screen.
Jan 14 15:43:15 openmandriva systemd[1]: plymouth-switch-root-initramfs.service - Tell Plymouth To Jump To initramfs was skipped because no trigger condition checks were met.
Jan 14 15:44:44 openmandriva systemd[1]: session-c1.scope: Stopping timed out. Killing.
Jan 14 15:44:44 openmandriva systemd[1]: session-c1.scope: Killing process 7611 (VBoxClient) with signal SIGKILL.
Jan 14 15:44:44 openmandriva systemd[1]: session-c1.scope: Killing process 7635 (VBoxClient) with signal SIGKILL.
Jan 14 15:44:44 openmandriva systemd[1]: session-c1.scope: Killing process 7642 (VBoxClient) with signal SIGKILL.
Jan 14 15:44:44 openmandriva systemd[1]: session-c1.scope: Failed with result ‘timeout’.
Jan 14 15:44:44 openmandriva systemd[1]: Stopped session-c1.scope - Session c1 of User denis.

Only this command helps:
killall -9 VBoxClient & poweroff

Not this:
killall VBoxClient & poweroff
poweroff

One of the VBoxClient processes doesn’t respond to the terminate command (or restart itself) and is killed only by force.

The partial log you post does not show anything that strikes me as pointing to virtualbox-guest-additions. Maybe I just don’t know enough to understand that part.

If you want this fixed please file a bug report.

In the bug report please post entire logs no parts of logs. Anything over 20-30 lines put in a .txt file and post that.

Do you mean it’s because of VirtualBox on the host? Or its weird interaction with guest addons.
I think the log is quite sufficient.

You wrote:

I wrote:

Edit: The only thing mentioned in the logs posted is systemd. As far as it being something on the client VM, yes that would be the case because it is the client not shutting down. And since systemd is the init and shutdown software used in OMLx and a lot of other distros then it is a systemd service that is misbehaving, getting stuck or whatever. I suspect this is an issue for VirtualBox developers not OM developers. But again not sure.

One could remove virtualbox-guest-additions and see if that helps anything.

After sudo dnf remove virtualbox-guest-additions OpenMandriva shuts down quickly. But without virtualbox-guest-additions, the clipboard between host and guest doesn’t work.

Instead, I did this:
sudo nano /usr/bin/powerkill

#!/bin/bash
killall -9 VBoxClient & poweroff

sudo chmod +x /usr/bin/powerkill

sudo nano /usr/share/applications/lxqt-shutdown.desktop

Exec=/usr/bin/powerkill

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.