Development release ISO build 97 for testing

New development release ISO #97 for testing
[Link]

It bootslive but not for some I suspect. If your boot hard drive has an ntfs partition the inifrd will not start and the boot process appears locked.
For the time being there are two solutions.

1. make sure that the bios default boot drive does not have an ntfs partition. You can change the default boot drive in most modern bioses. Either set it to an empty cdrom drive or to a hard drive that only has linux or fat32 partiions. I have not tried pointing the a cdrom drive so your milage may vary with this option.
  2. Add the following to the live bootline in grub before booting.
    rd.driver.pre=ntfs
    Then boot and all should be ok.
    Colin

I installed yesterday evening from what I think is the 12 March build/iso. Here are few points that might require to raise a case in bugzilla (will do that later):

1. I created a partition on an external HD. When the installation tool proposed a filesystem, ext2 is on the top of the list. Shall we rather propose ext4 first?

2. once partitioning is configured, I clicked the next button. The installation window became blank (white, empty) and I had to click the next button again to launch the installation. It looks like a bug.

3. The message at the end of the installation is a bit confusing at least in French. It says something like continue with the installed system or shutdown/reboot. There is a checkbox to ask for reboot. I checked nothing, just clicked Finish and the system shutdown. I am describing all that by memory. I will confirm or not my initial confusion after my next installation

4. I launch OMLx3 successfully. During installation user password along with option to logon without password and use same password for root is very comfortable - thumb up!

5. I left the computer during the installation of the 52 updated packages (during installation there was not network, I connect my laptop to the LAN after launching OMLx3). When I came back - a couple of hours later - the screen was black, I thought it was the screensaver but could not reactivate the screen. I had to crtl-Alt-F2 to login and shutdown. This one might be a bug too.

So it’s the build #100.

ext2 is on the top of the list. Shall we rather propose ext4 first?

Yes, I too have noticed this at a certain point in time.
ext4 on top would be more suitable, I agree.

2 […] 5

How did you launch installation? from the “Install OpenMandriva Lx” first menu entry, or from live mode?

Postedit:

During installation user password along with option to logon without password and use same password for root is very comfortable - thumb up!

You may find here some people not so happy as you with that :laughing:
But, well… to each his own preferences :wink:

I have launched the installaiton from the “Install OpenMandriva Lx”
first menu entry

Le 2016-03-17 14:12, rugyada a écrit :

rugyada [1] Design
March 17

olivier:

from what I think is the 12 March build/iso

So it’s the build #100.

ext2 is on the top of the list. Shall we rather propose ext4 first?

Yes, I too have noticed this at a certain point in time.
ext4 on top would be more suitable, I agree.

2 […] 5

How did you launch installation? from the “Install OpenMandriva Lx” first menu entry, or from live mode?

POSTEDIT:

During installation user password along with option to logon without password and use same password for root is very comfortable - thumb up!

You may find here some people not so happy as you with that
But, well… to each his own preferences

Visit Topic [2] or reply to this email to respond

IN REPLY TO

olivier [3]
March 17

I installed yesterday evening from what I think is the 12 March build/iso. Here are few points that might require to raise a case in bugzilla (will do that later): I created a partition on an external HD. When the installation tool proposed a filesystem, ext2 is on the top of the list. Shall we r…

Visit Topic [2] or reply to this email to respond

To stop receiving notifications for this particular topic, click here [4]. To unsubscribe from these emails, change your user preferences [5]

Links:
[1] https://forum3.openmandriva.org/users/rugyada
[2]
https://forum3.openmandriva.org/t/development-release-iso-build-97-for-testing/319/4
[3] https://forum3.openmandriva.org/users/olivier
[4]
https://forum3.openmandriva.org/t/development-release-iso-build-97-for-testing/319/unsubscribe
[5] https://forum3.openmandriva.org/my/preferences

.3. The message at the end of the installation is a bit confusing at least in French. It says something like continue with the installed system or shutdown/reboot. There is a checkbox to ask for reboot. I checked nothing, just clicked Finish and the system shutdown. I am describing all that by memory. I will confirm or not my initial confusion after my next installation

This makes sense, if/when you’re running ISO in live mode and go for install from there. The question asked is if you wish to continue to test/discover the system or you’re done and want to reboot with installed system.

One may argue that this question should not be seen when install start from first menu, because there’s nothing to play with actually :smile:
Calamares is developing, and improving and featurizing . We may forgive some small oversight imho :slight_smile:

https://issues.openmandriva.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1558

I just did a first quick test in virtualbox (EDIT: build 106):
– one good point: we have now the choice to install the bootloader and where (in the mbr of a disk or in the install root partition) or to not install it.
– visual aspect: big change …
– konqueror: it is not installed by default (that ok) but the only enabled view is FSView, which comes from the package konq-plugin, is absolutely unusable for daily work. No way to enable list or icon view. This is a blocker for me: I dont want to be obliged to use dolphin :wink:
– there are some other points like bad signatures when updating and the impossibility to install devel tools (dependancies errors)

Installation on real hardware (asus ux31e): falling to dracut for dark reasons around non mountable file system. I’ll file a report.
EDIT: tried with 2 usb stick. I will try with another third.

Ok. The third one was the good one :slight_smile:
I can test the live mode on real hardware. The installation is another story. I will explain later.

Installation on a laptop with a multi-partitions disk.
The laptop has 2 video cards: intel integrated + ati radeon (1).
So I had to add nomodeset to kernel boot options.
I chose one test partition (29 GB) to install the system and asked to mount my /home partition (245 GB) as /home2 : bad idea!
I also asked to install the bootloader in the install partition (/): second bad idea!

If grub is a rather simple animal, calamares has more than one tentacle…
A good point however, after having chosen the installation process, calamares give a summary of what has been chose but it is lying. Well, not really lying but it doesn’t tell all it will actually do.

– system partition: instead of simply format it, it delete, resize (for the same size) and format it. Result: the order of the following partitions is changed and after rebooting, the original grub doesn’t recognize the partitions and falls into rescue mode that is all but fun.
A manual repairing was rather combersome, so I ended up to reinstall the bootloader from the usb key … with the command line since I didn’t find any graphical tool for this purpose(2).

– /home2 partition: calamares didn’t delete it, happily, but started to resize it for the same size! Totally crazy: dangerous and absolutely useless! The process took ages (well, more than 3 hours) but fortunately, without any damage for my data. Pffuu!
I should have ask to install the system without extra partitions and add them after the reboot.

Now, the system seems to work. I will update the packages later.

(1):

# inxi -v 1
    System:    Host: butterfly Kernel: 4.1.18-nrjQL-desktop-1omv x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: N/A
               Distro: OpenMandrivaLinux 2015.0 Einsteinium
    CPU:       Dual core Intel U4100 (-MCP-) speed/max: 1200/1300 MHz
    Graphics:  Card-1: Intel Mobile 4 Series Integrated Graphics Controller
               Card-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] RV710/M92 [Mobility Radeon HD 4330/4350/4550]
               Display Server: X.org 1.18.2 drivers: fbdev,intel (unloaded: vesa)
               tty size: 111x39 Advanced Data: N/A for root
    Drives:    HDD Total Size: 500.1GB (51.3% used)
    Info:      Processes: 191 Uptime: 13 min Memory: 784.0/3858.8MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.2.27

(2) curiously, systemsettings is not available in live mode but I found it after installation.

I fully agree with you on this point. It is really cool :ok_hand: I did my first install without noticing it and ended it up with the bootloader on my external drive :angry: but was happy to discover this feature during my second install today :slight_smile:

In fact this is the step OpenMandriva Association which I suppose will display some info which are not ready to be communicated yet hence the blank screen. Could someone confirm?

I installed the build 106 (this comment has been reposted in https://forum3.openmandriva.org/t/development-release-iso-build-106-for-testing/347)

Installation:

1. The OpenMandriva Lx windows when minimized can only be recovered with Alt+Tab. This can be very disturbing. Anyway to recall it from an icon?
  2. the step "OpenMandriva Association"in the left column is truncated: only the upper part of the work Association is visible
  3. the languages are not sorted in alphabetical order
  4. when chosing a timezone it is not possible to scroll up with the mouse. Only up arrow of the keyboard must be used. Scrolling odwn with the mouse works well
  5. there is a spelling issue in the French translation of “What is your name”. It says “Quel est vote nom?”, it should say “Quel est votre nom?”
  6. in the summary I would formulate the Install, replace, create, configure statement with Installation, replacement, creation, configuration statement (In fact I have not seen the English version but the French version). If you tell me the po the French installation is translated from I could review it.

The installation on an external hard disk lasted 13 minutes. In line with the announced 15 minutes :slight_smile:

OpenMandriva first run:

1. Before the splash screen there are 3 question marks above 3 dots. Is a stylish OpenMandriva missing there?
  2. MCC is still there. I thought it was decided to remove it and use KDE desktop configuration instead
  3. I have experience a lot of performance issue. It may be because I am running from an external harddisk. On the other hand sometime the performance is acceptable sometime it freezes. The top command shows load average above 7 and CPU often reaches 100%. I could not identify the job(s) that would cause this performance issue. But it looks to happen whenever I click on the start menu button (OpenMandriva logo icon).
  4. source for update needs to be configured. Then I have not done the 881 announced updates…

That’s it for today. :slight_smile:

Where is the option to install without installing bootloader? I don’t see it. How do you do it?

You have the choice if you choose:

• automatic partitioning

• or the partition to replace

• or after having set the root system in manual partitioning.

Example after having clicked on “current”:

Thanks, I wasn’t aware of that. I of necessity use Manual Partitioning and I can’t find any way to get that box to appear allowing an install without installing boot loader. Can you maybe look and see if you can figure it out? 2 computers are UEFI and 1 is MBR. Seems to work the same in either case.

Tried with 2014 in virtualbox. I added a second virtual disk and installed the build 106 on it, choosing to not install the bootloader. That worked. I had to add the new entry from the 2014.
In calamares, when you have created the root partition, the choice of installing or not the bootloader is available:

The summary doesn’t show anything about the bootloader:

But, if I choose to install the bootloader, in root partition for example, the summary shows it: