How to clone complete OMLx partition to another PC?

Hello everyone, have a nice day.
systems specs:

• ROME 23.03 znver1
  • Plasma on PC 1; LXQt given up, then supplemented with Plasma on PC 2
  • software versions according to dnfdragora and Discover: everything in its current version
  • “About System” (information) screen output:

Operating System: OpenMandriva ROME 23.03
KDE Plasma Version: 5.27.3
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.104.0
Qt Version: 5.15.8
Kernel Version: 6.2.6-desktop-1omv2390 (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: Wayland [for now; suggestions welcome]
Processors: [last few years’ mainstream ones]
Memory: [plenty]
Graphics Processor: [a tap older than CPUs; still running fine]

As the LXQt-Plasma partition on PC 2 works significantly worse than the native Plasma partition on PC 1, I want to copy the whole OMLx partition #1 to replace #2 with it. So both PCs would have the same OMLx partition afterwards.

questions:

1. Can I at least try that despite the CPU and motherboard of PC 1 are two generations ahead of PC 2? They still have the same CPU socket, core count and memory placement.
  2. At least one of the OMLx partitions is encrypted, I think. Is it still possible?
  3. Can I do it with dd like shown in the following link?
    How to Clone a Partition or Hard drive in Linux

Hi @Tachyonenstrahl

as you may suppose a clean installation on PC2 is the better solution. Anyway I’ll try to answer all the points.

Can’t say for sure without a real test, but this could work. Make a backup first, of course!

It depend on what partition is encrypted and how. In some case could works.

It could work only if both partitions have exactly the same size in bytes. But pay attention if you partition scheme is MBR (as info the procedure you posted) or EFI. In the last case thing are a bit different.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.