Call for testing OMLx 4.0 znver1 ISO up-to-date release

We have an updated bugfixing ISO published at SourceForge available for download and testing
https://sourceforge.net/projects/openmandriva/files/release/4.0/
OpenMandrivaLx.4.0-plasma.znver1.iso

This ISO uses the Rock channel by default instead of Cooker
Packages updated to August 09, 2019

Can you please tell me what is different with it? because i hope i dont waste my time on it is its like poor that old Zenver1 the same bugs.

Already told:

But that did not give information to that users that use Cooker?

Did someone test browser? its look like firefox\ did not boot for long and the other browser that is default?
I did not get reboot\turn off computer to works, but its look like VPN and icon is fixed Rock did not have much updates yet, so is that higher priority than cooker?

Try to install Python TK, py-cpuinfo, Alien arena, xchat,

i need to use sudo dnf --nogpgcheck install gimp and blender to get it to works?

Huh? It is an ISO. You install it. When you install it you darn will better be installing it on a formatted / partition. When you formatted the / partition what ever was on it is deleted.

Note to all users: Never ever, ever, ever install OpenMandriva Lx on a partition with another os on it without formatting the / partition. Never, never, never. Just in case there are people that donā€™t know this.

If you install this ISO it will be using Rock repositories by default. (Edit) Use whatever you want but Rock is recommended for most users. And complain all you want about how outdated and crappy everything is.

To be fair to @lmh1 and all znver1 users this has probably not been well explained.

When OM Lx 4.0 was officially release unintentionally the znver1 ISO was built using Cooker repositories by default. This, though unintentional, was a rather big mistake. The new ISO which has already been put up on SourceForge and is going to be replaced on torrents and mirrors as well is to rectify that mistake. The purpose is to have an ISO that correctly uses Rock repositories by default as the x86_64 ISO already does.

The goal is to get znver1 users to not use Cooker and to use Rock instead. Cooker is for developers. We do not joke when we tell all of you:

We donā€™t say Cooker might break, we guarantee it! Cooker is for developers to do work. Work that can and does break things from time to time. Parts of Cooker will be broken at times. That is the nature of what developers do. In other words this is a fact.

Edit: Since most OM contributors donā€™t have Ryzen hardware we missed this for entirely to long. We all sincerely apologize for that.

Edit: Users are welcome to use whatever Release Version of OpenMandriva Lx they wish. But please do so intelligently and wisely. Anyone that choose either Cooker or Rolling needs to have an ability to deal with problems and ability to use command line.

And I feel it should be mentioned what znver1 is in the first place. It is an optimized version of OpenMandriva Lx operating system for AMD Zen processors (CPUā€™s). The Zen processors are also called Ryzen, Threadriper, and EPYC.

As far as how this is optimized Iā€™ll leave that explanation to @bero and other developers.

I do know that Zen users can use x86_64 or znver1 ISOā€™s. But those of us with Intel or other non-Zen CPUā€™s need to stick to the x86_64 ISO only.

I have fully format SSD before i upgrade openmandriva, from diskmanger from windows 10.
So its not that issue i get because of browser.

I do know that Zen users can use x86_64 or znver1 ISOā€™s. But those of us with Intel or other non-Zen CPUā€™s need to stick to the x86_64 ISO only.

Did you have test it? Its works nice with wmvare player\virtualbox so i think its possible to use with intel CPU, may give some issue but i did not think computer will give kernel panic. I dont have later than sandybridge\ivybrige other than laptop. AMD is low cost cpu and support more upgrade than intel, so i did not know why peaple buy intel from low cost contry.

But back to topic i need information about Rock and cooker, why can i add repo to get more packages? Because i did not know that i need creative a lot of post i want to test KDE\gnome\XFCE\mate and nvidia drivers, but did not find how to add it from rock repo? So i hope someone can help me how i go back to old times i tested beta version of openmandriva?

Because its take long time of set up openmandriva after installation.
I hope this is last time i need to completly reinstall operatingsystem, so if that charges repo its more easy or what did you think?

Still i get issue with m.2 PCI-E SSD drives, is its way to check drives from ubuntu? Or its it harder if fedora 30 did not support PCI-E SSD?

So let me make a suggestion. Boot the OM Lx ā€œLiveā€ ISO and in Konsole run:

$ sudo parted -l

$ inxi -f

In other words open Konsole and run both of those and then go to Tool Menu>Edit>Select All in Konsole and click on ā€˜Select Allā€™ and copy and paste everything to a .txt file and attach that here.

To continue with my suggestion lets see if we can get this issue corrected before trying to do anything else.

Training and education: The ā€˜sudo parted -lā€™ command should work in most any Linux distro including Fedora and Ubuntu. It tells what storage devices the operating system sees and a little information about each. Running this command in ā€˜Liveā€™ OM Lx ISO tells you what the installer will see. In other words if ā€˜sudo parted -lā€™ does not see your storage device the installer wonā€™t see it.

The other commonly used command for this is ā€˜fdisk -lā€™. Both ā€˜partedā€™ and ā€˜fdiskā€™ are commands and for both -l is an option meaning list. Both commands obviously can do a lot of other things. In OM Lx there is also a man (manual) page for ā€˜partedā€™. Also if interested see:

$ sudo parted --help

$ sudo fdisk --help

ā€˜inxi -Fā€™ gives a fairly through overview of system hardware.

If that isnā€™t adequately explained here Iā€™m not capable of explaining it.

As far as packages for any given release you have 4 different repository categories main, unsupported, restricted, and non-free. If the packages arenā€™t in those then we donā€™t have them. Users can make package requests for new packages, package upgrades, of fixing broken packages in our Issue Tracker.

Iā€™m well aware there is plenty to complain about with OpenMandriva Iā€™ve got my own list of complaints as does everyone else. I also know that other Linux distros are not perfect, trouble free, ā€œjust worksā€ like some folks like to claim. I know because Iā€™ve used them and still do from time to time.

But keep in mind that you have about a dozen all volunteer part time people doing everything in OpenMandriva. Distros you keep comparing us to like Fedora and Ubuntu have 1000ā€™s of people involved. So ask yourself if a distro with a dozen all volunteer part time people is going to be able to build a distro that has everything you want, and if we could how long would it take.

I donā€™t mean to be discouraging just realistic. This is absolutely a valid question for users to ask. And for some the answer will be yes but for many the answer will be no.

Anything that is formatted in Windows using disk-manager will have a
windows only format spec. If you want to install x86_64 ISO for Linux, you
need to change the
format spec. The latest method used for the TB drive is FAT. and the format
is windows.

I completely changed the content of this post because the original content was irrelevant to the actual issue. (And because I did some reading on this subject.)

Post-edit: I just need that output to get to the next problem solving step.

@lmh1 has already installed I believe multiple Linux operating systems so that isnā€™t the issue here. The issue as I understand is drives not being recognized by Linux operating system or OpenMandriva Lx. Drives formatted by or on Windows computers should be seen by Linux operating systems including OpenMandriva Lx.

Again we need that output, and @lmh1 needs to fix that issue before doing anything else. A big reason he keeps having problems with OM Lx is that he does not start at the beginning and solve problems one at the time. End-edit

I guess you only need openmandriva LX one drives samsung 850 evo 500 GB (ext3 file system) one partition. I have set up one 300 mb for UEFI boot.

inxi -f`model ryzen 7 1700.

I found out that Zenver1 works with vitualbox with intel NUC 5200U but i can not install firefox because unsupported platform but falcon browser is unstabile but works better with intel nuc. but crach some times.

If i try to run firefox from terminal i get:

Child 2408 chrome_childtread warning pipeerror 3 (connection refuse) reset by peer. exit during segment fault and channel error ipc_channel_pixit.cc line 358

So i guess that is configuration error in browser?

No, wrong answer. I need you to do exactly what I asked you to do. It is easy to do. You run 2 commands in Konsole(terminal) from the booted OM Lx ā€˜Liveā€™ ISO, you copy and paste all the output in a .txt file, and attach that here. What you posted is clearly not the output of ā€˜inxi -Fā€™ if you ever do that right youā€™ll see.

Quit getting side tracked by other problems. I want to deal with this only at this time:

First I need to understand what you trying to say. No one can fix ā€œan issueā€. We need to know exactly what the issue is. You arenā€™t making clear what is meant by ā€œan issueā€.

The short answer is yes. Iā€™m sure this is covered on Ubuntu forum and in their documentation. In fact I know it is.

PEBKAC_100

ubuntu.txt (2,9 KB)

openmandriva.txt (2,8 KB)

but i did not know how this can help, better to ask about motherboard Asus X370 Pro.

Thanks for providing requested information. We donā€™t know for sure what can help because we still donā€™t know what the issue is. Let me try this again.

What is the issue? I see one drive listed in the Ubuntu output that is not listed in the OpenMandriva output. Is that the issue or is there more?

Yes, i got some like ā€œnvme nvme0:failed to set APST feature (-19)ā€

So did i need touse " nvme_core.default_ps_max_latency_us=0" to kernel parameter?

And get slow boot time (ubuntu\mint\fedora) is much faster than openmandriva, so i think its because poor motherboard drivers?