Does anyone else remember a partition manager with this unusual feature?

Does anyone else remember a partition manager with this unusual feature?

At one point, I had a Linux/Unix partition manager that would actually let you see and check the individual files within the partitions…and even allowed you to open the files for inspection to examine the contents from within the partition manager screen.

I had it, and used it… and I sure do remember how much I liked it.
(I probably still have it somewhere… if only I could remember what distribution it came with!)

I think it might have been included in a Linux or Unix OS distribution, or possibly a system rescue type distribution package…

It otherwise looked and functioned exactly like a typical generic KDE, Gparted, Parted Magic, etc. GUI screen, but I haven’t seen one with that capability in years.

If anyone recalls, or knows of a similar application, please let me know.
(BTW, I’m doing an internet search; if I find a match, I’ll pass it along.)

Thanks everyone.
Mike

Check what?

I remember that it was possible with the installer of an old version of OpenMandriva (Mandrake or Mandriva).

Thanks for the reply!
You know, I thought that’s what I remember too… but as I seem to recall, that feature disappeared in the next release, and never came back.
Any idea what version that was?

I ask what you believe such a utility would check because I only know of 2 things.

1. Integrity of a file which is checked with checksums. Obviously you can only check checksums for files that have checksums. In OMLx Plasma one can do that with Dolphin by accessing ‘Propertities’:

There are other ways to check checksums as well including the command line. Also checksums need to be created when the file is created to be useful.

1. Integrity of the entire file system. This is obviously done on a partition. KDE Partition Manager does this. First the partition has to be unmounted, you click on the partition you need to check and there is a drop down menu where your select ‘Check’, select that and the Partition Manager runs the fsck command and repairs anything needed repairing automatically. Here that check and repair takes 30 sec. or less on a 30GB partition so it has gotten much faster over the years. But now in OMLx any version when you boot or reboot your system systemd automatically runs fsck on the partitions it is mounting (partitions listed in /etc/fstab). This is something that has changed radically since I started in Linux about 20 years ago. Back then Fedora users talked about fsck and ran it manually a lot. Now it is basically a background thing. Mostly… unless there is a problem.

I do not know what else there would be to check but if there is I would like to learn.

I do know that when a utiltiy disappears and no one over how many Linux distros bothers to re-create that utility it is probably because it is no longer useful. You might check with Mageia and see if they have what you are talking about as they were trying to keep drakx tools alive.

Content removed because it turned out to be incorrect. Blame @ben79.

Credo che sia una distro precedente a Calamares.
Prima l’installer permetteva di controllare anche il contenuto del disco, e ovviamente non bisogna continuare dopo averlo esaminato altrimenti si formatta tutto

i think gparted+gpart does that

Thanks, daraf:

With the help (or hindrance, as the case may be) of Google Translate:

Credo che sia una distro precedente a Calamares.
Prima l’installer permetteva di controllare anche il contenuto del disco, e ovviamente non bisogna continuare dopo averlo esaminato altrimenti si formatta tutto

translates as:

I believe it is a previous distro to Calamares.
Previously the installer also allowed you to check the contents of the disk, and obviously you shouldn’t continue after examining it otherwise everything will be formatted.

This is what I recall and was looking for. Every other version of a Partition Manager-type program I’ve found does not offer this feature, and this is what I am trying to find.

Do you happen to recall when Calamares was introduced in OM?

Interesting anyway, thanks.

You probably mean a previous installer to Calamares. Calamares is used by many Linux distros.

Not sure, I think Calamares was introduced with OMLx 3.0. I am pretty positive the ROSA installer for Mandriva 2011 and OpenMandriva 2013 & 2014 did not have this feature.

You are talking about checking the checksums for an .iso file. This is easy to do and does not take long. Like a few minutes or less.

Checking checksums to verify integrety of OMLx .iso files

One should always check the checksums for an .iso. However the fact that the checksums match does not guarantee that there will be no problem, it does make it less likely.

Another thing I do with .iso files is I do not download them with a browser downloader. I always download them in Konsole (terminal) with aria2c or wget, curl is OK too.

How To Do safer downloads

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.