Can't update Plymouth Alternatives

I am not at home right now but I didn’t get it. Should I run as ROOT the standard Plymouth commands to make it work? Isn’t doing “sudo” almost the same? Or I must somehow log in as root specifically for them?
Also there is the Config System option wich is bugged then since originally it gave those errors from it as I posted in the screenshot.

I will check this again as soon as I come back home to try. And yeah, thanks for the reminder of the theme, since I wasn’t able to select a new one I at least tried to edit the default first.

1 Like

Uh, and I just discovered that:

$ sudo dracut -f

does exactly the same as:

$ sudo dracut -f $(uname -r).img $(uname -r)

I never knew that. Which means I made things unnecessarily complicated for @Shinusagi. Apologies for that.

For all users: Either of the above commands will rebuild the initrd of your currently booted kernel.

Yup, alerady tried and using “sudo” works for the list.
Well, thanks a lot, I will be maybe asking for little stuff in the chat since I have no big issues now, only trying to finishing the customization of programs in the PC.
BTW I donated a moment ago not only because I like the project but also because the help you people give me these days, it really feels like there is people tryint to help, even with links and documentation.

Thanks a lot again for everthing! Cheers!

1 Like

Using sudo is the equivalent logging in to root in Konsole or terminal. Both provide ‘super user’ or root permissions.

So what happened here is that in fact ‘sudo dracut -f’ did work and I missed it because I was momentarily an idiot. And basically everything posted after that, (after post # 5), is irrelevant unless user learned something. I know I learned something but not very happy with what I learned… :hot_face:

Revelation: I hate it when I find out that I’m the dummy. :astonished:

1 Like

Oh right lol it actually worked because it didn’t give another error, I thought at that moment that without some sort of success line it did nothing when it was working actually.

Well… yes and no, or not always :grin:
In my experience I found that sudo+command sometimes complains, depending of how the command is structured so it wants to be run as true root/admin by su(+password)+command

@Shinusagi for you information when you see/read any command starting with the hashtag # it means that you need to run it as root: su(+password).
(Also if the person suggesting forgot to mention… hem… :roll_eyes: )

In the case in subject we discovered that the commands can be run as root or as sudo equally, but to be honest I never run them as sudo so I suggested what I knew working for sure aka what I personally always did.

When you run dracut command you notice it taking some time before to display you again the prompt. Also IIRC the console window title reads “dracut” while running the process.

Finally, yes the fake errors console complaints “module blabla... can't be installed” are a bit annoying also to me, and may be misleading to newbies.

Really appreciated, thank you very much.
Above all we do appreciate that the users acknowledge our efforts.
We always do our best. And for sure we would like to do even more :wink:

1 Like

The dracut errors have been mentioned to developers in the past as well as the desirability of removing them because they frighten users unnecessarily. Maybe this needs a bug report using this thread as an example of why it would be imminently wise to remove these “Seinfeld” errors (errors about nothing).

And it is obviously useful and desirable that thinks like dracut either have a progress bar or show “Something success” upon completion for newbies and less tech knowledgeable users. I don’t know why some do and some don’t except for the fact that Linux software is developed by 1000’s or 10,000’s of different developers.

Post-edit: However the counter argument is well worth mentioning. A dev might say “If you are running ‘dracut’ or other such system command you have chosen to customize your system yourself. That is fine as long as you except the responsibility to RTFM before you run such commands not after you have an issue. In short if user chooses to customize their system then user assumes the responsibility to RTFM.” I have been informed on multiple occasions that OM devs consider this to be a perfectly reasonable and acceptable approach for a distro like OM with a half dozen all volunteer devs. I find this difficult to argue with as someone well aware of OM’s resources.

1 Like

I’ve always believed and practice that if one is trying to transmit information to less tech knowledgeable users one should indicate what type of terminal is to be used using the $ for user terminal and # for root. IMO this should be standard practice but it is not. ( I think it common sense that users that post in a forum like this need to be assumed to be less tech knowledgeable initially.)

Regardless of the Command Line “issue” of not showing it “did something” I think the real problem here to start with is the System Config Panel since I tried with commands later (as I did in Ubuntu BTW) because the Panel gave me an error.

TBH I love that Panel option of being able to modify from the GUI something as the Loading Screen, but sadly it seems to be buggy or broken, still I apretiate the lessons I learned from all this and the help from you guys, thanks so much.

PD: Did someone already reported the starting problem? I didn’t since I wasn’t 100% sure it was a bug or something specific to me.

Answer here.

If this issue is resolved can we now close this thread so not to many people see me embarrassingly miss the point in post # 5 above. :thinking:

Please file a bug report. Instructions here.