Development release ISO build 106 for testing

OMLx3 Beta candidate build #106 for testing.

From @TPG in cooker ML:

"
Here is the Lx 3 beta candidate:
https://abf.openmandriva.org/platforms/cooker/products/4/product_build_lists/106

Main features:

LLVM/clang 3.8.0
kernel 4.1.18
Mesa 11.2-rc3
Qt 5.5.1
Plasma 5.5.5
KF 5.20.0
KDE Apps 15.12.3
Calamares 2.1
x11-server 1.1.8.2
Wayland 1.10.0
LXQt 0.10.0
systemd 229
bash 4.4-rc1

…and many many more.

Please give it a solid testing, have no mercy and report all the bugs.

BTW
I think it would be wise to release beta with Plasma 5.6 which is about to be
released this month.

Still missing recent kernel, like 4.5.0 :frowning:
"

Please report all bugs you may find in our bug tracker system.
Good testing! :slight_smile:

Installation:

1. The OpenMandriva Lx windows when minimized can only be recovered with Alt+Tab. This can be very disturbing. Anyway to recall it from an icon? - bug https://issues.openmandriva.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1564
  2. the step "OpenMandriva Association"in the left column is truncated: only the upper part of the work Association is visible - bug https://issues.openmandriva.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1565
  3. the languages are not sorted in alphabetical order - bug https://issues.openmandriva.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1566
  4. when chosing a timezone it is not possible to scroll up with the mouse. Only up arrow of the keyboard must be used. Scrolling odwn with the mouse works well - bug https://issues.openmandriva.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1567
  5. there is a spelling issue in the French translation of “What is your name”. It says “Quel est vote nom?”, it should say “Quel est votre nom?” - bug https://issues.openmandriva.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1568
  6. in the summary I would formulate the Install, replace, create, configure statement with Installation, replacement, creation, configuration statement (In fact I have not seen the English version but the French version). If you tell me the po the French installation is translated from I could review it.

The installation on an external hard disk lasted 13 minutes. In line with the announced 15 minutes :slight_smile:

OpenMandriva first run:

1. Before the splash screen there are 3 question marks above 3 dots. Is a stylish OpenMandriva missing there?
  2. MCC is still there. I thought it was decided to remove it and use KDE desktop configuration instead
  3. I have experience a lot of performance issue. It may be because I am running from an external harddisk. On the other hand sometime the performance is acceptable sometime it freezes. The top command shows load average above 7 and CPU often reaches 100%. I could not identify the job(s) that would cause this performance issue. But it looks to happen whenever I click on the start menu button (OpenMandriva logo icon). - bug https://issues.openmandriva.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1569
  4. source for update needs to be configured. Then I have not done the 881 announced updates…

That’s it for today. :slight_smile:

It is an OpenMandriva feature :wink:
Plymouth in Oma is buggy since years.
We are the only distro all over the world!
Seriously, I think the packager is not able to fix the problem.

Please file a bugreport also for this “feature”. Thanks.

I do wish we could either get Plymouth to work or replace it with something that does similar and works. Don’t know if there even is an alternative though.

I’ve given up asking for it to be fixed.

Whole QA has given up asking for it to be fixed.
And that is not good.

TEST
System: OpenMandriva Lx3, beta (candidate)
Version: 64-bits
Build: 106

Screen 0: Bootloader menu
1- An observation (not necessarily an error, but I think it could be “enhanced”): the boot menu is only in English. When Mandriva 2010 appeared, boot menu language could be changed using a F-key (screen resolution could also be changed via a F-key in Mandriva 2010). I really don’t know if this is easy to change.
2- The first line in the boot menu says “OpenMandriva Lx 2015.0 x86_64 PLASMA BUILD ID:106”. The name is wrong (it should say “Lx 3” instead of “Lx 2015.0”; we are in 2016 already !!) and it never says if it’s a TP, alpha, beta or RC version (the fact is a Cooker version can be inferred from the “BUILD ID” text).

I selected “Start OpenMandriva Lx in live mode”.

Screen 1: Plymouth
3- Plymouth (or whatever is used now) doesn’t work. Only some filled squares and question marks appeared over a black background. I think it’s a graphic card problem, as I made the test in a box with a nVidia card (which already had similar “problems” in the past).

Screen 2: Language selection
4- An observation: languages that can be selected only appeared written in English. For example, is says “Spanish” instead of “Español” and “German” instead of “Deutsche”.

I selected “Spanish”, as it’s my mother tongue. From now on, the observations regarding languages are valid if “Spanish” is selected. I presume similar problems can appear with other languages, but I didn’t test it.

Screen 3: Licence
5- Licence text appear in English after selecting Spanish as language. In Mandriva 2010, license appeared in Spanish after selecting Spanish in the boot menu. Outside the licence box, texts appear in Spanish (the question “¿Acepta esta licencia?”, the answers “Aceptar” and “Rechazar”, and the buttons “Salir” and “Aceptar”).
Please note that, for the button, it’s better “Siguiente” [it means “Next”] instead of “Aceptar” [it means “Accept”] as text in the button, as the “Aceptar” is already one option to answer the “Do you accept this licence?” question.

I selected “Aceptar” (accept) and then “Aceptar” button (it should be “next”).

Screen 4: Timezone
6- The question, “What is your current timezone?”, appear in English (Spanish translation: “¿Cuál es su zona horaria?” o, mejor aun, “¿Cuál es su huso horario?”; note the accent in “Cuál”). Note that buttons at the bottom appear in Spanish (“Cancelar” and “Siguiente”).
7- An observation: names of the cities and countries appear in English too, instead in their original languages (for example, it says “Sweden” instead of “Sverige”). I understand that translate all those name is time-consuming and that English names are usually enough, so it’s not clear to me if change all this is worthwhile. It can be helpful for novice users and people who don’t understand English.

I selected “Rosario”, the city where I live. I don’t know why it’s not under “Argentina”, which includes another Argentinian cities.

Screen 5: Time configuration
8- Title, options and buttons appear in Spanish. But the question (“What is your current time?”) appears in English !. Spanish translation: “¿Cuál es su hora actual?”.
9- Here, there’s some kind of confussion.
The clock of my PC is set at local time. I live in a UTC-3 h time zone. I.e, when here is “18:00”, in Greenwich is “21:00”. I must substract 3 hours from UTC.
However, the system gives me 2 options:

• 18:00 (internal clock set in UTC)
  • 21:00 (internal clock set in local time).
    My time is 18:00, internal clock is set at 18:00, but OMV says me that if I select 18:00, my system clock should be set in UTC, which is plainly wrong!!!.

I selected “18:00 (internal clock set in UTC)”, as it’s around 18:00 here, even when my PC clock is set in local time, not UTC.

Screen 6: Keyboard layout.
No observations.
However, some time ago I suggested a graphics display of every keyboard layout could be shown as an aid for help to the selection. Where I live we can have Spanish, as in my box, and Latinamerican, as in my notebook, layouts. A lot of people are confussed with this, as both have accent keys and the “Ñ” key, but they also have a lot of differences, being (probably) the most annonying the “@” key, which can be at the “2” or at the “Q” key, and the accents, which are very used in Spanish.
The answer I got in the (old vanilla) forum was that when using Calamares, a graphic layout could be shown. Up to where I know we are already using Calamares, but there’s no graphic keyboard layout.

Screen 7: Live desktop !!!
10- An observation: “om-welcome” window dissapeared. I think it would be good to have it again, even when I don’t use it, as it’s a nice option to novice users.
11- Trying to configure the keyboard layout from MCC still doesn’t shows a graphic aid to help the correct selection.

The system booted up without troubles. It was pretty fast to boot too !! Even when I boot up from a USB pen drive (slower than hard disk), this is the result:

$
systemd-analyze time
Startup finished in 2.261s (kernel) + 8.234s (initrd) + 16.558s (userspace) = 27.054s

$ systemd-analyze blame | head
8.315s ldconfig.service
6.005s rdisk.service
5.107s nmb.service
1.627s firewalld.service
868ms tuned.service
776ms lvm2-monitor.service
652ms ModemManager.service
606ms systemd-hwdb-update.service
586ms accounts-daemon.service
409ms fedora-readonly.service

This is almost 10 seconds faster than my OMV 2014.2 booting from hard disk !

I celebrate the existence of the “Install OpenMandriva Lx” icon. It was absent in the previous alphas and betas I tested.

My PC has a nVidia card. Nouveau module was automatically selected. It works nice.

“Start” menu (oops, MS language !!!) is in Spanish !! However, a lot of options have a long names in Spanish, and their texts doesn’t appear complete. For example, the “Tools” menu option (“Herramientas” in Spanish) has almost all its program names “cutted”. Width of the submenu cannot be changed.

TEST
System: OpenMandriva Lx3, beta (candidate)
Version: 64-bits
Build: 106

From a live session, I selected the “Install OpenMandriva Lx” icon to install OMV in the hard disk.

Before, a couple of observations:
a- Being in the live session, all the icons (Donate, Install and Join) have their titles in English, even when I selected Spanish at the time of boot.
b- Several months ago it was proposed to users (from the Association) to publish images that it could be used in the new OMV Lx. Images should be uploaded to Artwork/Einsteinium Wallpapers - Wiki [en] OpenMandriva. No one of the images is used up to now.

Screen 0: Welcome screen
No observations. All texts are in Spanish, the language I selected when start the live session.

Screen 1: Location
1- Even when timezone and location were selected at the begining of the live session, Calamares now reset location to London. It would be much better if the installer can take time zone and location from it was selected when started the live session.
Note that “regional settings” (I don’t know the exact name in English) was correctly selected as “es_ES.UTF-8”, the same the live session has.

Screen 2: Keyboard layout
No observations.
In this case keyboard layout IS SHOWN !!!

Screen 3: Partitions
2- There is a big mix of English and Spanish in the options list. In my case, the only option that appears in Spanish is the last one, “Manual partitioning”. All other options with their respective aid-texts are in English (except the last). This is really a big stone in the shoe. Partitioning is probably the most delicate step in the installation process. Having it in English can be confussing to users who are not proficent in English (it’s not enough with basic knowledge of English, as most of the used terms are specific to Computers)

I selected “Replace a partition” to overwrite my previous version of OMV Lx3.
Again, there is a mix of Spanish and English. It says in English “Select a partition to install” and also “Current”, but then in Spanish it says “Después” (it means “after”; it lacks the accent at the last “e”).

Here is where I closed my eyes and take a very deep breath, because the disk where I’ll install OMV has a NTFS partition and, to make things more difficult, it’s MBR. Both disks have one NTFS, so I cannot avoid this. It was mentioned before that having a NTFS partition in the disk where bootloader will be put can lead to problems.

3- After selecting “Replace a partition” a message appears at the bottom of the Calamares window. It says “The EFI system partition at /dev/sdd2” will be used for starting OpenMandriva Lx” (in English). THAT’S NOT WHAT I WANT TO DO !!. sdd2 is my pendrive, where I “burnt” the OMV ISO. I don’t found a way at this point where that /dev/sdd2 can be changed !!!

Screen 4: Users
No observations. All texts are in Spanish.

I think having preset “Use the same password for the Admin account” is a double-edged knife. It’s too “windowish”: It can be simpler for normal and alone users, but it’s a security risk indeed.

I created my main user and put another password for root.

Screen 5: OpenMandriva Association
4- The screen is blank, empty !! It was already mentioned here in the forum.

Screen 6: Summary
5- I choose to use an existing partition. But in the summary says the partition will be deleted, it will create a new partition of a new type (new will be ext4, existing is ext3) and it will configure the bootloader in the USB with the new OMV.

THAT IS NOT WHAT I WANT TO DO.

I go back to the partition screen and select manual partition. This is a little bit counterintuitive. But it will allow me to have more control over what the system will try to do. I’m pretty confident about my chances to fight succesfully with partitions as it’s not my first fight.

Screen 3 bis: Partition
6- This time I select “Manual partitioning”. Select the same partition as before (/dev/sda1 in my system, type ext3). But it doesn’t let me continue. I must delete the partition before, re-create it (type ext2 preset, as it was said here in the forum), mounted as / type ext4 and now, yes, I can choose “Next”.

I still think that it’s counterintuitive. But at least it seems it works.

7- A novelty. It says I need to configure a EFI system partition. My sda disk is the old one, and it’s MBR. The troubles? The window appeared saying I need an EFI partition also says it must be fat32,
have the “esp” flag selected, and mounted in /boot/efi. It’s ok. I do that. But some sites says that the partition must have also the “boot” flag active, which it’s logical to me. So I selected “boot” and “esp”. If “boot” is really needed (I think so), it must be warned in the same window it says I need an EFI
partition. I configured the partition with 256 MB and type FAT32. I also create the new OMV root partition type ext4. When I try to re-use my (very) old /home partition I found a problem. I did this before with previous betas and alphas, and my old home/myuser folder not only could be reused. Also permissions were ok (in both cases I’m the first user, number 500), so I don’t expect problems here. But problems appear in the summary screen.

Screen 4 bis: Users
No observations. It’s good to see that all my previous configurations about users are already set !

Screen 6 bis: Summary
8- Well. I don’t know why, but it says that my old (and now re-used) home partition will be resized. WHY???. It’s a 175 GB partition. A resizing will last for days !!! I didn’t ask for a resizing. I just set the mount point as /home !
Going back and trying to de-select the home partition (I’ll do that after system boots), but I was forced to “undo all the changes” and re-do all (create EFI, set mounting point, create root) the manual partitioning. Otherwise, old home partition will be resized anyway.
It’s VERY annonying. VERY.

Screen 7: Installation
9- Again, all texts are in English, but some texts in the progress bar appear in Spanish.
A minor thing after all the battle with partitioning.
10- It said 15 minutes. Well… there weren’t 15 minutes but about 30 minutes. But it’s ok. I have new a full brand new OS in my box!
But one thing must be noted: in a previous build (probably 14222) it also said 15 minutes, but all the partitioning problem lead me to the resizing (of only a couple of sectors) of the home partition (the whole 175 GB for just a couple of sectors !!!; that’s why I now choose to not touch the existing old home partition). I was forced to stop the process and restart the installation (after more than one hour progress with the resizing). I have no elements to say if now is the same, but also I have no elements to say it changed. I think it says 15 minutes whatever the way it follows to install, which is misleading. If repartitioning, reformating of resizing processes are involved, the installation can last much more than 15 minutes.

Screen 8: Finish
11- I choose to reboot the system, but the screen blacks and the system hang up. I manually reboot.

The system goes to emergency mode after reboot. The culprit seems to be a UUID device:

early console in decompress_kernel
KASLR disabled by default…

Decompressing Linux… Parsing ELF… done.
Booting the kernel.
[ OK ] Started Show Plymouth Boot Screen.
[ OK ] Reached target Paths.
[ OK ] Reached target Basic System.
[ TIME ] Timed out waiting for device dev-disk-by\x2duuid-9b0188ff\x2dc091\x2d4948\x2db918\x2d11c118b4f1b4.device.
[DEPEND] Dependency failed for /sysroot.
[DEPEND] Dependency failed for Initrd Root File System.
[DEPEND] Dependency failed for Reload Configuration from the Real Root.
Warning: /dev/disk/by-uuid/ 9b0188ff-c091-4948-b918-11c118b4f1b4 does not
exist

Generating “/run/initramfs/rdsosreport.txt”

Entering emergency mode. Exit the shell to continue.
Type “journalctl” to view system logs.
You might want to save “/run/initramfs/rdsosreport.txt” to a USB stick or /boot after mounting them and attach it to a bug report.

:/# _

Probably the NTFS partition, as it was already stated here. I don’t know.

A question: Is it normal that after selecting OMV 2015, Plymouth shows the same splash screen than
OMV 2014???
I really think that OMV 2015 messed up some things .

Reboot. Select OMV 2014.2 at bootloader menu. Guess what ?!. Yes, emergency mode too.
Reboot again. Emergency mode again (sometimes in the past I got the things work again after a second reboot). I suspected a problem with a new? kernel (some packages, as cpupower, were recently updated to 4.5; my last usefull kernel is 4.1.18). Reboot again. This is getting worse……

Finally I could solve the problem. From the emergency prompt, root password, change the partitions and mounting points for OMV 2014 (as I have the new EFI partition). I force the two /boot/efi partitions (the existing in my OMV 2014 and the new one in the EFI partition) be the same. Just in case, I configure X to use noouveau, reboot, emergency again, configure X to use nvidia, reboot, ALL OK WITH OMV 2014. I hope I can fix OMV 2015 soon too !

I think that all the nightmare that came with the installation have its origin with the partitioning.

Also, I strongly reccomends that EFI partitions be created BEFORE installing OMV Lx3 in a running system.