Could be better

Thank you @D27 for enlarging the group of people who disagree to force users migration to Plasma5 environment without any alternative.

Half OffTopic:
R8 is also KDE4 version, not only Plasma5 :wink:
PS> Iā€™m running it.

But, but, but, Itā€™s compiled with Clang! Canā€™t you tell the difference??? Itā€™s so snappy! Except on some of my computers where 2014 actually works faster.

If you want to be ignored file a bug against a desktop issue in 3.0. I can compare our Plasma5 to openSUSE Leap 42.1 and ours is a bit of a turd. Not that SUSEā€™s is so great itā€™s just that we donā€™t have ability or interest to fix desktop bugs.

1 Like

I you want to find more developers probably you must have more users. But to have more users you need to have a quite good release and an EFFICIENT BUG SOLVING. Bug solving is one way to listen to users. Not the only way but important one, one more way is to follow forum discussions and requests.
Lx 3 is quite buggy, probably released too early, and bugs arenā€™t solved at all. Iā€™ve opened quite a lot of bugs and several are still untouched.
Few examples to give you an idea.

1. bug 1915, upgrading kernel reset boot settings. If I update I have to set again 18 pc in my school lab. Opened one month ago nobody care of, after one month same problem with a recent update. And is an old bug affecting previous version also.
  2. bug 1916 marked ā€œhighā€ and ā€œcriticalā€, very high level. In 20 days nobody care of. Solved with updates.
  3. bug 1930 marked ā€œhighā€ and ā€œblockerā€, almost the maximum level. It means that I canā€™t use this pc. Opened 4 days ago nobody tried to solve it.

Still about bugs. Sometime I get TPG answers that rarely solve the problem. Sometime he seems donā€™t even reading the question given that the answer is a nonsense. Often it ends his answer with ā€feel free to provide a patchā€ but Iā€™m an user that find bugs not a developer that solve them. He should be able to solve them! Someone should tell him ā€œfeel free to leave buzillaā€.

Iā€™m a long time Mandriva user, around ten years, but if it donā€™t improve Iā€™ll be forced to change distribution.

1 Like

Iā€™m aware that you do make an effort to help other users with problems. That is greatly appreciated.

Obviously OMA doesnā€™t have enough people to do what you want when you want it. I wish that werenā€™t true but it is. These are inherent problems with an all volunteer organization with to few active participants. It wonā€™t change as long as:

We have an oversupply of people to tell what is wrong.
We have an under supply to work, or learn how to, do things to make better.

This is unfortunately the state of both the Association and the Distro right now.
I donā€™t have any answer for this other than that the people who are here and are interested learn more to do more to make better. No one else is going to. We need to better to encourage new users in this regard. Currently not doing a good job of this IMHO.

If you think Lx3 is quite buggy (as do I) then please talk to our developers about this. I can assure you I and others on QA-Team have tried. All we hear is what a great desktop Plasma5 is with hardly any problems. To gain insight to this just go to #openmandriva-cooker @ Freenode on IRC and listen for a week or so.

Activity solving bugs has increased since om-qa-alerts was fixed about 2-3 weeks ago. One of my biggest complaints is that there isnā€™t enough activity solving bugs against Lx 3.0 especially desktop bugs. I hope, but am not sure, that over time we can make a dent in this.

@Giorgio, Ben tried to attract cookers attention on your bug/s in cooker ML.

This is getting better but is one of my biggest frustrations/disappointments with this distribution. Unfortunately EFFICIENT doesnā€™t fit with an all volunteer organization that is very short handed. From my perspective the complainers outweigh the doers keeping the doers busy on negative stuff until they quit in frustration.

1 Like

Not so clear what you suggest, probably because my low english knowledge. Reduce bugs?

From my point of view Lx3 seems an attracting opportunity for developers to test many new features (KDE5). But when users try to use it and have to fight with several bugs they could change distribution.
In my opinion if developers time is limited they should use more time to solve bugs than include new features.

That comment was not meant to describe you. It was meant to describe current state of this community. Your English is just fine and your bugs are reasonable. Behind the scenes there is actually work taking place on them.

Edit: You are considered a valuable community member.

Donā€™t worry this was clear to me. I wasnā€™t thinking you was criticizing me, I would just understand the meaning that wasnā€™t so clear to me.
And of course Iā€™m interested in understanding in which direction OMV is going.