FreeCAD won't install

It seems an OMLx (ad at least openSuse) problem.
FreeCAD_OMLx

Not present in FreeCAD 0.19 in Appimage in LinuxMint.
FreeCAD19_Appimage

As you can read it’s the version I installed and error message still appears.

I get this error message:

Unable to launch Qt Assistant (/usr/lib64/qt5/bin/assistant)

In fact this file “/usr/lib64/qt5/bin/assistant” doesn’t exist in my system.

my mistake, i meant freecad-0.19.4-0.20220205.6. You may install it from testing repository.

freecad_zoom
Here is mine … maybe it’s the icon theme.

All icons looks different and I didn’t change anything after OpenMandriva installation.
Which style are you using?

That snapshot is from mate desktop with blueMenta theme, not from standard plasma. I posted it to suggest to you to try to change theme or icons in your desktop environment.

I’m not able to find blueMentha theme.
Installed release 6 and no more error message at start.

Opened a bug FreeCAD GUI icon missing · Issue #2780 · OpenMandrivaAssociation/distribution · GitHub

If fact it is a Mate theme but you may just install mate-icon-theme or adwaita-icon-theme or any other icon theme you can find in the repository and they to change the default of plasma. IMO it is not a OMLx specific bug but an upstream bug so you may open a bug report at KDE people or FreeCAD developers.

Opened bug in KDE 450870 – FreeCAD GUI icon missing
I don’t find any bug tracer in FreeCAD

I think they are using github issues trcker

I link below the lines of ode where freecad calls the missing (for you) icons:

I’ve got an aswer in KDE bug tracer.
And I used your very good and useful work to answer

I opened a bug in FreeCAD too zoom icons wrong in KDE · Issue #6633 · FreeCAD/FreeCAD · GitHub

1 Like

Your work helped in finding a quick solution, see 450870 – Zoom icons in FreeCAD toolbar fall back to `zoom` due to lack of more specific icons

1 Like

Great! So next version on breeze icons will fixes it … meanwhile you may apply the “patch” manually using the following code:

for t in breeze breeze-dark
do
	for s in 16 22 32
	do
		sudo ln -s zoom-original.svg /usr/share/icons/$t/actions/$s/zoom-all.svg 
		sudo ln -s zoom-fit-best.svg /usr/share/icons/$t/actions/$s/zoom-selection.svg
	done
done

Maybe you also need to clean old FreeCAD config (not sure):

mv ~/.FreeCAD  ~/.FreeCAD.bkp

Tried both actions but icons still unavailable.
Not a big problem, I can wait next Breeze.

I discover there are some other dirs FreeCAD uses and I don’t know enough to say what is were. So you may remove them at once then retry.

mv ~/.config/FreeCAD ~/.config/FreeCAD,bkp
mv ~/.cache/FreeCAD ~/.cache/FreeCAD.bkp
mv ~/.local/share/FreeCAD ~/.local/share/FreeCAD.bkp

Done, no zoom icons.
I wait for new Breeze.

The topic title is “FreeCAD won’t install”
Did FreeCAD install finally?
What was the proper fix?
So we can tag the topic solved if so.

Icons wrong or right and whatever other issue not related to FreeCAD installation is matter of a new topic.

We had to rebuilt freecad and some its dependences and I think it installs and works well now, even here there is another issue I can’t reproduce.