Intel I225-V ethernet driver

Hi all,
Few days ago a serious crash forced me to change my motherboard. Now my Openmandrtiva LX 4.1 is unable to manage the new Intel I225-V ethernet chipset.
Can someone give me a hint for solving this issue? Should I simply wait for a new kernel or there is a simple and convenient way to make my new ethernet work?
Thank you for your support.

1 Like

According to this the driver has been in kernel for a long time.

You don’t tell us if you re-installed OM Lx 4.1? Normally after such a major hardware change it is a good idea to re-install.

1 Like

No, I did not re-install OM 4.1 because it worked fine (but ethernet).
Thank you for your suggestion; I will reinstall OM by scratch :wink:

By all means let us know it that does not work.

1 Like

@Marco I hope I was not premature in suggesting that. You should know if this will work when you boot the ISO. If ethernet does not work on the ISO then the problem lies with in OpenMandriva.

1 Like

So not positive I know how to check for this but I think it goes something like this:

To check what the hardware is and what driver it wants:

$ inxi -n

In my case on this box that produces:

$ inxi -n
Network:   Device-1: Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200 driver: iwlwifi 
           IF: wlp4s0 state: up mac: d0:ab:d5:94:a1:6a 
           Device-2: Intel I211 Gigabit Network driver: igb 
           IF: enp5s0 state: down mac: 70:85:c2:d9:20:a0

Device-2 is the ethernet and wants igb driver so to see if it is availaable:

$ lsmod | grep igb
igb                   212992  0
dca                    16384  1 igb
i2c_algo_bit           16384  3 igb,amdgpu,radeon

and it is. But that is my situation not yours. So @Marco one or the other of those commands should tell us if you have a driver available for your ethernet device.

Post-edit: And apologies my advice on this one I got backwards we should have done this first.

1 Like

More infor on this issue. The driver for this device is igc driver. To check and see if whatever kernel you are using has this:

$ sudo modprobe igc

And unfortunately it is not.

$ sudo modprobe igc
modprobe: FATAL: Module igc not found in directory /lib/modules/5.5.12-desktop-1omv4001

It is also not in kernel 5.7.X in Cooker. There is discussion under way about adding this and a few other ethernet drivers.

1 Like

@Marco I was able to build new kernels with this driver for Cooker and Rolling. So that gives you 2 useful things, knowledge that this issue will be resolved for OM Lx 4.2 and a workaround for Lx 4.1.

If you can otherwise get internet to the Lx 4.1 system the command to to this would be (for x86_64 system):

$ sudo dnf upgrade --enablerepo rolling-testing-x86_64 kernel-release-desktop-5.7.1-2 cpupower x86_energy_perf_policy

But if you are not able to otherwise get internet to that system you can manually download the packages here.

I’m using this kernel on a Rock system right now myself. This shows that the driver for your Intel I225-V ethernet chipset is available:

$ sudo modinfo igc
filename:       /lib/modules/5.7.1-desktop-2omv4002/kernel/drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc.ko.xz
version:        0.0.1-k
license:        GPL v2
description:    Intel(R) 2.5G Ethernet Linux Driver
author:         Intel Corporation, <linux.nics@intel.com>
srcversion:     209A45B19CC55EDA1EA6287
alias:          pci:v00008086d000015FDsv*sd*bc*sc*i*
alias:          pci:v00008086d00003100sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
alias:          pci:v00008086d000015F7sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
alias:          pci:v00008086d000015F8sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
alias:          pci:v00008086d000015F3sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
alias:          pci:v00008086d000015F2sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
depends:        
retpoline:      Y
intree:         Y
name:           igc
vermagic:       5.7.1-desktop-2omv4002 SMP mod_unload modversions 
parm:           debug:Debug level (0=none,...,16=all) (int)

And this show that this is a Lx 4.1 x86_64 system:

$ cat /etc/release
OpenMandriva Lx release 4.1 (Mercury) for x86_64
1 Like

@ben79
no problem; I installed OM from scratch with no result, but luckily my home directory is on a different partition… :wink:
As for ethernet, thank you for your precious suggestions. At the moment I can connect to the internet by using a wi-fi pen, but I need lan for speed and stability.
I’ll let you know my progress.

1 Like

@ben79
Unfortunately I’ve just discovered that:
package nvidia-440-kernel-modules-desktop-440.64-2.x86_64 conflicts with kernel-release-desktop > 5.5.12-1 provided by kernel-release-desktop-5.7.1-2.x86_64

• cannot install the best update candidate for package kernel-release-desktop-5.5.12-1.x86_64
  • problem with installed package nvidia-440-kernel-modules-desktop-440.64-2.x86_64

So, it seems that at the moment I can get either graphic card or ethernet working, but not both of them at the same time. Is there a workaround you may suggest?
Thank you so much.

1 Like

The person the builds the nvidia packages has not been available very much recently. So unless and until we can get someone to build nvidia packages for new kernels the answer is probably not.

1 Like

@Marco try the nvidia-440 packages from here. They should work with the Rolling kernel 5.7.1.

Post-edit-06-10-20: To install the nivida-440 from Rolling-non-free/testing repo to go with kernel from Rolling-main/testing repo. I believe these commands will work for the basic nivida packages. Open Konsole or other terminal and run this command string:

$ sudo dnf clean all ; sudo dnf install --enablerepo rolling-testing-x86_64-non-free --allowerasing nvidia-440 nvidia-440-kernel-modules-desktop

Then reboot.

Note: And please let us know if the command string works and if the nvidia driver works. I do not have nVidia hardware to test this myself.

Note-2: Changed thread title to make it easier for any other user with the exact issue to find this thread.

1 Like

I confirm ethernet works great with the new kernel.
Instead, Nvidia driver from rolling returned the following message:
conflicting requests

• package nvidia-440-kernel-modules-desktop-440.64-2.x86_64 conflicts with kernel-release-desktop > 5.5.12-1 provided by kernel-release-desktop-5.7.1-2.x86_64
  • problem with installed package kernel-release-desktop-5.7.1-2.x86_64
1 Like

That is not the right package. My command was wrong. I had ‘–enablerepo rock-testing-x86_64-non-free’ and it should have been ‘–enablerepo rolling-testing-x86_64-non-free’.
Corrected. Try again now.

Correct packages for ‘kernel-release-desktop-5.7.1-2’ are ‘nvidia-440-440.82-1’ and ‘nvidia-440-kernel-modules-desktop-440.82-1’.

1 Like

Ben, thank you for your support.
I downloaded and installed the right Nvidia package. Anything works fine, now.
I have another little issue to fix, but I’ll open a specific thread for it.

1 Like

This is interesting, I can repro similar issue on Ubuntu 20.04 with Intel® Ethernet Controller I225-v and
Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz on the ROG B550-E motherboard.
I just installed the latest CUDA SDK.

Welcome @imWildCat.