HP Color LaserJet 2600n don't print

Hello,

• _OpenMandriva Lx version:_Rolling

• Desktop environment (KDE, LXQT…): KDE,LXQt,XFCE

• Description of the issue (screenshots if relevant):

• _Relevant informations (hardware involved, software version, logs or output…):_in VirtualBox
    My HP Color LaserJet 2600n don’t print.
    Treiber: HP Color LaserJet 2600n, hpcups 3.19.12, requires proprietary plugin (farbig, 2-seitiges Drucken)

In CUPS: “Die Testseite kann nicht gedruckt werden”.

Fehler des CUPS Servers. Beim Betrieb von CUPS trat ein Fehler auf. Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden.

I have installed “hplip” and in a Terminal:
$ hp-setup
for installing a proprietary Plugin.

The /var/log/cups/error_log here: https://pastebin.pl/view/346f4dd1

What is wrong?

with regards
Ch. Hanisch

https://wiki.openmandriva.org/en/distribution/guides/how-tos/printer

Does it help?

Sorry, No!
How can I install the Plugin for my Printer?
I can
$ hp-setup
not understand.

with regards
Ch. Hanisch

First check that cups.service is running:

$ systemctl status cups

If cups is not running that will have to be fixed. If cups is broken I won’t be able to help.
If cups is running then:

Next install task-printing-hp. Then open kcmshell5 kcm_printer_manager and follow the steps. If that does not work you can try localhost:631 in a browser. If neither of those work you can read this.

Also remember that OpenMandriva forum is not the only resource for problems like this. Do an internet search of your issue and you may find better answers elsewhere. Hp printers and hplip software are used by just about every Linux distro so there is no telling where you might find an answer to your issue. Like this for instance.

I do not have a printer and am not in any position to deal with printer issues myself other than to post what little knowledge I may have.

The date in the log you linked are in the past, the latest is 11/Jul/2022:16:22:18 +0200, so I don’t know what to look for.

However the HP Color LaserJet 2600n is supported by a free cup filter, so just give it a try:

sudo dnf install cups-drivers-foo2hp

Hello,
with
sudo dnf install cups-drivers-foo2hp
the following situation in Firefox-Browser CUPS:

Testseite drucken
Testseite drucken Hewlett-Packard-HP-Color-LaserJet-2600n Error

Die Testseite kann nicht gedruckt werden

No such file or directory

What is the reason for that?

with regards
Ch. Hanisch

did you follow the instruction provided by @ben79 ? Then have you deleted and reinstalled your printer in CUPS?

Hello,
I have deleted and reinstalled the Printer in CUPS.
Treiber: HP Color LaserJet 2600n Foomatic/foo2hp (recommended) (farbig, 2-seitiges Drucken)
The result is:

Die Testseite kann nicht gedruckt werden
    No such file or directory

What is the reason for that?

with regards
Ch. Hanisch

Good catch, I missed that. You start with what timedatectl says. For example:

$ timedatectl
               Local time: Wed 2023-12-06 16:03:43 -05
           Universal time: Wed 2023-12-06 21:03:43 UTC
                 RTC time: Wed 2023-12-06 21:03:43
                Time zone: America/Guayaquil (-05, -0500)
System clock synchronized: yes
              NTP service: active
          RTC in local TZ: no

Obviously your time zone would be different unless you are in Ecuador. But otherwise I believe one would normally want these:

My VirtualBox guest systems are set to same time as the host machine.

You can do an internet search for ‘Linux set time/date with timedatectl’ (without the ’ marks) or something like that. This is one how to article.

Hello,
on my system in VirtualBox:

$ timedatectl
               Local time: Do 2023-12-07 08:15:15 CET
           Universal time: Do 2023-12-07 07:15:15 UTC
                 RTC time: Do 2023-12-07 07:15:15
                Time zone: Europe/Berlin (CET, +0100)

with regards
Ch. Hanisch

Hello,
perhaps are filters missing.
In /usr/share/cups/model/hp is my HP Color LaserJet 2600n not listet.
What mean that?

$ journalctl --boot 0 --unit cups --no-pager
Dez 07 09:33:10 VM-OpenMandriva systemd[1]: Starting cups.service - CUPS Scheduler...
Dez 07 09:33:13 VM-OpenMandriva systemd[1]: Started cups.service - CUPS Scheduler.
Dez 07 09:36:53 VM-OpenMandriva cupsd[776]: pam_unix(cups:auth): check pass; user unknown
Dez 07 09:36:53 VM-OpenMandriva cupsd[776]: pam_unix(cups:auth): authentication failure; logname= uid=0 euid=0 tty=cups ruser= rhost=localhost

I have CUPS reinstalled, the same problem in Rolling and in Rock 5.0.

In OpenMandria Rock 4.3 has worked the Printer always fine.
Perhaps is CUPS 2.4.7-1 buggy!?

Here the last Lines from /var/log/cups/error_log

Or the new /var/log/cups/error_log

# cat /var/log/cups/error_log
W [07/Dec/2023:12:26:02 +0100] Printer drivers are deprecated and will stop working in a future version of CUPS. See https://github.com/OpenPrinting/cups/issues/103
E [07/Dec/2023:12:26:09 +0100] [cups-deviced] PID 922 (pdf) stopped with status 8!
E [07/Dec/2023:12:26:10 +0100] [cups-deviced] PID 913 (cups2pegg) stopped with status 13!
E [07/Dec/2023:12:26:11 +0100] [cups-deviced] PID 918 (hpfax) stopped with status 127!

Aha, the cups-drivers-foo2hp is now deprecated.

with regards
Ch. Hanisch

The timedatectl output looks normal. @mandian asked about time because your pastebin in the first post begins in 2019 and most recent date is 2022 so I then requested to check the timedatectl settings. I doubt this is relevant to the printer issue.

I have no clue about cups. We have no other users complaining about cups.

If you are in VirtualBox or another VM why not create a new machine and do a fresh install of Rock/5.0 or ROME and see if the printer works in that instance?

Otherwise to fix the older systems we would need to know about any and all configuration changes, customization, or added software that has occurred over the life of that system. It is impossible for other people to know what a user might have done to their system.

When we test upgrading operating systems such as Rock/4.3 to Rock/5.0 or Rock/4.3 to ROME we are testing default systems that have not been changed at all. There is no way we can replicate all the possible changes that all the universe of OM user might do.

I my case for this issue even if I knew all the configuration changes, customization, or added software I doubt I could sort this issue. That is why I suggest a fresh install, or going to OpenMandriva Chat. Please keep in mind that the OpenMandriva contributor group is very small and our resources are limited. We have to prioritize what we spend our time on.

Hello,
The analysis has shown.
It is due to the CUPS version 2.4.7-1 in Rolling and Rock 5.0.
I think it is a bug in CUPS 2.4.7-1 that no more test pages can be printed.

But printing from some programs works with the

Drivers: HP Color LaserJet 2600n Foomatic/foo2hp (recommended) (color, 2-sided printing)

as well as with the hplip plugin ($ hp-setup)

Driver: HP Color LaserJet 2600n, hpcups 3.23.8, requiress proprietary plugin (color, 2-page printing)

This works in upgraded rolling from ROCK 4.3 and in the new installation of ROCK 5.0.

I can now print out of the systems, but the lack with the test printing is a heavy bug.

Best greetings
Ch. Hanian

all CUPS filters are deprecated now nut still working.

I suppose it is a missing dependence somewhere. Please try to install the libcupsfilters package:

sudo dnf install libcupsfilters

sudo dnf install libcupsfilters

After that it works well. Thank you very much.

with regards
Ch. Hanisch

Thanks for the feedback - dependency on libcupsfilters added.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.