KMail filtering

Sorry for the late response but I’ve been away. I checked I do have the plugins in the stated directory and I also reinstalled Evolution using the dnf command but everything stays the same with a text notification for the number of unread messages so long as the full task manager is being used but no numerical indicator on the Evolution icon if the icon only task manager is used. There is obviously a difference between systems as to how the plugin responsible communicates with the icon to tag a number onto it. As regards ‘building’ anything else I’m not sure how I should go about this?

I’ll package up ‘Evolution Tray’ over the next few days and put it in the unsupported repo then you can download it and test it out. Second thoughts on this as I think that I may have found the actual application you have been talking about. Have a look here Mail Notification is it familiar?
Colin

Thanks again for your time and attention. Yes I am familiar with ‘Mail Notification’ since I remember using it with various distros but years ago now. If I remember correctly it was a standalone app that worked with more than one mail client as opposed to what appears to be a dedicated extension for Evolution.

You might like to take a look at this EvolutionPlugins - Debian Wiki The only Debian alternative to the standard evolution mail plugin is mail-notification. I’m currently building an up to date version of this from github. Once I have an rpm I’ll post it here and you can check to see if it works the way you want it to.
Colin

Thanks again. :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi,
Unfortunately the mail-notification package has not been maintained since 2015 even by Debian. I have got the most update sources I can find but even these are so out of date that they only support evolution-3.14. I have tried to build an rpm from them but no matter what I do I cannot get the package to link so I am afraid that I have to pronounce this package dead as far as OpenMandriva is concerned.
I have had a hunt around for more modern mail notification packages for evolution but even Ubuntu last released a package in 2018 and that is derived from the same sources as I am using. There seem to be quite a few mail notification packages around so it might be worth a search. If you find one that looks like it will do the job you want it to do then enable our unsupported repo and with the ‘Software Repository Chooser’ tool we provide and check it it is there (or in our main repo). If it isn’t let me know and I’ll look at packaging it.
Best,
Colin

Hi Colin. This is a real shame considering the time and effort you’ve put it. The ideal solution would be to fix the default KMail but I appreciate this isn’t up to you guys.

I decided that OpenMandriva needs the sort of functionality that the mail-notification provides so I have started to package this…http://bubblemail.free.fr/
It looks like it might be what you need.
Colin

Thanks. This does look interesting. I also looked at the Mailnag info from which this was written and it looks ideal.

python-bubblemail-1.6-1-omv4003.x86_64.rpm (195.2 KB)
You might like to try this. If it works for you I’ll add it to our repos. To install just do:-
‘sudo dnf install python-bubblemail-1.6-1-omv4003.x86_64.rpm’ from the directory you downloaded it to.
Colin

Now looking to package mailnag.
Colin

I tried installing Bubblemail as instructed and received a conflicting requests error - nothing provides python-distutils

python-bubblemail-1.6-1-omv4003.x86_64.rpm (195.2 KB)
My apologies I took the Requires: from the document but on OMA we call the packages a slightly different name. This updated version will at least install.
Colin

Bubblemail installed and a menu entry appeared but it would not launch. This was the terminal output.

[glyn@DELL-OptiPlex ~]$ bubblemail
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/bin/bubblemail”, line 25, in
from bubblemail.utils import service_is_running # pylint: disable=no-name-in-module
File “/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/bubblemail/init.py”, line 20, in
from .config import Config, CONFIG_DIR, PACKAGE_NAME, APP_VERSION
File “/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/bubblemail/config.py”, line 25, in
import xdg.BaseDirectory as bd
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named ‘xdg’

Ok no problem just do…
‘sudo dnf install python-xdg’
and you should be good to go. I’ll add python-xdg to the requires.

So now it installs and runs but although I again appreciate the amount of effort that has been put into this I’m beginning to wonder if it is really worth it. Bubblemail accepts my Gmail account but gives me nothing in the way of notifications thereafter. My GMX account returns an authentification error despite my double checking the settings so after all this I’m no nearer to anything.

I tend to agree; the problem is that most of the mail notifying type programs seem to be relatively unmaintained. There must be one that has perhaps taken over from them all and we don’t know what it is. If you are happy to work with me on kmail I can get you going with moderate reliability on that. Some of the problems for me may be down to my AOL who host my mail. Their support for POP is woefully inadequate. The other issues can be overcome with a systemd timer or a crontab. I’ve been meaning to automate this part on my system for some time so this would give me an opportunity to implement it. The probs with AOL result in duplicate mails but there are tools in kmail to deal with that.