Different widgets for different Activities

I did understand that 2. is another procedure and has to do with the creation of a new Activity isn’t it?
But:
Default settings (without any user’s intervention) are
* Desktop Layout = Folder View
* Location = Desktop folder

Is this concerning the “Folder View” widget I also have to create in that new Activity?

I am very,very, sorry but I do not have the foggiest idea what to do after having created that new Activity.
Moreover I do not understand why I have to create in the Default activity (is in fact the startup desktop)
a folder (named “links”) containing links which I, if I understand this particular part correctly, want to have as shortcuts in my newly created activity. If you can explain the IDEA behind the procedure then I perhaps can better understand things

No, it’s concerning the general Desktop settings (right click > Configure Desktop)

I can understand that “Folder View” widget and “Folder View” desktop setting may lead to confusion when writing here.

As for me, I don’t like to have any icon on my desktop. Lighter is better :grin: . I add only the weather widget.
So I always change Layout from Folder View to Desktop. In the mean time I select the background image which fits better my screen size.

The advantage to create “Links” (just as example) folder is that you will see only your shortcuts. If you choose Location: Desktop folder either you will see also Donate, Join, Welcome icons, or you need to delete them from your ~/Desktop folder.
PS>
Also you can have different folders containing different kind of apps shortcuts. For example Internet Links where you have Firefox, QupZilla, Kmail, etc. Graphic Links where you have Gimp, Inkscape, Krita, etc. Multimedia Links where you have Clementine, SMPlayer, etc. And so on. So you have 1 Activities Internet, 1 Activities Graphic, 1 Activities Multimedia, etc.
Just an idea on how to play with activities… which, well, surely may look bizarre now that it’s me teaching you LOL.

The advantage I found to put on desktop the “Folder View” widget is that I can resize it and also move it where I want.

Well, the problem is not how to create and use “Activities”, these I am already using on my other distro PCLimuxOS.
When I had to migrate from PCLinuxOS-KDE4 to PCLinuxOS-KDE5, I lost the “virtual desktops” because they could no longer be used in KDE5. I was advised to change to “Activities” as an alternative. After figuring out how to do that I created the activities “Internet”, Graphics", “Multimedia” and “Office”. On each activity I created the shortcuts/widgets I needed without facing any problems. Until I started to investigate OpenMandriva where, as you already have noticed (ha-haaa!!) I am having great difficulty to get things done the way I have them done in PCLinuxOS.

Update: At last I finally found a “modus operandi” :relaxed:
Will write tomorrow what it is so you can see if this is the correct way to do it.

Here the procedure which I followed to get different shortcuts/widgets on different Activity-”desktops” (Put between quotes because they are not real desktops).
The keywords who brought me to this procedure rugyada supplied in trying to help me out in this matter. By using these keywords I got in the end to this procedure. Hope it is a correct one.

1. Create separate folders using Dolphin. For instance “link-Graphics”, “link-Office” and “link-MultiMedia”
  2. Populate each folder with the links you want to use when selecting that particular Activity by dragging and dropping the links from Launcher and clicking on “link here” when the little window pops up when releasing the left click.
    If you want you can rename the link into a simpler name like “inkscape” when you have dragged and dropped that link into the “link-Graphics” folder.
  3. Create an Activity the way I have described above, for instance the Activity “Graphics” and after that right-click on an empty place on that “desktop” and select “Configure Desktop”.
  4. The window “Folder View Settings-Plasma” pops up and in the left pane at first “Wallpaper” is by default selected. Choose for ‘Layout’ the “Folder View”.
  5. Then, also in that left pane click on “Location” and in the right pane “Location” check the radio button “Specify a folder". Then click on that little “folder”-icon on the right and navigate to the “link-Graphics” folder which was made in point 1
  6. Click “Apply” and “OK”

You should now see the links in the Activity “Graphics”-“desktop”, the ones you did drag and drop in the “link-Graphics” folder and only in this Activity.
Repeat those steps for all other Activities-”desktops” you want to create and when arriving at point 5, navigate to the folder where the links are for that particular Activity.

You can also choose for installing the “Activity Pager” widget for easy switching between all the Activities you have created.
In my PCLinuxOS distro I installed it on the panel and by clicking on one of the Activities there and using the scroll wheel of my mouse, I can quickly navigate between them.
But for some reason I did not manage to do this in OpenMandriva, but this is another story……

1 Like

You wrote a good summary of what I explained in many instances, with the help of many screenshots, here above.
Thank you.

Guess also we have now a lot of stuff available to make an awesome guide :wink:

That’s really inexplicable. I did it, you have seen… :astonished:

Yes, I did!
But I cannot get it placed IN the panel. It is ON the desktop.

Oh it’s as easy as to add any other widget to the panel.
Click on panel bottom right icon to open panel menu > Add Widget > Activity Pager.

Perhaps I needed that last picture you showed here, but now I managed to get them IN the panel :smile:
Thanks for all your help. Problem solved.
Cannot add [Solved] at the title of this topic, perhaps the moderator can?