Black screen, anyone else had?

Hello,

OMV LX 3.02

Recent update for x11-server-xorg (and other two related packages) yielded problems to launch game brutalchess. Upon restarting, I got a blackscreen with cursor in the middle instead of sddm initialization.
I used XFdrake in recovery mode to fix it. Everything seems fine now.

Why did it happened?

It’s like there is a problem with hardware acceleration. A log from X is needed.

How to get this log. Please put the command. Thanks…

The log file is /var/log/Xorg.0.log.

Xorg.0.log is updated everytime X is started, right?

I should have copied this log before I run XFdrake and fixed the problem…

Yes, it is ,but if you have Xorg.0.log.old this is the previous log.

I have rebooted a few times since then. I can’t see any error message at Xorg.0.log.old, maybe I don’t know where to look for. I’m attaching Xorg.0.log and Xorg.0.log.old just in case someone else can find any clue.
PS: I had to add a suffix txt to comply with attachments restrictions in this site.

Xorg.0.log.txt (32,7 KB)
Xorg.0.log.old.txt (31,9 KB)

In your logs i see xorg.blacklist=nouveau
Please blame nvidia proprietary drives which you are using. Maybe you should rebuild dkms-nvidia ?

BTW.
If you want to provide logs please use omv-bug-report tool.

xorg.blacklist=nouveau is the trick not to have nouveau loaded at boot. I have a dual graphic laptop: intel + nvidia. General graphic support is provided by intel’s card. Nvidia is currently handled by bumblebee which loads nvidia drivers only upon request. If nouveau gets the scene at boot nvidia drivers won’t be loaded.

Thus, nvidia driver is not loaded at boot and it has nothing to do with the problem. I usually set intel’s graphic drivers to be load on boot using XFdrake.

Log files.Xorg.0.log.txt (38.0 KB)
Xorg.0.log.old.txt (25.6 KB)

After yesterdays updates again this happen.

Xorg.0.log.txt (44.3 KB)
Xorg.0.log.old.txt (25.3 KB)

Question to all of you once you get the black screen does screen revert to normal after reboot?

Does more drastic step like turning off computer completely and being sure to drain residual electrical energy by also turning of power supply and being sure all electricity is drained from computer before turning on again and restarting illuminate your screen? Remember after all the power is off and power supply is off you push the start button and about 15-20 seconds of electricity glows and bleeds off in a few spots before machine is really clear. Then you Wait 60-120 second and restart machine to see if screen illumines.

Or is this just black screen city all day long?

Do you read the logs yourself? The old log shows a nvidia driver being used see line 53. The current log does not. And the current log also shows that nouveau and nv drivers can’t load. So for some reason, maybe a kernel update, nvidia modules didn’t get loaded. Running XFdrake might fix.

1 Like

Yes need to configure again after running XFdrake