Iso-scan/filename not working?

Hello,

• OpenMandriva Lx version:

OpenMandrivaLx.3.0-PLASMA.x86_64.iso

• Desktop environment (KDE, LXQT…):

• Description of the issue (screenshots if relevant):

I have an NTFS USB drive with this ISO (also tried 3.01). I tried various parameters but I can’t seem to get it to boot directly from the ISO

I used root=LIVE:LABEL=OpenMandrivaLx_3.0 and root=LIVE:UID=2016-08-11-22-47-47-00 with iso-scan/filename=/OpenMandrivaLx.3.0-PLASMA.x86_64.iso

but can’t seem to get it to work - it reports unable to read squashfs_super_block and failed to set up loop device
It also says dracut-initqueue[382]: mount /dev/sdb is already mounted or run /run/initramfs/omdv busy

has anyone got a working menu example for this ISO (grub2 or grub4dos).
I have done this hundreds of times for other distros but can’t seem to get this ISO to work.

• Relevant informations (hardware involved, software version, logs or output…):
    Tried VBox and IdeaPad 300

Is has been working since 2014.x.You can follow instructions on the wiki. They worked last time I checked.

Also ensure yourself grub can access to ntfs partition. I case add the following line before linux command:

insmod ntfs

Also you may need to set properly the disc and the partition containing the iso. Here is an exmaple:

set isofile=(hd1,msdos2)/user/OpenMandrivaLx.3.0-PLASMA.x86_64.iso

where hdX is the disk (X starts from 0) and msdosX is the partition (X starts form 1 here!).

Don’t people normally format USB drives to fat32 or vfat for ISO’s? Would that make a difference. Booting OM ISO’s from USB flash drive has been bullet proof for me on 3 computers.

I’ve been using rosa-imagewriter for ages. Never failed.

You are booting from ISO files directly (not a dd image) using OpenMandriva 3 ISO?
Can you give me your menu please?
thanks

I don’t understand this I format USB stick to fat32 or VFAT and burn ISO image with ROSA Image Writer. Stick it in USB port and boot it. A monkey could do what I do. I never even heard of any labeling I guess it labels itself.

If you want to burn USB flashdrive from command line do:

To burn .iso file to your USB stick:

# dd if=<iso_name> of=<usb_drive> bs=4M

Replace <iso_name> with the path to the ISO and <usb_drive> with the device node of the USB drive, i.e. /dev/sdb.

Here’s an example:

# dd if=systemrescuecd-x86-4.6.1.iso of=/dev/sdX bs=4M
Edit: For latest OpenMandriva ISO:
# dd if=OpenMandrivaLx.3.02-PLASMA.x86_64.iso of=/dev/sdX bs=4M

I have undestood that you want to boot system from USB pendrive. Am I wrong?

Correct, I want to boot directly from the ISO from a USB drive containing the ISO as a file.

Did you read the Release Notes? Read section:

Booting from USB

or follow my post above.

Yes, I read those notes but I cannot get it to work (except I am using grub4dos and an NTFS USB drive).

Booting from ISO file
Grub2 entry ( to be added in /boot/grub2/grub.cfg)

submenu “OpenMandriva (64 bit)” {
set isofile=/home/user/OpenMandrivaLx.3.0-PLASMA.x86_64.iso
set isoname=OpenMandrivaLx_3.0
loopback loop $isofile

menuentry "OpenMandriva" {
            linux (loop)/boot/vmlinuz0 root=live:LABEL=${isoname} iso-scan/filename=${isofile} rd.live.image toram --
            initrd (loop)/boot/liveinitrd.img
    }

}

I just tried this on a FAT32 USb stick and it works!
So the problem is that it does not work on an NTFS USB stick.

Why do you need to create a menu? There is already a grub2 boot loader with menu on the ISO. It’s literally designed to be plug and play.

I have a USB drive
The USB drive is formatted as FAT32
On the USB drive is the OpenMandriva ISO file.
I want to boot using the ISO file.
The only way to do this is to use a menu with the iso-scan-filename cheat code in it.
That is why the wiki has a separate section for booting from an ISO file.

And what I’m saying is that the OpenMandriva ISO file ending in .iso is already bootable you don’t need to add anything to it just plug it in and boot it. It has it’s own boot loader and boot menu.

So you need Booting from USB, not Booting from ISO file.
Forget Booting from ISO file.

1. Plug in your USB

2. Launch ROSA Image Writer (on OpenMandriva or ROSA. Otherwise here are the sources)

3. Select output device

4. Write

5. Reboot

6. Select your USB device to boot

7. Enjoy

Thanks, but I want to create a multiboot USB drive which can boot many ISOs.

ok.

Postedit

After more experimentation I found that it can boot from NTFS as well !
The problem was that I was also setting up a partition which pointed to the ISO file, so /dev/sdb4 pointed to the ISO file and this was causing the problem!

This menu works for FAT32 and NTFS

title OpenMandriva 
set ISO=/_ISO/LINUX/OpenMandrivaLx.3.0-PLASMA.x86_64.iso
map %ISO% (0xff)
map --hook
root (0xff)
set bootd=rootfstype=auto ro rd.luks=0 rd.lvm=0 rd.md=0 rd.dm=0 rd.live.image acpi_osi=Linux acpi_osi='!Windows 2012' acpi_backlight=vendor audit=0 logo.nologo
set bootl=locale.lang=en_US
set vol=OpenMandrivaLx_3.0
kernel /boot/vmlinuz0 %bootd% root=live:LABEL=%vol% iso-scan/filename=%ISO% %bootl% quiet rhgb splash=silent
initrd /boot/liveinitrd.img
boot

I guess it works for grub4dos because it still uses a grub like syntax (mixed to bath) with is different to grub2. But grub2 is really more powerful than grub or grub4dos so my suggest is to install grub2 in MBR of you USB device. I’s several years I use method and I am fully satisfied of it even I0ve never found the time to wrote a guide for it.

@ben79 because you are a tester you may be interested to this method. In this way you can test ISO image on real hardware at (quite) real the speed if you put the iso on the hadrdisk instead of on an USB devices. Also maintenance is quite low because most times you only need to replace the ISO. On the other hand you may build a USB device as @SteveSi did so you can put several ISO on the same device and maintenance is as simple as before. Also you may use the remaining space on the device as usual usb.

Thanks mandian and SteveSi, in time I will check out both of these. Currently I try to test in way likely to duplicate what most users would be likely to do for one thing to be sure all of that is actually working. Part of the current checklist for all OM testers (and OM-QA) is that ISO needs to burn and boot and install from DVD and USB flash drive.

Being able to multi-boot with other systems on a flash drive would not be officially supported to my knowledge though so need for testing that. This also strikes me as doing something the ‘hard way’ for no apparent gain (for me). If someone else sees this as “Wow what a great thing to do” then that’s the beauty and freedom of Linux. Just remember there are many things users can do in Linux that aren’t officially supported anywhere.

I can see where for some testing being able to boot ISO directly from hard drive might be useful and quicker.

Don’t know if officially, but it is supported, and it is mentioned of the wiki, as linked in above posts. :wink: